willcodfish

hunters question

Rate this topic

34 posts in this topic

so its an even deal..open shooting lanes ...buckshot or slug ?? let the debate begin..lol..i prefer slug 1st shot with buckshot as my 2nd instead of all slug or all buckshot..but if ive gotta choose i go slug...curious for input ..gl tom..opening day should be fun b safe kiddies

Never buck shot - not worth the injury to with so many deer out their wait for the ethical shot.   Jump shooting just does not make sense to me anyway

Be safe all

Tper

If the cover is somewhat thick I’d switch to a slower  moving 23/4” slug that won’t break apart when it hits a twig and save the 3” sabots for those longer open shots.

The only time I’d consider using buckshot would be in a thick swamp where I’d be firing no more than 15 yards through heavy cover.. even then though I’d stick with the slug.

I've never used buckshot.  
Back about when I started everyone talked so bad about it that I never considered it.

I did try shooting buckshot out of a rifled barrel once, just for kicks.  I shot at a trashcan lid from about 15 yards.   Only hit the trashcan lid with like 5 pellets.   Don't do that.

Spend the money on some higher quality slugs and wait until you have a clear shooting lane. The last thing I wanna do is mess up a deer and not harvest it. Not a good feeling. 

When I first started tagging along on deer hunts back probably '59 or '60 buck shot was the norm.The guys I was with hunted for food, if it's brown it's down mentality.  They mostly carried single shot or double barrels 12 ga.s and the first shot was to cripple or slow down the deer and a slug or "pumkin" ball was used to end it. Sounds cruel but it was effective and very few if any deer were lost.

Back then most of these guys had one shot gun that did everything, there were no rifled barrels, scopes super slugs or any of that. 

Back in the 80's I got a 4 pointer with a slug. When he was butchered we found a piece of 00 buck up against his breastbone encased in gristle.It was not a new wound,had to be a year old.This deer also had a fresh wound in the side.This piece of buckshot was up against a rib.It must have been fired from some distance.I had never considered buckshot but if I had that would have convinced me not to use it.

12 hours ago, b-ware said:

When I first started tagging along on deer hunts back probably '59 or '60 buck shot was the norm.The guys I was with hunted for food, if it's brown it's down mentality.  They mostly carried single shot or double barrels 12 ga.s and the first shot was to cripple or slow down the deer and a slug or "pumkin" ball was used to end it. Sounds cruel but it was effective and very few if any deer were lost.

Back then most of these guys had one shot gun that did everything, there were no rifled barrels, scopes super slugs or any of that. 

/\ This is how it was.

Slugs were so inaccurate through your average full /modified double barrel they were borderline useless at any distance.

Get em bleedin and we'll finish them off was how it went.

The good old days were a little rough around the edges sometimes..... The idea was to fill the freezer.

I shot Remington slugs through my smoothbore slug barrel for years. Beyond 40 yards the results were dubious at times.

In 1985 my buddy and I read a review on Hastings rifles slug barrels. The required a slug we'd never seen before. A sabot. The only company making them back then was BRI. We each ordered a barrel and a case of slugs. They came from a dealer in the mid west.

When they arrived, we ran right to the range. We each shot five times at 50 yards off a bench rest.  We we're stunned. We each shot a 3" group right out of the box! After we each shot another dozen or so rounds, we had all in the center, and we're bench resting 2" groups.

Those barrels completely changed our hunting. We took a pile of bucks with those barrels.