CharlieK

I HATE AVAS

Rate this topic

29 posts in this topic

Dad taught you well Grasshopper.

i have been using that small 4 3/4 in Yozuri for a few weeks now.  Sometimes they want it moving slow and sometimes  a little faster, but this week I would cast it into the white water after a wave broke close enough to the shoreline and just let it sit there with just a twitch and they would kill it.

By the way, how is the old fart?

Edited by CharlieK
Added 4 3/4

50 mins ago, CharlieK said:

Dad taught you well Grasshopper.

i have been using that small 3/4 in Yozuri for a few weeks now.  Sometimes they want it moving slow and sometimes me tines a little faster, but this week I would cast it into the white water after a wave broke close enough to the shoreline and just let it sit there with just a twitch and they would kill it.

By the way, how is the old fart?

That bum!  I tried to convince him To go with me but he begged off. Too cold. I said too old. Otherwise he is doing well. Still going to try after this front and get him up there before the rats leave. 

4 hours ago, hobobob said:

My version of the Avas.  Super high tech, super realistic sand eel imitation. The tube one are for when I need to punch into the wind or a bit of distance. Not quite diamond jig distance, but close enough.  Yes, those are stripe bass teeth marks.

5de5a0af30351_Ziptiedgreentube.jpg.57541b2e65226f3072cc0b53d1cb59f5.jpg

Zip tie ! - that's a hell of an idea ! :idea:

1 hour ago, Steve in Mass said:

"I HATE AVAS"

:laugh:

I think you post that same thing every year...... ;)

How ya been, bud? :wave: Didn't run across you this November when I was down.

Sometimes prayers are answered.

Does color matter? Sure it does but its not always and IMO usually not the number 1 variable. This fall when I caught on plugs, it didnt matter if they were bone, school bus, green back etc. It was the correct presentation that was needed. Same thing with the ava jigs. For me it didnt matter if it was a white tail, red tail, black tail, green tail etc. it was the presentation that mattered and for one of my trips, actually needing the distance a jig offers. With that being said - I prefer my jigs to be a little different than the copied ava style(ill still use them too) and prefer no tail or maybe some bucktail/hair.

3 hours ago, Basswiper said:

Does color matter? Sure it does but its not always and IMO usually not the number 1 variable. This fall when I caught on plugs, it didnt matter if they were bone, school bus, green back etc. It was the correct presentation that was needed. Same thing with the ava jigs. For me it didnt matter if it was a white tail, red tail, black tail, green tail etc. it was the presentation that mattered and for one of my trips, actually needing the distance a jig offers. With that being said - I prefer my jigs to be a little different than the copied ava style(ill still use them too) and prefer no tail or maybe some bucktail/hair.

my bud on LI>Robert Moses Stae Park sez he was killing them on all black avas including the tail and body....shrink wrapped the body and bought black tubes.

I just painted everything....of course only lasts 1-2 trips :rolleyes:

FWIW....didn't make a diff here in the NMOCO surf for me....green , red etc all worked when they wuz here.

Edited by MarkG

Gold did well for me. I like any single hook when school fish are around. Gets the fish back quick and keeps hooks out of your hands. Small fish can be hard to get a handle on. 

E0C52848-A6C3-4990-BB0E-BD7B0DDA1751.png