KennebecJake

Scott "Tidal" 6wt for the salt......

Rate this topic

16 posts in this topic

Haven't tried the Tidal, but have fished a Scott Meridian and Radian, 

I liked both of them.

The Merdian was just discontinued and replaced by the Sector.

For a bit more money at close-out pricing you might also want to consider the Meridian as well as the Tidal.

Good luck in your search.

SF 

I have the 8wt Tidal. Not as fast as I’d like. Seems best suited to short, delicate presentations rather than speed and distance, which is what I was looking for. Ended up getting a new old stock 8wt STS this spring to replace it. I also have a 10wt STS and it’s an absolute cannon. Apparently it was the “meridian” of its day. 

Where are you fishing?  6 weight with any bulk on the fly or wind will be a challenge.  Likewise, current on schoolies or bigger fish and you will be undergunned.

On 12/2/2019 at 7:22 PM, KennebecJake said:

Anybody tried one? I'm interested to hear your thoughts....

As others have mentioned, the rod is too slow to really punch big stuff out there. 6wt in the salt is not really much of a rod to begin with, so I would look at an 8-9 second hand meridian. If you want a faster rod than the meridian look at the loomis nrx. Those rods also trade hands fairly often on the boards. 

I test cast a 6wt Scott Tidal and a 6 wt T&T Zone side by side this year.  The Scott was nicely appointed but I thought the Zone (at the same price) was a notably better performer.

That said, rods are a personal thong. Your experience may differ. Cast before you buy!

I think it really depend on where you are fishing and what you are fishing for.

Out where I live, 6 wt is probably the most used rod in the salt. It really lets the fish show their stuff and can handle larger fish that you might encounter.

They can easily cast a clouser with 5/32 eyes and can handle a good amount of wind.

I will say that some of the salty 6's I've cast in the past seem like 7 wts in disguise.

SF