55555s

Dogs in cold weather... how long is ok?

Rate this topic

57 posts in this topic

My first dog.  Indoor dog.  Lab mix.

It loves to be in the snow.   Loves it.

I am concerned about his feet getting too cold, and maybe injured from being in contact with the snow for too long.

How long is too long?  Will it let me know? (doubting it) .   are those footie things a good idea?  

Thanks in advance.

Dogs are like people, some are tough and some are wimps. Some have thin coats and shiver when the temp falls below 80, others wear fur coats and "sweat" when it's zero degrees out. Learn to "read" your dog, he/she will tell you.

Labs?  Turn them loose and don't worry.  Hope they don't go swimming in between laying in the snow drifts.

My Jack, after a bit, will start shivering and give you the look.

Bottom line, they let you know for the most part.

He seems impervious to the cold, lays down in the snow, rolls, eats, etc.  I was just concerned about doing some damage to the pads while he frollics. 

Thanks for the input.  

They have all these well intentioned laws about not letting dogs get chained out or left in unheated doghouses. Generally a good idea...... but I think back at being at my cousins and going out to feed his samoyeds and malemutes. there would be the doghouses with a lump in the snow in front of every doghouse. As soon as they heard you coming with chow, the dogs would get out of the snow, shake it off and be ready for the day. they refused to sleep in the doghouses except they used them for shade.

Labs will tolerate cold much better than the heat.If your going to leave him in the backyard make sure he's got a dog house and put some straw on the floor.If your going to walk him him in the street the booties aren't a bad idea,salt from the roads can mess up their paws.I generally leave my dog in the house most of the time.

My dog lives outside.....comes in only under 30 degrees.  Energy of a puppy coming up on 11.  I know more people who have constant health problems with their dogs whether they be hunting breeds or not.  I like to believe it's because I never got her fixed and she's lived outside her whole life watching birds and squirrels and snoozing in the sun all day instead of cooped up in the house.

There is a thing called Paw Wax if you really feel the need to protect their paws.  I had to use it on my previous dog, especially when they salted the roads.  Probably use it on my new dog also as soon as salt goes down.  

Posted (edited) · Report post

1 hour ago, mitchell master said:

You could always use a cuddlissimo.

?

off to google...

EDIT-

LOL... he's 60 lbs! 

1.png

Edited by 55555s

1 hour ago, Heron25 said:

There is a thing called Paw Wax if you really feel the need to protect their paws.  I had to use it on my previous dog, especially when they salted the roads.  Probably use it on my new dog also as soon as salt goes down.  

I'll give that a look.  Thanks.

He's not sleeping outside.  

When my father in law developed ALS, I   Flew his kennel of labradors up to NJ... all outside field trial dogs , had never been inside.  I will say they were a heck of a lot happier living outside in the  single digits during winter than they were in the 100 degree S Texas heat.  Just barrel kennels filled with hay, and heated water bowls.  This guy Sambo was our favorite, lived into his late teens outdoors. 

029266A7-F4FB-407C-98EC-17CB677070B9.jpeg