john1234

Anyone else do this?

Rate this topic

30 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, john1234 said:

Since I’m primarily fishing Boston Harbor from shore I like to keep the area’s that I can reliably catch fish to myself or my tight network of Surfcaster friends.......In order to do this even if I’m on a hot bite I will pack up and leave or fish like an idiot if another guy shows up. I do this because we all know how packed places can get and most of these areas are right under peoples noses and they have no idea how to fish them, especially in a close proximity to the city.... There are even certain areas that I won’t fish in the day because of the view from the roads......Am I crazy?......John

You have your spinning reel on the top you mean?

Since I’m primarily fishing Boston Harbor from shore I like to keep the area’s that I can reliably catch fish to myself or my tight network of Surfcaster friends.......In order to do this even if I’m on a hot bite I will pack up and leave or fish like an idiot if another guy shows up.

Can you explain  why you think this keeps people away from one place or another? 

You leave a hot bite because someone showed up,  he starts bailing fish now he has a secret spot too, maybe it was his spot to begin with for the last 10yrs ... 

you know how many times this scenario plays out at different spots over & over?

Since I’m primarily fishing Boston Harbor from shore I like to keep the area’s that I can reliably catch fish to myself or my tight network of Surfcaster friends.......In order to do this even if I’m on a hot bite I will pack up and leave or fish like an idiot if another guy shows up. I do this because we all know how packed places can get and most of these areas are right under peoples noses and they have no idea how to fish them, especially in a close proximity to the city.... There are even certain areas that I won’t fish in the day because of the view from the roads......Am I crazy?......John

Hell no,you're not crazy,to show off in such a spot to others you'd be an idiot.

I do the same thing.

the old salts I learned from were the same way.

you show up with a rod and they don't know you,it's just like you're there alone.

when I first showed up on the bridge,they looked at me,this stringbean of a child with a yellow,9ft glass st.Croix surf rod and a brand new daiwa 7000-c and my pail with the wiere woven on the inner rim with plugs hanging off them,they knew I was ready for action.

then one day this older guy came to me and said lemme see your rig.

I showed him and he was like,you got yer **** together kid,come over here.

I became the3 bailer,the one who bailed the chum,a 5 gallon pail full of ground up bunker,mackeral and dead crabs.

after about 20 mins,there were smashes out far and coming close.

then they were right in front of all of us.

I put on a big daddy Rudolph swimmer,slung it out ther and got hammered by my first gator,a monster @ 18 lb,wow,what a rush,I was pinned to the side of the bridge and holding on like a champ.

I got it too,what a first contact man!

HH

HH

Edited by Heavy Hooksetter

1 hour ago, BillZ said:

Can you explain  why you think this keeps people away from one place or another? 

You leave a hot bite because someone showed up,  he starts bailing fish now he has a secret spot too, maybe it was his spot to begin with for the last 10yrs ... 

you know how many times this scenario plays out at different spots over & over?

Let’s just say I know if I swim a mag darter on the edge of a bar and even if it’s slow I can pick fish all the time.....and a guy shows up with a Kmart special and guppy sr pencil he caught bass with in the canal during a blitz but he’s trying in the Boston area because it’s closer to home...........I’m not gonna risk letting that guy know how im picking fish up here.......Let them throw they’re 9” pencil and go fishless. I put in too many years to let some guy hop on my back and get on the cellphone and crowd up the spot I found.....I also run into a few anglers each year who I can tell are “serious” and I share info with them and I enjoy it because they RESPECT the sport like I do and provide good company......John

1 hour ago, Heavy Hooksetter said:

Hell no,you're not crazy,to show off in such a spot to others you'd be an idiot.

I do the same thing.

the old salts I learned from were the same way.

you show up with a rod and they don't know you,it's just like you're there alone.

when I first showed up on the bridge,they looked at me,this stringbean of a child with a yellow,9ft glass st.Croix surf rod and a brand new daiwa 7000-c and my pail with the wiere woven on the inner rim with plugs hanging off them,they knew I was ready for action.

then one day this older guy came to me and said lemme see your rig.

I showed him and he was like,you got yer **** together kid,come over here.

I became the3 bailer,the one who bailed the chum,a 5 gallon pail full of ground up bunker,mackeral and dead crabs.

after about 20 mins,there were smashes out far and coming close.

then they were right in front of all of us.

