Rate this topic

MakoMaster

Show your best/worst terminal failure. Let's see how that one big fish owned you and what it left you with. Provide a short story and if possible a picture included. Will also be interesting to see what brands fail more than others. Ex: hooks, split rings, swivels. 

Here's mine. This is a mustad 34185 8/0 jig hook bent out by a very big fish. Fish ate it me at my feet (thought I was stuck in rocks). Gave two sharp rod snaps and it took off with no turning back. Tried to set the hook couple more times and it ran faster, even with a tight drag. It rounded the bolder point I was on and spit the jig before I could catch up with it. left me with a bentout hook and seaweed on my leader for extra insult. 

1575233873887-362744268.jpg

Belly hook got ripped out after a few too many gorillas (stock split ring, I didnt know) rear hook and leader were destroyed by Probably the biggest bluefish I've ever hooked into, easily over 20lbs (this was in 2016 when we had that run of gorillas). Had my drag locked down and it was just peeling off line like nothing. Got it to the dock and it unbuttoned. I'll never forget it. Absolutely smoked my spinfisher 4500. Good times. That's a gamakatsu o'shaughnessy 4/0.

IMG_6545.JPG

Edited by ThrowinPlugs

4 hours ago, ThrowinPlugs said:

Belly hook got ripped out after a few too many gorillas (stock split ring, I didnt know) rear hook and leader were destroyed by Probably the biggest bluefish I've ever hooked into, easily over 20lbs (this was in 2016 when we had that run of gorillas). Had my drag locked down and it was just peeling off line like nothing. Got it to the dock and it unbuttoned. I'll never forget it. Absolutely smoked my spinfisher 4500. Good times. That's a gamakatsu o'shaughnessy 4/0.

IMG_6545.JPG

What's the purpose of the swivel between the hook and ring?

Chasing false echoes

Send lawyers, guns, and money - Zevon

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro - Thompson 

DITCH TROLL 333

4 mins ago, ThrowinPlugs said:

Ya know what, I never noticed that. The dressed hook was added by a friend at a tackle shop. Maybe some kinda canal rigging style or something? Lol I honestly havent a clue!

Interesting, i've never seen a swivel rigged with the rear hook before.

Chasing false echoes

DITCH TROLL 333

4 hours ago, ThrowinPlugs said:

IMG_6545.JPG

looks like the leader got around the first hook and became deformed from it,have brought in fish with the leader wrapped around the front hook myself.

they spiral underwater and get that like that.

HH

An armed man is a citizen,,,an unarmed man is a subject,,,,,,,,

6 hours ago, MakoMaster said:

Show your best/worst terminal failure. Let's see how that one big fish owned you and what it left you with. Provide a short story and if possible a picture included. Will also be interesting to see what brands fail more than others. Ex: hooks, split rings, swivels. 

Here's mine. This is a mustad 34185 8/0 jig hook bent out by a very big fish. Fish ate it me at my feet (thought I was stuck in rocks). Gave two sharp rod snaps and it took off with no turning back. Tried to set the hook couple more times and it ran faster, even with a tight drag. It rounded the bolder point I was on and spit the jig before I could catch up with it. left me with a bentout hook and seaweed on my leader for extra insult. 

1575233873887-362744268.jpg

point looks to be dull,maybe bad penetration?

maybe it hit a rock.

HH

Edited by Heavy Hooksetter

An armed man is a citizen,,,an unarmed man is a subject,,,,,,,,

4 mins ago, Heavy Hooksetter said:

I try to but,in a pinch,I'll straighten it then sharpen it on the spot and fish.

def good thing to do though.

HH

Absolutely, I do what I have to but I feel most comfortable with fresh hooks, leaders, etc.

Chasing false echoes

DITCH TROLL 333

Quite a few years ago I had a couple of badly trashed 3/0 trebles hanging on the sun visor of my Carry-all. Was in the parking lot at the Montauk Light. Friend of mine says that's what you get for fishing a locked up drag. I say "no way". So I take a bottle plug with 3/0's on it, stick one leg of the belly hook into the park bench and walk off about 100 feet of line [20 lb. black Ande], and dare him to pull on the rod as hard as he can to bend the hook. Long story short, neither one of us could do much to deform that treble, evan snapped the line. Amazing the leverage a big fish can get on a plug sometimes.