CharlieK

I HATE AVAS

Rate this topic

29 posts in this topic

Well, I don't really hate them because I will use them occasionally, but only in desperation when nothing else is working and I haven't had a bite in a while.   I actually don't like using any metal, as plugs of all types are my preference.  Metal is just to add distance to a cast if that is what is needed and it is usually the delivery service for my teasers. 

Over the past week or two, the local "fishing reports" have advised fishermen to use Ava with green tail if you want to catch fish.  Come on guys, diversify a little. Throw an Ava with a white or black tail.  Sorry, but it just disturbs me to ride the beach for 4 miles and see EVERY angler throwing a green tailed AVA. Sure many are catching and maybe that's all they know how to catch them so more power to them.

Here is my best story    for the past week on the beach and a short "fishing report" that is rare coming from me.  Now this is not a spot burn, because most of you know where I fish 100 % of the time and I like having my truck by my side (hint, hint). 

Monday and Tuesday produced fish as usual for the dawn and dusk session, but for my area we had a rare daytime bite that had a pattern of starting about 1 1/2 hours after the turn. I took the holiday break and returned on Friday, hearing stories from many anglers that Wednesday and Thursday were by far the best 2 days of the fall season. Not so much quality, but the quantity was there for sure.

On Saturday the brown water and large swell caused me to get skunked in the early morning, so after breakfast I heading back out around 1:00 PM.  I went to a spot that gave up some fish all week for me and I knew the sand eels were there because me and a friend stabbed a few on tin squids on Tuesday.  I arrived to find the bar deserted as most anglers didn't return after breakfast because of the poor bite earlier.  Remember I don't like throwing metal. so I was hoping for some fish in closer.  The bar had all of the elements that I wanted with a long white water trail starting at the break and rolling onto the beach in the middle of the bar and  a deep water trough on each side.  I used a Vision Surf Eel  aka MC55, with a Femlee sand eel teaser that is about 8 inches long. First cast into the middle of the bar just when the wave is breaking and retrieved all the way to the beach lip when the first fish takes the Vision Eel.  Second fish comes from the same location, bit on the teaser.

After no hits for about 10 casts, I move to the dropoff on the left side trough.  First cast is a fish on the teaser and a short while later one on the Vision at the same location.  Again with no fish for a dozen casts and I move to the right side trough which evidently is the new location that these fish want to feed in.  The pattern here is that as the tide level changed, so did the optimum feeding and ambush location for these fish.

Now comes the point that i am trying to make with this story.  After the second fish, I was spotted by other anglers nearby and I knew the mugging was soon to be. Luckily, they were all considerate enough to keep a reasonable distance while still managing to cast in my direction. By about 3:15 I caught the last fish at this location which turned out to be the biggest of the session at about 26 inches. By this time there were 4 trucks with 2 men to each truck on my left and 3 trucks to my right with 2 men to each truck making a total of about 14 guys. Of course all 14 were throwing green tailed Avas all the way out to the large breakers at the end of the bar.  From what I saw, there was not one hookup from any of them while I got about 8 fish all within 30 feet of the beach. 

Pictures of tackle to follow hopefully, but no fish pictures.

Cheers!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wanna hear a funny story I had last week? So like you Im not a fan of everyone throwing the same exact offering. Very lazy and not very creative. So I did my walk throwing everything except the ava....caught nothing. Then on my way back up the beach I had a chat with some of people grouped together shoulder to shoulder on one piece of sand. Apparently they killed em! On what you might ask? Green tailed ava !  So yes its great to be original and creative...but sometimes it helps not to be stubborn and give the fish what they want!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree, but as I said, I will go to the Ava when I am desperate enough.  

And I forgot to add to my story, that after the bite died at about 3:15, the group to my left started to pick up fish out on the far bar with their green tailed Avas.  With the dropping tide, I lost my water and the fish moved out. I would still bet that if I could reach those fish with my Vision and 8 inch sand eel teaser I would probably out fish them.

I am not saying that I am a better fisherman than any of them, my point is to diversify in some way either by color, speed of retrieve, profile or location and find the feeding fish.

Another example is that on Monday I had fish steadily on a small freshwater Yozuri swimmer and than the bite stopped.  I than sped up the retrieve and the bite started up again in the same spot on the first cast with the faster retrieve.  Maybe lucky or fish just moved in or whatever, but I'm going with the change in speed.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've watched guys bomb their 17s over the fish I was catching then when it gets 10 feet from the lip (which was where they were at) they reel in fast and recast....while I bang away on a sluggo on a 3/8 jig just hung on the lip.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My version of the Avas.  Super high tech, super realistic sand eel imitation. The tube one are for when I need to punch into the wind or a bit of distance. Not quite diamond jig distance, but close enough.  Yes, those are stripe bass teeth marks.

 

ava.jpg.f71d084f722fe8ee7f42b9361813cf7e.jpg

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 mins ago, hobobob said:

My version of the Avas.  Super high tech, super realistic sand eel imitation. The tube one are for when I need to punch into the wind or a bit of distance. Not quite diamond jig distance, but close enough.  Yes, those are stripe bass teeth marks.

 

ava.jpg.f71d084f722fe8ee7f42b9361813cf7e.jpg

 

 

 

LOL, I use the tubes as teasers sometimes, never thought of putting one on a jig head. Bonus points for the zip tie!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 mins ago, hobobob said:

My version of the Avas.  Super high tech, super realistic sand eel imitation. The tube one are for when I need to punch into the wind or a bit of distance. Not quite diamond jig distance, but close enough.  Yes, those are stripe bass teeth marks.

