willcodfish

hunters question

Rate this topic

30 posts in this topic

I found starla slugs to be pretty accurate cheap slugs.....

I'd never use buckshot.  I do hunt in a shotgun only area, but they allow muzzleloaders.  So, I use one of them....  Either a modern one or a 54 cal flintlock if the weather cooperates.

In an anything goes area of NY, I use a lever gun in 450 marlin.  IF Straight walled cartridges is an option, go for it.......

In over 40 years of shotgun deer hunting I've used buckshot once. That was enough. My Dad was trying to push deer out of the laurel into me. He threw me a couple rounds of 00 buck and said to put that in the chamber. Would be better for a deer running through the thick stuff. I'm waiting, and out pops a good sized doe. Facing me 30 yards away, and ready to jump back in. I put the bead on the base of her neck and shot. She ran off.

I go up to where she was standing and there's enough hair to make a wig. A little blood, but not much. Dad comes along, "Did you get one". I showed him the hair. He got on the track (there was a little snow) and told me to stay put. He'd either find the deer or turn it back to me. This was about 9AM. At 4:30 it was getting dark so I headed back to the truck. Dad was already there. "Saw that deer run a couple of times but never did catch up to it. Followed it all around the mountain". 

With a slug that deer would've dropped in it's tracks. Never shot anything but ever again. I did switch to a rifled barrel and sabots sometime in the 90's I think.  

RIP Dad. Miss you always, but especially this time of year.

1 hour ago, Eagles Dare said:

In over 40 years of shotgun deer hunting I've used buckshot once. That was enough. My Dad was trying to push deer out of the laurel into me. He threw me a couple rounds of 00 buck and said to put that in the chamber. Would be better for a deer running through the thick stuff. I'm waiting, and out pops a good sized doe. Facing me 30 yards away, and ready to jump back in. I put the bead on the base of her neck and shot. She ran off.

I go up to where she was standing and there's enough hair to make a wig. A little blood, but not much. Dad comes along, "Did you get one". I showed him the hair. He got on the track (there was a little snow) and told me to stay put. He'd either find the deer or turn it back to me. This was about 9AM. At 4:30 it was getting dark so I headed back to the truck. Dad was already there. "Saw that deer run a couple of times but never did catch up to it. Followed it all around the mountain". 

With a slug that deer would've dropped in it's tracks. Never shot anything but ever again. I did switch to a rifled barrel and sabots sometime in the 90's I think.  

RIP Dad. Miss you always, but especially this time of year.

I have never personally used buckshot always slugs.  When I could hunt on my own at 15 we would use a slug called "Breneke" I believe, made in Germany.  Shot 5 times into a paper plate at 50 yds out of a smooth bore, pretty accurate.  When rifled barrels became legal back in the early '90 I switched over and never looked back.  I think both rifled shotguns and rifled muzzle loaders became legal the same year.

Edited by b-ware

7 mins ago, b-ware said:

I have never personally used buckshot always slugs.  When I could hunt on my own at 15 we would use a slug called "Breneke" I believe, made in Germany.  Shot 5 times into a paper plate at 50 yds out of a smooth bore, pretty accurate.  When rifled barrels became legal back in the early '90 I switched over and never looked back.  I think both rifled shotguns and rifled muzzle loaders became legal the same year.

I’ve got some of those slugs lying around somewhere. They come in a clear hull, right?

1 min ago, JTR said:

I’ve got some of those slugs lying around somewhere. They come in a clear hull, right?

I remember them being in a black hull, silver lettering and a low brass base, I'll have to look if I have any left...………..

Another real accurate slug was the "Activ" all plastic hull...………. 2 3/4 in. magnums 1 1/4 oz. HP slugs

1 min ago, b-ware said:

I remember them being in a black hull, silver lettering and a low brass base, I'll have to look if I have any left...………..

Another real accurate slug was the "Activ" all plastic hull...………. 2 3/4 in. magnums 1 1/4 oz. HP slugs

I think the low brass may have been Breneke. They were real popular in the mid 70s.

5 mins ago, JTR said:

Yes, kind of an opaque white. I've still got a few, along with several other kinds. Lightfields, Remington sabots, and plain ole Winchester 1oz slugs. My shotgun loves the Hornaday SST's so that's all I shoot now. Have taken deer with them at distances I never would've believed back in the smoothbore only days. 

Buckshot can be used effectively. I shot my first couple of deer with it around 13 years ago. I switched to rifled barrel and slug not long after and haven't turned back since.The problem is most guys that use it do not pattern their guns; and shoot it far past its intended reach. They wound deer and blame the 00. If you have a properly patterned gun with the proper choke and have practiced with your gun you should drop deer close to  if not in their tracks every time inside 30 yds. I switched because I want to be able to shoot to 100 and I do not do a lot of brush busting drives these days. 00 has no advantages over slugs while sitting in a stand; but can be a little more forgiving on a moving deer.

4 hours ago, b-ware said:

I took my first duck ever, a hen mallard, with an Activ shell. Weird thing was that that duck only had 1 leg. No scar, no stump, nothing. Just feathered over like there was never a leg there. Got it with a mossberg 835 that I bought from another member here (trout worm). Still have that shell lying around somewhere. 

Interesting exception. A slug would undoubtedly ruin more of the pelt than you'd want, if there was any possibility of resale. I assume there is, and that the exception was crafted with that in mind.  

What's the Massachusetts coyote standard, a .22?  They're not big animals.

On 12/5/2019 at 4:01 PM, Eagles Dare said:

Yes, kind of an opaque white. I've still got a few, along with several other kinds. Lightfields, Remington sabots, and plain ole Winchester 1oz slugs. My shotgun loves the Hornaday SST's so that's all I shoot now. Have taken deer with them at distances I never would've believed back in the smoothbore only days. 

I probably have a few too somewhere. I think the 2 3/4 had red writing and the 3 inch had black?.... maybe..... been a while .