I put on a big daddy Rudolph swimmer,slung it out ther and got hammered by my first gator,a monster @ 18 lb,wow,what a rush,I was pinned to the side of the bridge and holding on like a champ.

I got it too,what a first contact man!

HH

HH

That’s how I started too,Livelining pogies and herring with the old guys on the pier.....I learned more from from them than anyone else and honestly I would fish with them even though I knew I could do better in other places because of how much I learned from them..........we did some big bass too......Very fond childhood memories.

We are all crazy I guess, but I don’t do stuff like that! I leave when I’m finished regardless of the bite. If I’m catching, that doesn’t mean you will be catching. That hot spot today may be ice cold tomorrow, so I say ‘let any man try his luck’.

10 hours ago, hobobob said:

Its funny how they all think that only the spot you are standing on have fish despite a big rip running horizontally.  I have had line running down my neck once I have a fish one. If he wasn't a young one. I would have pulled my knife and cut the line in an instant.  

Who do you think you are?  Bob the Garbage man?  Wait, has anyone ever seen the two of you together? Your name is hoboBOB Hmmmmm?  Could it be?  Lol

Edited by Thumb-Burner

9 hours ago, john1234 said:

That’s how I started too,Livelining pogies and herring with the old guys on the pier.....I learned more from from them than anyone else and honestly I would fish with them even though I knew I could do better in other places because of how much I learned from them..........we did some big bass too......Very fond childhood memories.

indeed true,I sure am glad I remained silent and listened/learned to and from those guys.

after a while,I could "see" what the fish I was after do and that has made me a solid angler.

love those cooper goo-goo eyes swimmers,,,large of course.

HH

10 hours ago, john1234 said:

Let’s just say I know if I swim a mag darter on the edge of a bar and even if it’s slow I can pick fish all the time.....and a guy shows up with a Kmart special and guppy sr pencil he caught bass with in the canal during a blitz but he’s trying in the Boston area because it’s closer to home...........I’m not gonna risk letting that guy know how im picking fish up here.......Let them throw they’re 9” pencil and go fishless. I put in too many years to let some guy hop on my back and get on the cellphone and crowd up the spot I found.....I also run into a few anglers each year who I can tell are “serious” and I share info with them and I enjoy it because they RESPECT the sport like I do and provide good company......John

Respectfully, I get the generalization but It would be extremely naïve to think that there’s only 1 way to catch at that spot (or any spot for that matter) also that all people that show up don’t know how to fish & that no one else knows the area….   

We all go thru this kind of thing from time to time, I've been thru dozens of these scenarios, it’s always short lived, some of us don’t put so much focus on it though, just fish ;)

Best…

7 hours ago, BillZ said:

Respectfully, I get the generalization but It would be extremely naïve to think that there’s only 1 way to catch at that spot (or any spot for that matter) also that all people that show up don’t know how to fish & that no one else knows the area….   

Yeah, I didn't get that either. I do understand the general sentiment. 

My rule is that if you are close enough to me to talk, you are too close. I enforce this rule by maintaining a 100 yd perimeter around me. If you get within my boundary, I up and leave. I have more than one spot. 

Travelling to and from the water, I remove my lures or put on a lure I do not use for that purpose. I have a silicone bass jig with a beat up senko trailer that has enjoyed many a walk with me to a spot. 

I also catch some really strange fish in the parking lot. To my knowledge, I have never used my Lami to peg a cut bait on the bottom, but once in the parking lot, it is a hell of a catfish rod. 

I know my behavior in these situations is less than honorable, but the State of South Carolina issued me a fishing license, with all the rights and responsibilities that includes, one of which is the responsibility to lie and prevaricate when asked direct questions about how the fishing is. 

When people ask me if I caught anything, I often respond with: "I'm a fisherman. Should you believe anything I tell you?"  

18 hours ago, john1234 said:

All due respect, shaming someone for their equipment does not make a whole lot of sense. I cannot afford to own three different VS reels and mount them all on Century rods like some folks do. But I promise you, I am no less serious about and respectful of the sport than that guy with deep pockets. Maybe that guy with the Kmart special grew up fishing just like the rest of us, but he has three kids to feed and his job is going through some budget cuts.

You cannot know everyone's situation just by looking at them, and anyone who says they can is a damn liar.