ACFishing

Future Of The Stripes

Rate this topic

24 posts in this topic

The future of the striped bass is evidently starting to decline from a plethora of reasons from the commercials and recs. How do you guys think we'll keep this fishery? Will we even have a fishery in the future? Put down your thoughts.

Like other species, they aren't going to vanish off the face of the earth any time soon. This is the new normal. A 12 incher being worthy of mentioning to your friends on the internet and that self-satisfied smugness that you avoided "the skunk".

It's useless to complain b/c the recreational surf guys voice is but a whisper to the commercial $ bellow.  "Management by extinction" is the regulators slogan.  This "fall run" did me in.  I'll be enjoying the summer on the beaches come 2020.  Molesting 20 inch fish ain't worth losing sleep over for me.  (I have a 10'6" Legend for sale on the BST forum because I have no use for it.)

I wish catch and release was more common on charters and party boats. There’s something great about catching fish from the beach and the jettys and slipping your catch back into the waters to fight another day. If you’re paying an arm and a leg to go on a boat, you want to bring something home. That’s fine and all, but a picture will last longer. 

16 hours ago, Gully said:

Oh goodie..

Another my morals are better than yerz thread... :hi5:

lol I hear ya, I’m not talking morals as much as sport and conservation for the future.

Having some guy on a charter catch you a fish so you can reel it in and take home a prize isn’t as rewarding as working the beach all day.

Maybe I’m jealous of the cows people are catching on the boats, but honestly I’d care a lot less if the fishery was in better shape.

We all need to chip in to ensure that the sport and the industry doesn’t die. Young people these days only care about the picture on Instagram and Facebook anyways. After you get your pic, send the fish home to spawn.

Yeah I know we’ve heard it all before a million times. It’s important that people new to the sport hear the message too. That’s why we need to keep talking about and practicing conservation.  

On December 2, 2019 at 2:21 PM, Jettyhound said:

It's useless to complain b/c the recreational surf guys voice is but a whisper to the commercial $ bellow.  "Management by extinction" is the regulators slogan.  This "fall run" did me in.  I'll be enjoying the summer on the beaches come 2020.  Molesting 20 inch fish ain't worth losing sleep over for me.  (I have a 10'6" Legend for sale on the BST forum because I have no use for it.)

Ive alteady moved on to different hobbies that i like to do. My time is too valuable to waste it beating the piss out of 20" rats. But apparently lots of people "care about the fish", but still targeting these things? The best is all the youtube stars calling the bites epic! Ill put my paycheck on that none of those clowns had a surf rod in their hands when that sandeel bite was popping off at IBSP for weeks! Ill predict that since the stripers have been raped to death, now its blackfishing is the new hot species. After they get beat to hell, whats next??! 

2 mins ago, StripersBR said:

Ive alteady moved on to different hobbies that i like to do. My time is too valuable to waste it beating the piss out of 20" rats. But apparently lots of people "care about the fish", but still targeting these things? The best is all the youtube stars calling the bites epic! Ill put my paycheck on that none of those clowns had a surf rod in their hands when that sandeel bite was popping off at IBSP for weeks! Ill predict that since the stripers have been raped to death, now its blackfishing is the new hot species. After they get beat to hell, whats next??! 

It won't be weakies or blues.  Skates!  Great fighters and tabel fare too!  :kook:  

I know its a hot take but all of these short fish definitely make for a bright future in a few years. The issue will be if regulations will allow this to occur both for commercial and recreational anglers. I do think both natural (Sandy) and human (over fishing) issues haven't helped the situation in the slightest, but hopefully people will get their act together in the future to keep the resource at a healthier maintainable level. 

1 min ago, nfd27 said:

I know its a hot take but all of these short fish definitely make for a bright future in a few years. The issue will be if regulations will allow this to occur both for commercial and recreational anglers. I do think both natural (Sandy) and human (over fishing) issues haven't helped the situation in the slightest, but hopefully people will get their act together in the future to keep the resource at a healthier maintainable level. 

+1 on that.