Sudsy

Fishing reports for December 2019

Rate this topic

113 posts in this topic

Report as little or as much detail as you would like to provide the reader but please don't post specific street names or areas.

A specific spot is too much information!
It's not like telling a friend or two, posting it here is telling thousands. Doing so only creates crowds, garbage, and loss of our spots.

Try to keep other conversations, inquires, and rants in separate threads.

For example, you can say that you caught fish in Ocean County but saying that you got them at Ocean Beach is a no-no.

The terms to use are..........

Monmouth County
Ocean County
Atlantic County
Cape May County
North Jersey for the Hudson and other backwaters.

County name plus "In the back" for Inlets, Rivers, and Bays.

Posted (edited) · Report post

@Goldy  “Youre one of the lucky ones. Were u in your yak”

I didn’t use the yak this time.  It was on the beach.  Just had a good feeling.  This spot is historically good this time of year when there’s a NE blowing.  It helped bass were still there in enough numbers.  

Edited by GeoffT

Late report from this AM. 90 min MoCo predawn. Steady NE wInd, incoming tide, nice clean and green water, great juicy surf with tons of suds. 10-15 guys working the stretch. At the beginning of the outing 2 guys hooked up. Thought it was going be be a good morning. However, they’re the only ones that caught for a while. Made a move a little north and immediately hooked up with a nice schoolie. I was attempting to take a pic and the surf pulled the fish back and the leader hung up around my boot...what a mess, snapped the leader, lost my Ava and no pic. Anyway, saw another fellow south pick 2 fish. One of my last casts I hooked up with a smaller fish on the teaser. Didn’t attempt a pic this time. Finished with 2, but sacrificed a 007 with an eel trailer to the Gods. If anyone lands a fish with an Ava in its lip, it’s yours truly. Back at it tomorrow in the slush. 

32 mins ago, DeeMonee said:

Late report from this AM. 90 min MoCo predawn. Steady NE wInd, incoming tide, nice clean and green water, great juicy surf with tons of suds. 10-15 guys working the stretch. At the beginning of the outing 2 guys hooked up. Thought it was going be be a good morning. However, they’re the only ones that caught for a while. Made a move a little north and immediately hooked up with a nice schoolie. I was attempting to take a pic and the surf pulled the fish back and the leader hung up around my boot...what a mess, snapped the leader, lost my Ava and no pic. Anyway, saw another fellow south pick 2 fish. One of my last casts I hooked up with a smaller fish on the teaser. Didn’t attempt a pic this time. Finished with 2, but sacrificed a 007 with an eel trailer to the Gods. If anyone lands a fish with an Ava in its lip, it’s yours truly. Back at it tomorrow in the slush. 

Thanks for the report.

No pics needed, we believe you :)

NoMoCo 5-12 this morning. Went on a nature walk, foxes and seals, terns, gulls, gannets. Finally managed one dink on the teaser after a move to cleaner water. Pretty though.

PC010112.jpg

Maybe it's time to stop taking pictures of all the dinks.. I mean really how many 20-inch fish do I have to see pictures of.:fire:..save the photo ops for the big fish...

2 hours ago, SIC34 said:

Kracka says it's a waste of time,  guess I'll stop fishing.:idea:

For ME it is chasing 20" fish. I also spend a lot more time on the road and $ to fish then the rest of yall. 

Seems as if MoCo has died off since the past week, the conditions look right but you have to be lucky to pick off one or two. Compared to recent weeks where we almost got bit on every cast at times. More and more guys are leaving the northern Jersey beaches in search of south Jersey stripes. Im praying that we can still get a little bit of em into late December or even into January, but I doubt it.

Current Report: OC- Fished for the last hours of the day and picked off 3 on a teaser and one off a 1oz bucktail, not sure how long the bite will stay in south Jersey but it seems as if my motivation to stay on the surf is slowly dying for this year.

9 hours ago, JimK said:

Maybe it's time to stop taking pictures of all the dinks.. I mean really how many 20-inch fish do I have to see pictures of.:fire:..save the photo ops for the big fish...

The purple and orange colors were more vivid in person, but I thought someone else would appreciate the color on this fish. 

3 hours ago, BillHoo said:

Anyone seen any Atlantic SEA herring yet?

Reveal hidden contents
  Reveal hidden contents

Yeah, saw a few last week in the evening popping out of the water close to the sand.

My expectations have been really curved by the recent few years of striper runs on the beach. If i catch a keeper, its a rarity but I don't mind catching the shorts at all and do my best to limit post release mortality. I'd like to think that the abundance of shorts bodes well for the future and the new regulations will protect whatever larger breeders still remain. Maybe im being overly optimistic though....That being said, any thoughts on the post-storm outlook for the beach? Winds have been offshore since early afternoon. I think some schoolies will be around for the next few weeks at least. May be fishable in the morning or tomorrow evening at the earliest?

13 mins ago, JerseySwells said:

My expectations have been really curved by the recent few years of striper runs on the beach. If i catch a keeper, its a rarity but I don't mind catching the shorts at all and do my best to limit post release mortality. I'd like to think that the abundance of shorts bodes well for the future and the new regulations will protect whatever larger breeders still remain. Maybe im being overly optimistic though....That being said, any thoughts on the post-storm outlook for the beach? Winds have been offshore since early afternoon. I think some schoolies will be around for the next few weeks at least. May be fishable in the morning or tomorrow evening at the earliest?

I think you're looking at Wednesday, based on what I saw down there earlier today.