scoobydoo

Van Staal sold to pure fishing

Rate this topic

66 posts in this topic

16 mins ago, Drew C. said:

a bigger threat to vs and zb is the declining bass stock. Those reels don’t see much use beyond that. 

They have a decent market down in florida for snook/tarpon.  99.9% definitely dont get dunked or even splashed but go take a walk over any decent snook bridge at night in south florida and you'll see van staals all over the place.  Not entirely sure why they took off down there but guys love em.  Funny guys get their balls busted up here for having a VS if they dont go swimming with it, down there theyre mostly 10'+ above the water.

Edited by bbfish

21 mins ago, Drew C. said:

a bigger threat to vs and zb is the declining bass stock. Those reels don’t see much use beyond that. 

He's right!  VS probably seen the handwriting and it was time to bail! (no pun intended)

41 mins ago, hobobob said:

I would like to see a abu-van morrum. 

Been van staal free for about a year now.  Spring in the back, fall with small bass, simply no need for it. 

I sold one vs recently and will sell either another one or a zb. Just trying to decide. 

Edited by Drew C.

1 hour ago, bbfish said:

They have a decent market down in florida for snook/tarpon.  99.9% definitely dont get dunked or even splashed but go take a walk over any decent snook bridge at night in south florida and you'll see van staals all over the place.  Not entirely sure why they took off down there but guys love em.  Funny guys get their balls busted up here for having a VS if they dont go swimming with it, down there theyre mostly 10'+ above the water.

VS and ZB has the largest gears in the industry. Bigger gear = more cranking power (torque). Easier to work heavy and more resistant stuff in the current. 

5 mins ago, hobobob said:

VS and ZB has the largest gears in the industry. Bigger gear = more cranking power (torque). Easier to work heavy and more resistant stuff in the current. 

By all means get a van staal if you want, its your money. I own VS because they get submerged and I agree that they are tanks. But almost none of these guys are just cranking on their reel against the current, they're pumping their fish relying on the drag/rod to do the work, and the reel to pick up slack.  I would argue there are dozens of reels with the required gears/drag/capacity for hundreds less.

8 mins ago, bbfish said:

By all means get a van staal if you want, its your money. I own VS because they get submerged and I agree that they are tanks. But almost none of these guys are just cranking on their reel against the current, they're pumping their fish relying on the drag/rod to do the work, and the reel to pick up slack.  I would argue there are dozens of reels with the required gears/drag/capacity for hundreds less.

Drag number and ball bearing number are just for shows. the drive train is the heart and soul of any reel.  Name one spinning reel that has beefier gear train than these two? 

2 mins ago, hobobob said:

Drag number and ball bearing number are just for shows. the drive train is the heart and soul of any reel.  Name one spinning reel that has beefier gear train than these two? 

I guess my point is that the max torque of a reel is overrated after a certain point.  If your drag is set to 10 lbs youre not providing extra pressure with heavier gears.  They may be less prone to damage, but there are plenty of reels on the market with more than suitable internals.

You made the assumption, not I.  Notice I never mentioned anything about bring in a fish?  If drive train is overated, why don't more people use 3-4k size reel for canal jigging and inlet fishing.  It's lighter over all right?  I would still like to see any reel with a beefier gear train than these two, including the saltiga and stella. 

Hopefully Pure Fishing will make the Fin Nor with the dual drag again. Still have my original 16A. Great reel.

On the other hand, Chinese made VS reels are a joke. The US made ones were the gold standard for 15 years plus, but they can’t even get their drag right nowadays on an $800 reel. They can’t even get the VR right (side plate). Craig has always been nice and helpful to me, but I’m not buying that ‘the drag is smooth, it’s just that the line was spooled improperly, you have to set the hook repeatedly, etc” Lost many good fish over a week long stretch bc the drag wouldn’t budge before I realized that it wasn’t user error. Yet people will still continue to buy them because of their fandom on social media (that once included me). 

Glad I sold mine. Will continue fishing my 704s and 706s which have a better drag then any other high end surf reel. They haven’t failed me, they’ve just died after years of abuse. And I’ve caught waaaay more quality fish on my Penns. Not saying id buy any other  Penn products, just that when I get the money again, I’ll get a ZB.

Sucks, I remember when VS was being made 15 min down the road from me in MA, when they were reliable tanks of a reel. Still have their original stickers. Now I know better. 

9A300B36-FCF2-4037-920C-A5A53889FF45.jpeg

Edited by rbart

3 hours ago, hobobob said:

You made the assumption, not I.  Notice I never mentioned anything about bring in a fish?  If drive train is overated, why don't more people use 3-4k size reel for canal jigging and inlet fishing.  It's lighter over all right?  I would still like to see any reel with a beefier gear train than these two, including the saltiga and stella. 

What are you using your reel for besides bringing in fish?  Of course a 3k could be undergunned for many reasons. Which is very obviously why most reels are also made in larger sizes.  

Again, please buy whatever reel you want, I love my VS.  My point is there are literally dozens of reels for 20-50% of the cost that have more (far more) than enough power to land these fish, and i found it odd that Floridians who are rarely submerging them are choosing to pay 700+ for a reel that’s first and best selling point is that it’s submersible. Good on VS, my original point was just that I was surprised they had broken out of the Northeast market.

Edited by bbfish

9 hours ago, C.Robin said:

Would be cool if they moved VS manufacturing to Philly. I know Chinese manufacturing has gotten much better in the past decade, but I still can't bring myself to pay over $300 for a reel made with cheap Chinese labor.

Great idea,  I have a few  US VS/VSB. Still better quality over the VSX. I like them almost as much as my Torque spinners.

5 hours ago, AckStriperGuyDD said:

The VR line is a disgrace no matter the price.  The slammer III is a great reel but, unless I'm mistaken, is not available in a bailless version.

Totally agree! Slammer is a better quality reel. Your right though, no bailess with the Slammer.

Maybe they can at least have parts in stock! I just love hearing “ we’ll have them at the end of the month “ Ya right. Besides why buy NEW when the market is flooded with almost new at 1/2 to 3/4th of the price of a new one.

Couple points.

Pure fishing is a holding company,I believe,that buys brands such as Penn,now Zebco/ VS,Berkley,Stren,Abue,Phlueger etc... the list goes on.

It is not like Penn acquired Van Stall. These brands are managed separately.

It is kinda like Fiat buying the Dodge/Ram brand or Mercedes buying Dodge/Jeep.

Different ownership,still same product/factories.

These brands will still be separately run and managed. 
In other words,Penn didn’t buy VS, Pure fishing did.

What is really interesting is that almost all these brands/products are made in China....

Edited by olvart

6 hours ago, hobobob said:

Not exactly true. It also depends an the gear it’s mated with. 

Edited by aae0130