CharlieK

Hey, Long Island Guys????

Rate this topic

32 posts in this topic

Just curious if anyone is catching ocean side. No locations needed, just anywhere along Long Island to see if there are fish coming down still.  Basically, in Jersey, the bite in the northern part of the coast died a few days ago and got strong in central part. Hoping this is not the last push, especially since the past week produced quite a few fish less than 15 inches.

My son just purchased a house in Oceanside and on the weekend he is catching Stripers with the lures that I gave him that slowed down catching fish in Brooklyn...

Fish a cast Sunday 12/1 from sun up till about 12:30 pm on a mid western suffolk south shore beach.... mixed size but plenty of 22, 24" fish in the mix... definitely not all rats...

The caveat is if you were one of the diamond jig / teaser guys reeling like it was early october you weren't doing so good..... they left early  scratchinng their heads.

1 hour ago, BillZ said:

Fish a cast Sunday 12/1 from sun up till about 12:30 pm on a mid western suffolk south shore beach.... mixed size but plenty of 22, 24" fish in the mix... definitely not all rats...

The caveat is if you were one of the diamond jig / teaser guys reeling like it was early october you weren't doing so good..... they left early  scratchinng their heads.

Reeling too fast?

37 mins ago, CLFish5 said:

Reeling too fast?

Imo, these fish are getting lethargic, every day a smaller & smaller percentage are chasing down a fast moving target, most of these fish are rooting around sucking sand eels off the bottom.

If you ask me, that's probably not gonna change much from here on out....

Everyone has their own style of fishing & i respect that but imo, If they're still around,  Slow jigging  rubber on a small jig head with 2 or 3 inch hops & just staying in contact with slight rod lifts along the way'll get the job done just fine, keep it out there forever.... takes some mental reprogramming to not reel but stick with it....

think lmb fishing with a plastic worm.

leave the diamonds in the truck, try using thin rubber like fin-s fish, 4" sluggos, etc on a 1/2 or 3/4 oz jighead.

Regards...

Had fish Sat the 30th at a south shore sandy beach. Most in the 22-24 range, some nice and fat. slow bounce with A-27 and a bucktail with white twister caught them. Slower the better.

The stripers are still here but there real small around a foot or so in length. They are also very lethargic and sluggish and for the past couple of days have been unwilling to strike at a lure or pick up a bunker long enough for me to set the hook. I have been catching small tomcod to keep me busy but it is not worth driving to NY for. Prep for the spring season.

1 hour ago, BillZ said:

Imo, these fish are getting lethargic, every day a smaller & smaller percentage are chasing down a fast moving target, most of these fish are rooting around sucking sand eels off the bottom.

If you ask me, that's probably not gonna change much from here on out....

Everyone has their own style of fishing & i respect that but imo, If they're still around,  Slow jigging  rubber on a small jig head with 2 or 3 inch hops & just staying in contact with slight rod lifts along the way'll get the job done just fine, keep it out there forever.... takes some mental reprogramming to not reel but stick with it....

think lmb fishing with a plastic worm.

leave the diamonds in the truck, try using thin rubber like fin-s fish, 4" sluggos, etc on a 1/2 or 3/4 oz jighead.

Regards...

They use the Avas because they think they won't reach the fish with a small jig head.

Posted (edited) · Report post

10 hours ago, CharlieK said:

They use the Avas because they think they won't reach the fish with a small jig head.

Its fun to watch when they're actually right at your feet at the beach lip :)

Edited by BillZ