salt deficient

Dry top ideas?

14 posts in this topic

Looking to extend kayak fishing with wearing waders on the bottom, and putting a dry top on top.  And adding wader belt.  Poor mans dry suit.....

I got a guy cotten one for surf fishing for me.

Girlfriend needs ones.   She don't like stuff on her neck too much.  Think the neptune Anorack will do it?   Not sure if that has a waist cuff.  It has wrist cuffs.

I bought this one a couple years ago. NRS Orion semi- dry top. I really wanted a top with a good quality hood and face shield for wind, spray etc. Has all the features you'd expect in a quality semi dry. Neoprene neck, latex wrists, inner skirt hand warmer pockets, hood etc. I've been really happy with it and use it as a surf top as well. Just noticed it's on sale on their site for about $100 less than what I paid @ $284.00. Worth a look

T

20022_01_Right_Hood_Up_021517_1000x1000.jpg

Posted (edited) · Report post

8 hours ago, salt deficient said:

Looking to extend kayak fishing with wearing waders on the bottom, and putting a dry top on top.  And adding wader belt.  Poor mans dry suit.....

I got a guy cotten one for surf fishing for me.

Girlfriend needs ones.   She don't like stuff on her neck too much.  Think the neptune Anorack will do it?   Not sure if that has a waist cuff.  It has wrist cuffs.

Latex at the wrists and Neoprene or Latex at the neck. If it doesn't have both? Its not a semi or full dry top.  More like splash top. If you still want to see if it works? Go for a swim in the shallows. 

Edited by The Riddler

Hope like hell you're not in the NE, because if you are and are seriously considering the Anorack, then you've not understood all the warnings on this site about dressing appropriately. Good luck.

I went with the NRS top.  Buy good only cry once......

Believe me I respect the water.  However, checking out this stuff is tough when your live 2 hours from the coast...….

The NRS Orion is real nice, I wish they had some color choice. I got enough of that color in the 70’s! I’m also looking at the Aquaskinz Phantom and Raptor, which are also on sale on their site.

3 hours ago, cheech said:

The NRS Orion is real nice, I wish they had some color choice. I got enough of that color in the 70’s! I’m also looking at the Aquaskinz Phantom and Raptor, which are also on sale on their site.

First question I asked. Does it come in any other colors? On the + side they'll always see you OTW

I have absolutely zero confidence in NRS unless I buy it from REI... then when it goes to ****, because it will, its money back or you get another one. You can't lose there. 

I was considering going the two-piece route like you mentioned, but then discovered that semi-dry suits can sometimes be found for significantly less money than a full drysuit, and on some models the only difference is that a semi-dry has a neoprene, rather than latex, neck - which I prefer anyway. For the way that I fish, I do not need a full drysuit.

Edited by fishinbill

17 mins ago, fishinbill said:

I was considering going the two-piece route like you mentioned, but then discovered that semi-dry suits can sometimes be found for significantly less money than a full drysuit, and on some models the only difference is that a semi-dry has a neoprene, rather than latex, neck - which I prefer anyway. For the way that I fish, I do not need a full drysuit.

The only difference is Neoprene at the neck. I just swapped out my latex neck for a neoprene neck. It's more durable. I hope.

If your over 40, you may want a fly in any full suit, ha ha. I already have the older blue version of the AS Raptor top, so the hooded semi-dry Phantom for $210 is looking good.