Shag

Cordless Tool Set For Christmas Present

Rate this topic

66 posts in this topic

My son and his wife were down for Thanksgiving. He mentioned he would like some tools for Christmas. Thinking of getting him a combo set. I only have drills and impact drivers, Hilti and Makita. Not wanting to bust the bank, but wanting to get something decent; anyone see a deal on a good set. He’s a homeowner but not in the trades. Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 mins ago, triumph said:

for homeowner look at Ryobi

The Ryobi gear is priced well, but a buddy has done nothing but bitch about the batteries.  Personally, I'm happy with my Makita gear, only complaint is the oscillating multi-tool seems to drain batteries when not in use. But that thing is damn useful! I just used it to cut out a 6x10 hole in 3/4 ply in a spot that a jigsaw would have been awkward. I'd probably place it #2 useful tool behind drill/driver for light work. Recip saw #3.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think I should have said homeowner with a large list of projects. Any specifics about multi tools and saws, battery life   , etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 mins ago, gellfex said:

The Ryobi gear is priced well, but a buddy has done nothing but bitch about the batteries.  Personally, I'm happy with my Makita gear, only complaint is the oscillating multi-tool seems to drain batteries when not in use. But that thing is damn useful! I just used it to cut out a 6x10 hole in 3/4 ply in a spot that a jigsaw would have been awkward. I'd probably place it #2 useful tool behind drill/driver for light work. Recip saw #3.

Thanks, that’s what I need to know. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

1 hour ago, Shag said:

My son and his wife were down for Thanksgiving. He mentioned he would like some tools for Christmas. Thinking of getting him a combo set. I only have drills and impact drivers, Hilti and Makita. Not wanting to bust the bank, but wanting to get something decent; anyone see a deal on a good set. He’s a homeowner but not in the trades. Thanks

if he ice fish get 18 V Fuel, brushles hamer drill,i put that on 8" nills auger and can drill 20 holes in 10" ice and use only 1/4 baterie juice.i dril one hole in 10 seconds no push presure..

you have to find best price some may charge you for same think $150 more.

Edited by snag777

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 mins ago, hobobob said:

Take a look at the ridgid 5 piece tool set at home depot. $249 comes with everything he ever needs.  

The one I see for that price has a less than useful selection of tools, 3 drivers, a disk grinder and a flashlight. I'd start with a small kit like the Makita drill and impact driver with 2 batteries and charger for $150, and then add single 'no battery' tools till you've filled your budget. To me, stuff like a cordless circular saw, flashlight, or vac is much less useful than the tools you'd be using on a ladder. I've used that recip saw to cut 2" steel drain pipes, a Beast! 

 

FWIW I once bought a set of cheap 18v tools so I could leave them at that site, but they were really crappy compared to the quality stuff, the circular saw truly couldn't cut a thing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 mins ago, gellfex said:

The one I see for that price has a less than useful selection of tools, 3 drivers, a disk grinder and a flashlight. I'd start with a small kit like the Makita drill and impact driver with 2 batteries and charger for $150, and then add single 'no battery' tools till you've filled your budget. To me, stuff like a cordless circular saw, flashlight, or vac is much less useful than the tools you'd be using on a ladder. I've used that recip saw to cut 2" steel drain pipes, a Beast! 

 

FWIW I once bought a set of cheap 18v tools so I could leave them at that site, but they were really crappy compared to the quality stuff, the circular saw truly couldn't cut a thing.

Thanks. Exactly the kind of info I’m looking for. Which tools actually are a benefit being cordless and what is much less expensive and can be corded. But I learned a long time ago: I can’t afford to buy cheap.?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 mins ago, Shag said:

Thanks. Exactly the kind of info I’m looking for. Which tools actually are a benefit being cordless and what is much less expensive and can be corded. But I learned a long time ago: I can’t afford to buy cheap.?

Actually I don't mind buying cheap when it's the right tool. I have several Harbor Freight corded power tools that I'm perfectly happy with like a 3 inch belt sander. it's not a tool I use all the time, and I might not have a high-quality one around cuz I couldn't justify buying it. Same thing with a heavy right angle joist drill. I can justify eighty bucks for that but not the $270 I'd spend for the Milwaukee gold standard.

 

BTW, I made a mistake and the $150 2 drill kit is only the smaller batteries, Id bump it up to 3 amp hour batteries.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've been happy with my Ryobi tools-  once I switched to the LiH batteries I had no regrets ever.  The old NiCad ones didnt' last, but the new batteries work great.  I've got 2 drills, an impact driver and a saw.  I'm a homeowner with lots of projects and they have been My brother-in-law went through a bunch Makita batteries a few years back.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

Pete

 

I have a bunch of the Ryobi 18 volt tools and for my basic homeowner use I’ve been very happy.  Ryobi has a fantastic selection of tools that all use the same batteries. Some of the most heavily used by me are drill, impact driver, reciprocating saw, circular saw, lantern (great for camping), fan (essential for off grid camping), weed wacker, 18 gauge brad nailer (very recent purchase that I love so far). I’ve got a bunch of other tools that I don’t use as much as these but none have let me down. I had a drill die on me but Ryobi bare tools are very affordable. If I were in the trades I’d feel differently but for weekend warrior use I’ve been very satisfied. 
 

Bob

Edited by bobnap

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, gellfex said:

Actually I don't mind buying cheap when it's the right tool. I have several Harbor Freight corded power tools that I'm perfectly happy with like a 3 inch belt sander. it's not a tool I use all the time, and I might not have a high-quality one around cuz I couldn't justify buying it. Same thing with a heavy right angle joist drill. I can justify eighty bucks for that but not the $270 I'd spend for the Milwaukee gold standard.

 

BTW, I made a mistake and the $150 2 drill kit is only the smaller batteries, Id bump it up to 3 amp hour batteries.

 

Yup! 2ah are too light. Crazy thing when I first bought my first drill and driver one battery crapped out within 2 years. Battery was 50 bucks short of the whole kit. Now have two kits.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.