ACFishing

Future Of The Stripes

Rate this topic

23 posts in this topic

54 mins ago, nfd27 said:

I know its a hot take but all of these short fish definitely make for a bright future in a few years. The issue will be if regulations will allow this to occur both for commercial and recreational anglers. I do think both natural (Sandy) and human (over fishing) issues haven't helped the situation in the slightest, but hopefully people will get their act together in the future to keep the resource at a healthier maintainable level. 

Yes. 

But the regulators will make all bad decisions for all of the wrong reasons.  GUARANTEED!  They've been doing it for 25 years.  It won't change.  These itty bittys won't live to see June 2020.

9 mins ago, Jettyhound said:

Yes. 

But the regulators will make all bad decisions for all of the wrong reasons.  GUARANTEED!  They've been doing it for 25 years.  It won't change.  These itty bittys won't live to see June 2020.

My comment was geared more towards perfect case scenario. As much as I’d love to see it, it’s abundantly clear that until something catastrophic occurs change won’t be made. “It’s been this way forever why change it now”. 

3 hours ago, StripersBR said:

Ive alteady moved on to different hobbies that i like to do. My time is too valuable to waste it beating the piss out of 20" rats. But apparently lots of people "care about the fish", but still targeting these things? The best is all the youtube stars calling the bites epic! Ill put my paycheck on that none of those clowns had a surf rod in their hands when that sandeel bite was popping off at IBSP for weeks! Ill predict that since the stripers have been raped to death, now its blackfishing is the new hot species. After they get beat to hell, whats next??! 

You’re a bit late on tog they are and have in far worse shape than Bass for a long time. In a few more years they will obtain winter flounder status. 

46 mins ago, Jettyhound said:

Yes. 

Regulators believe that they are probably more striped bass than ever right now!, Heck, the next couple years your gonna see a 10 fish limit on striped bass!

33 mins ago, Drew C. said:

You’re a bit late on tog they are and have in far worse shape than Bass for a long time. In a few more years they will obtain winter flounder status. 

Tog have been beat up over the years, can't say much on this topic but they have definitely been hammered over the years in certain places.

I don’t pretend to know anything about the state of the fishery but I believe it’s cyclical. In the mid 80’s bass didn’t exist.

beach replenishment hasn’t help the surf guy but it certainly didn’t harm the number of bass just kept them off shore.

in my opinion replenishment is the problem. Boat guys me included don’t see a reduction in the bass population. In the age of the Internet it does look bad with all the fish being taken but I’m not so sure it’s any more or any less fish each year

44 mins ago, wasy said:

I don’t pretend to know anything about the state of the fishery but I believe it’s cyclical. In the mid 80’s bass didn’t exist.

beach replenishment hasn’t help the surf guy but it certainly didn’t harm the number of bass just kept them off shore.

in my opinion replenishment is the problem. Boat guys me included don’t see a reduction in the bass population. In the age of the Internet it does look bad with all the fish being taken but I’m not so sure it’s any more or any less fish each year

The reason replenishment is problem is because theres no structure anymore for the bait to push the bass with them. 

Even if we take the same amount of bass each year, these fish don't spawn every year, so if you take the same amount of bass each year the number is still depleting, that's just what i'm thinking, I could be wrong

20 hours ago, wasy said:

I do agree as well as it being cyclical to an extent. As someone else who fishes out of a boat I saw incredible numbers of bass and massive amounts of fish marked.