 

ava.jpg.f71d084f722fe8ee7f42b9361813cf7e.jpg

 

 

 

Stripe Bass don't have teeth?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, hobobob said:

My version of the Avas.  Super high tech, super realistic sand eel imitation. The tube one are for when I need to punch into the wind or a bit of distance. Not quite diamond jig distance, but close enough.  Yes, those are stripe bass teeth marks.

 

ava.jpg.f71d084f722fe8ee7f42b9361813cf7e.jpg

 

 

 

Try hooking the pintail so the hook is on the ribbed side. It gives it crazy action when twitched. Those are my absolute favorite soft baits. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 mins ago, coldclam said:

Try hooking the pintail so the hook is on the ribbed side. It gives it crazy action when twitched. Those are my absolute favorite soft baits. 

I was looking for a place with more "meat" for the hook slot.  Using a razor blade, I slice through the middle, from where the hook point start to about an inch after hook bend. creating a hook slot. Cut off the tip, krazy glue it to the jig head.  The hook slot let the plastic bend and flex instead of tearing up on bite and hooksets. Making it much more durable than The middle two have taken at least 100+ schoolie each.   I created the bottom tube ones when wind is blowing hard at my face, I can't reach the rip with the black ones. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ava's certainly aren't my favorite to fish with. I often won't even use them until the sandeels dig in. I find that lighter soft plastics are much more effective and more versatile. But, that being said there is a time and place for them. Just last week i was fishing an area that has been producing regularly. People were throwing tsunmi sandeels, various soft plastics on jig heads, teasers, plugs and we were picking a fish here or there. Fishing was much slower than it had been. Then I bounced a green tail ava on the bottom or did a VERY slow retrieve and was getting 3-4 hits a cast and hooking up every cast for 45min. Next day, they wouldn't touch it and were back on the plastics. Thats just what they wanted that day. These fish are so interesting to try to fool sometimes, one reason why i love bass fishing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, CharlieK said:

Well, I don't really hate them because I will use them occasionally, but only in desperation when nothing else is working and I haven't had a bite in a while.   I actually don't like using any metal, as plugs of all types are my preference.  Metal is just to add distance to a cast if that is what is needed and it is usually the delivery service for my teasers. 

Over the past week or two, the local "fishing reports" have advised fishermen to use Ava with green tail if you want to catch fish.  Come on guys, diversify a little. Throw an Ava with a white or black tail.  Sorry, but it just disturbs me to ride the beach for 4 miles and see EVERY angler throwing a green tailed AVA. Sure many are catching and maybe that's all they know how to catch them so more power to them.

Here is my best story    for the past week on the beach and a short "fishing report" that is rare coming from me.  Now this is not a spot burn, because most of you know where I fish 100 % of the time and I like having my truck by my side (hint, hint). 

Monday and Tuesday produced fish as usual for the dawn and dusk session, but for my area we had a rare daytime bite that had a pattern of starting about 1 1/2 hours after the turn. I took the holiday break and returned on Friday, hearing stories from many anglers that Wednesday and Thursday were by far the best 2 days of the fall season. Not so much quality, but the quantity was there for sure.

On Saturday the brown water and large swell caused me to get skunked in the early morning, so after breakfast I heading back out around 1:00 PM.  I went to a spot that gave up some fish all week for me and I knew the sand eels were there because me and a friend stabbed a few on tin squids on Tuesday.  I arrived to find the bar deserted as most anglers didn't return after breakfast because of the poor bite earlier.  Remember I don't like throwing metal. so I was hoping for some fish in closer.  The bar had all of the elements that I wanted with a long white water trail starting at the break and rolling onto the beach in the middle of the bar and  a deep water trough on each side.  I used a Vision Surf Eel  aka MC55, with a Femlee sand eel teaser that is about 8 inches long. First cast into the middle of the bar just when the wave is breaking and retrieved all the way to the beach lip when the first fish takes the Vision Eel.  Second fish comes from the same location, bit on the teaser.

After no hits for about 10 casts, I move to the dropoff on the left side trough.  First cast is a fish on the teaser and a short while later one on the Vision at the same location.  Again with no fish for a dozen casts and I move to the right side trough which evidently is the new location that these fish want to feed in.  The pattern here is that as the tide level changed, so did the optimum feeding and ambush location for these fish.

Now comes the point that i am trying to make with this story.  After the second fish, I was spotted by other anglers nearby and I knew the mugging was soon to be. Luckily, they were all considerate enough to keep a reasonable distance while still managing to cast in my direction. By about 3:15 I caught the last fish at this location which turned out to be the biggest of the session at about 26 inches. By this time there were 4 trucks with 2 men to each truck on my left and 3 trucks to my right with 2 men to each truck making a total of about 14 guys. Of course all 14 were throwing green tailed Avas all the way out to the large breakers at the end of the bar.  From what I saw, there was not one hookup from any of them while I got about 8 fish all within 30 feet of the beach. 

Pictures of tackle to follow hopefully, but no fish pictures.

Cheers!

Between you and my father during my formative years I despise the Ava as well. Had the same thing on Friday but north of you where OConnor has been fishing. Snapped on the small Megabait and had the fifteen guys around me talking to themselves as they threw out their shoulders chucking green AVAS. One guy actually walked into where I was catching and I told him the fish were all along the cut. He snorted at me. So I walked over to his previous foot prints and hooked up. Walked back to where I was and hooked up again. Laughing my ass off the entire time. All for a 20 inch fish. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.