scoobydoo

Van Staal sold to pure fishing

Rate this topic

80 posts in this topic

14 mins ago, aae0130 said:

Not exactly true. It also depends an the gear it’s mated with. 

Give me another spinning reel with a more powerful gear train. I am all ears.

18 mins ago, valentine said:

Penn 706 and 704 is all anyone ever needs. 

Been there, done that. You couldn’t pay me to fish with that crap. 

I’d love to know what the long term plan is. Any chance the VR’s price comes into line with the Tsunami Saltx? I’d already have purchased the Saltx if I knew where to service it and if I knew I could get parts a couple of years down the line. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

59 mins ago, hobobob said:

No.....not questioning that those reels you mentioned have huge torque. 

My statement was only meant for the “larger gears = more torque. That isn’t always true. Sometimes larger gears are mated with smaller gears to give higher speed (like the 6.2:1 ratios) which results in less torque which means a slight loss of mechanical advantage when reeling in fish.

Edited by aae0130

4 mins ago, BigRedBearClaw said:

I’d love to know what the long term plan is. Any chance the VR’s price comes into line with the Tsunami Saltx? I’d already have purchased the Saltx if I knew where to service it and if I knew I could get parts a couple of years down the line. 

...Long term plan, yeah, wouldn’t that be a good idea! In a (ok, MY..) perfect world, Pure Fishing would create a center of excellence for for reel engineering and design while bringing more manufacturing back to the U.S. Realistically, this would only be for higher end reels. Technology benefits would be shared between the brands, much in the same way auto manufacturers do. 

In addition to engineering excellence, they would pull their collective heads from their asses when it comes to marketing. 

The result would mean that VS remains in it’s niche as a speciality reel, but manufacturing goes to Penn in Philly. Among other things  Penn releases a top end spinner that successfully competes with Stella and Saltga. Maybe that would be an upgraded torque with ultralight versions of the slammer competing with the twin power. 

What I’d really like to see is a sealed high speed reel in the $300-$375 range. I think they can do a better job than the Slammer 3 6500HS.

I love my slammer 3 just wish they offered a bailless kit.  I am interested to see what happens to the torque line as well as the service for the van staals.  

Posted (edited) · Report post

8 hours ago, hobobob said:

Is the Diawa Saltiga/-Dogfight-/"H"-/ "Expedition" models non-comparable to your drivetrain theory? They are enormous spinning reels meant for dishing out large drag and large retrieval rates?  I'm not being a wise ass; just figured I'd ask a legitimate question. 

Edited by SouthCoastSurfFishermen

19 hours ago, hobobob said:

Drag number and ball bearing number are just for shows. the drive train is the heart and soul of any reel.  Name one spinning reel that has beefier gear train than these two? 

Your Okuma Makaira spinning reels.