JJ2602

Needlefish Newbie

Rate this topic

69 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, SC said:

Needlefish have produced extremely well during the daytime for many 

And this is what makes it so interesting to me.  I may be wrong but I haven’t found another plug with such contrast in opinion.  

1 min ago, JJ2602 said:

And this is what makes it so interesting to me.  I may be wrong but I haven’t found another plug with such contrast in opinion.  

My statement is not opinion. This is a fact that many can attest to and what I have seen with my own eyes. What is my opinion is that starting with a self fulfilling prophecy is counter-productive and limits or reduces the chance of success.

Sometimes it's ok not to understand why a bite is happening, people are obsessed with patterning everything and in that struggle to find the hard line rule of the day, we miss obvious opportunities.  A good example of that is the productivity that needlefish can present during day light hours.   Just as this is the case, so can any other list of patterns that if we bind our selves by what anyone claims  to be "facts", can miss out on what our otherwise blind approach would produce. In other words, dont follow rules and dont get discouraged when popular tactics dont work, be creative and keep an open mind...sometimes its color, sometimes its hook configuration....sometimes it's you and sometimes its nature. 

Edited by DeepBlue85

From my experience fishing these plugs in NJ, I think there are much better plugs to fish in a low current, beach front environment. If you are fishing heavy sweep around the jettys in jersey then go for it. Otherwise, id stick with soft plastic eels, sluggos, bombers, etc.

Some real good thoughts here.  In all my years of fishing needelfish, 100% have been from dusk and into the dark.  I never worry about whether sand eels are present or not.  These things catch fish regardless. I retrieve them super slow and always with a teaser in front.  I think this is what bothers most people who fish them.  It's a super slow retrieve and you don't feel any action like you would say retrieving an SP minnow.  I also always fish the sinking models.  I have never fished the floating models and would imagine these would shine when fishing boulder fields.  These lures can also be fished in the day time, but you would use a faster retrieve, more like a glider/spook action.  They work in NJ, the Outer Cape, and everywhere in between.

There doesn’t need to be sand eels present for them to be very effective and I will second the idea of using floaters in Boulder fields and over shallow beaches, they can be deadly. RM Smith and Afterhours make great truly floating needlefish. Super slow retrieve with just a tiny twitch every few cranks of the handle. Afterhours will paint up any color combo you want and the finish is bulletproof. I like that they cast great and recommend a teaser in front.  I also like to cast upsweep and let them swing across in front of me really slowly and that if something bumps it I can just let the floater sit there and twitch it. 
putting a skin on a needle isn’t a bad decision either. 
For me, nighttime is the right time for needlefish. 

Edited by zenman
Add time

15 hours ago, SC said:

Needlefish have produced extremely well during the daytime for many 

I’m sure they certainly have in many instances for a lot of guys. But needlefish have produced very well during the nighttime for Many more and I would put my house on that. Needles are predominately  a night time plug when fishing the surf. 
I wasn’t not trying to make up some kind of surf fishing rules or something. Nothing is ever set in stone as I’ve had good action on Redfins&Bottles, both of which I classify as a night plug too. I was just trying to relay to the OP that the plug produces better at night. 

9 hours ago, DragonsLax48 said:

From my experience fishing these plugs in NJ, I think there are much better plugs to fish in a low current, beach front environment. If you are fishing heavy sweep around the jettys in jersey then go for it. Otherwise, id stick with soft plastic eels, sluggos, bombers, etc.

I agree 100% here. I occasionally will fish the 1oz needles other than that the conditions really need to be roaring with big waves and heavy sweep.  “ This is strictly my opinion”