scoobydoo

Van Staal sold to pure fishing

Rate this topic

66 posts in this topic

On 12/2/2019 at 5:16 PM, rbart said:

Hopefully Pure Fishing will make the Fin Nor with the dual drag again. Still have my original 16A. Great reel.

On the other hand, Chinese made VS reels are a joke. The US made ones were the gold standard for 15 years plus, but they can’t even get their drag right nowadays on an $800 reel. They can’t even get the VR right (side plate). Craig has always been nice and helpful to me, but I’m not buying that ‘the drag is smooth, it’s just that the line was spooled improperly, you have to set the hook repeatedly, etc” Lost many good fish over a week long stretch bc the drag wouldn’t budge before I realized that it wasn’t user error. Yet people will still continue to buy them because of their fandom on social media (that once included me). 

Glad I sold mine. Will continue fishing my 704s and 706s which have a better drag then any other high end surf reel. They haven’t failed me, they’ve just died after years of abuse. And I’ve caught waaaay more quality fish on my Penns. Not saying id buy any other  Penn products, just that when I get the money again, I’ll get a ZB.

Sucks, I remember when VS was being made 15 min down the road from me in MA, when they were reliable tanks of a reel. Still have their original stickers. Now I know better. 

9A300B36-FCF2-4037-920C-A5A53889FF45.jpeg

I own US and Chinese made Van Staal and I don’t notice any differences. Not talking VR. Never liked that reel

Edited by levari

23 hours ago, hobobob said:

Give me another spinning reel with a more powerful gear train. I am all ears.

How does one objectively measure the power of a spinning reel’s “gear train”?

On 12/2/2019 at 9:20 AM, Tagman said:

Quality already is down. The VR series is a disgrace. Especially at there asking price.

Maybe VS can take some lessons from Penn. For a little more than half the price of the VR, the Slammer 3 is a more substantial and better quality reel.

The Slammer3 is not more substantial or better quality than the VR reels. That’s just a silly statement across the board. The VR’s are by no means perfect and the price range certainly debatable but it’s a level above the Slammer3. I’ve had both and the Slammer3 is MORE of a boat reel than anything else.  The 4500 are too small to be an everyday surf reel @ 14.7oz and doesnt fish 30lb braid well. 
5500 reel is a clunker at 22.4oz

6500 is over 24oz @ might serve as a chunk reel of anything. These reels are way to big and bulky for a surf plugging outfit. 

Edited by jsbergen
Spell

14 hours ago, levari said:

I own US and Chinese made Van Staal and I don’t notice any differences. Not talking VR. Never liked that reel

I notice my chinese VS's are smoother and have less reeling resistance than my US made ones.

Could just be my copies though.

*i prefer the smoother versions :)

Edited by Deepshax

28 mins ago, Deepshax said:

I notice my chinese VS's are smoother and have less reeling resistance than my US made ones.

Could just be my copies though.

*i prefer the smoother versions :)

No like ZB, the VS reels feels differently from one another..Regardless if it is US or Chinese made. My VS200is US and it is as smooth astheVS250. My VS150 is US and it gives you grinding feeling. Q from River Ends told me not to worry since some of them gives you that feeling.

Edited by levari

20 mins ago, levari said:

No like ZB, the VS reels feels differently from one another..Regardless if it is US or Chinese made. My VS200is US and it is as smooth astheVS250. My VS150 is US and it gives you grinding feeling. Q from River Ends told me not to worry since some of them gives you that feeling.

I think its even more exacerbated b/c my versions are right hand retrieve's which I believe have always been notoriously "tight" compared to the standard versions.

On another note, I do really love my ZB, it has quickly become my go to even though it is a bit heavier.  

Edited by Deepshax