scoobydoo

Van Staal sold to pure fishing

Rate this topic

66 posts in this topic

56 mins ago, Tagman said:

Quality already is down. The VR series is a disgrace. Especially at there asking price.

Maybe VS can take some lessons from Penn. For a little more than half the price of the VR, the Slammer 3 is a more substantial and better quality reel.

Stop, it's not a better reel.

Penn - purveyors of crap!

15 mins ago, coastalfreak said:

Interesting. I see a potential end to Zee Bass now that Van Stark is a big dog. 

Competition breeds business. The more VS grows... The more exposure ZB will get.  

ZB has transitioned to a custom product... They'll need to invest in some effective marketing to really take advantage. 

1 hour ago, scoobydoo said:

I predict a resurgence in the quantum brand.  Lord knows it's needed.  As far as their product lineup... It's in a coma. 

I didn't realize Fin Nor was lumped in the deal as well - talk about an iconic name that is in a coma.  They don't even make an offshore trolling reel or fly fishing reel.  Fin Nor started it all.  When I was a kid you only mentioned the name Fin Nor in hushed tones because clearly they make the best of the best.

I remember seeing the Cookie Too at Hoffman's in Brielle  (43 Merritt owned by Murray Brothers at the time) with like 12 Fin Nor 130's in the cockpit. I almost passed out. I was probably about 10.

Edited by Cpalms

Can someone clarify for me...

I have long assumed that Pure Fishing owned the brands and product designs/specs and they contract out all or almost all the manufacturing plus assembly of products. 

Did VS do the same or did VS directly own/operate their manufacturing & assembly facilities?

2 hours ago, scoobydoo said:

Now all under the brand who has the worst track record in the industry at being able to regulate their pricing and also has a direct to consumer business model in place....

So good for fishermen and consumers is what you are trying to say? :idea: 

Look like Zebco is still going to own Quantum. Seems like a good idea, I've seen a lot more Quantum reels around the last few years than I've ever seen before. I've been particularly impressed by the Cabos.

4 mins ago, C.Robin said:

Look like Zebco is still going to own Quantum. Seems like a good idea, I've seen a lot more Quantum reels around the last few years than I've ever seen before. I've been particularly impressed by the Cabos.

I will agree with seeing more reels in the freshwater market , Quantun / Zebco might be interested in selling that $ 500 + reel in the freshwater line as some folks might get tired of that $ 200 reel they have showing in public eye , hey market is doing great . why not  

I would like to see a abu-van morrum. 

12 mins ago, Drew C. said:

a bigger threat to vs and zb is the declining bass stock. Those reels don’t see much use beyond that. 

Been van staal free for about a year now.  Spring in the back, fall with small bass, simply no need for it. 

2 hours ago, Tagman said:

Quality already is down. The VR series is a disgrace. Especially at there asking price.

Maybe VS can take some lessons from Penn. For a little more than half the price of the VR, the Slammer 3 is a more substantial and better quality reel.

The VR line is a disgrace no matter the price.  The slammer III is a great reel but, unless I'm mistaken, is not available in a bailless version.