mark d

converting a cts 3-6 oz to a combo rod ?

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

i asked here awhile back about building a combo rod and of course there were different opinions, but i believe it was sudsy that said he had built and tested one and it passed muster. so  i was thinking about converting or having someone convert a cts 3-6 vaportrail to a dual purpose rod. rod is 11 ft and i was thinking about removing 1 ft from the butt also. thought i would ask you guys your opinions.

thks

already own the 11. sounds like you don't like the cut down idea, fair enough. what do you think about converting it to combo ?

the cutting depends on the rod. cutting a foot from the butt is pretty drastic, you moving the shut off point a foot closer to the reel and making the rod more moderate. if you like the 11 foot the action is going to be quite different. i dont like the dual purpose idea at all. you obviously have 2 rods so dump one and get or build the conventional you want

Posted (edited) · Report post

Outside of the cutting the blank issue, how is the rod set up now?

What guides and spacing layout have you built it with?

Edited by ZAFisher

thks for the replies guys.....sounds like a consensus on do not cut blank, ok so that's out. rod was built by lou caruso about 7 years ago as a conventional with fuji components. later i got a cts s8 1-3 oz 12 ft spinning also built by lou. s8 became my go to. great rod but lately my shoulders are barking bad after a session. the more moderate vaportrail would ease the pain quite a bit  i believe.  my main play is fishing the bars of river mouths on the carribean side of costa rica. heavy surf. constant splashing and frequent dunks. i prefer my torque 5 for this, but i hate to lose the conventional capability. love that rod with my torque 12 . these are remote locations that i generally have to hike into and some swimming across river and estuary mouths. ain't gonna carry 2 rods but 2 reels is ok. 

also can't afford an entirely new rod hence the combo idea....,.,again thks for the replies

Posted (edited) · Report post

My 2 cents:

The 11' set up as a spinner (probably your most used set up?) with a KW30/25/20/12 reduction to KW8 runners for the Torque 5 will be just fine if you turn it over and use the Torque 12 conventional.

Is the KW30 a little tall?

Possibly, but I don't think you will notice anything bad during use.

Your Torque 12 is a non level wind, the line does not come off the spool in a neat straight line; not quite the coils off a spinner, but it can get pretty bouncy and wild, so I personally like a taller stripper for these sorts of reels.

I made an assumption on reel seat position when I had a look at how the line would pass through.

Buy the reduction guides, find the guide that is about 900mm from the tip top and work from there back towards the reel:

Remove the guides between that guide (ie dont remove it) up to and including the stripper, tape on the KW's and test with both reels. I suspect you will be pleasantly surprised.

Screenshot 2019-12-03 at 06.17.47.png

Edited by ZAFisher

I did what your asking-I only replaced the stripper guide rod casts fine-I didn't go too big-braid collapse quickly-replacing all the guides doesn't make sense to me--I'm no pro--ask Lou Caruso pick his brain-just my thougths--rreelman

given your situation it seems like your only choice. it can certainly be done. ZA's numbers in his diagram look good. i would try to keep the first 2 guides where he has them that should work with the torque 5. then test the guide positions under load when setup as a conventional. remember youll probably have to give a little here and there for it to work well as both, but it is doable,

Mark, With what you are going to put into this rebuild maybe think about a factory rod such as a ODM DNA rod in 11' or a Black Hole Stripe Bass Special in 11'. You would be spending the same amount of money. Either of these rods spinning will save your shoulder from that S8....