JJ2602

Needlefish Newbie

Rate this topic

69 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, JJ2602 said:

Makes sense thanks to you and everyone as well for helping solve the initial mystery....now time to put it into practice.  Hoping one of the local shops have it in stock, looking forward to giving this a run.  Heading out Wednesday and Thursday AM (only time off this week) 

Go to grumpys  he should have them buy a small yellow one and a green ava. Since your in the area head to ibsp and give it a try yellow teaser on both. Bite is day time in ocean county.

A needlefish is a very effective plug when the fish are on sand eels.  As crazybellringer said, get it out as far as you can and crank it slowly with an occasional small hop.  Hits on it are unmistakable.  You have to be patient.  As to size, match it to your tackle and the sweep on the beach.

Good luck.

6 mins ago, crazybellringer said:

Go to grumpys  he should have them buy a small yellow one and a green ava. Since your in the area head to ibsp and give it a try yellow teaser on both. Bite is day time in ocean county.

Was in OC last week and did well between an olive epoxy and green AVA both with a Yellow/White teaser until the first light bite died off.  White finback shad at the beach lip for the next couple of hours did well too.  Wanted to expand my horizons so that’s what inspired this post.  

Grumpy’s brings me back to the days of walking into Toys R Us as a kid.  Problem is I have a credit card now! #bringcashonly #leavethecreditcardathome

11 hours ago, DeepBlue85 said:

while everyone else were noodling their green tubes I was bouncing tidal tales and doing great.....oops I shared my schoolie secret.

Exactly what drove me to make this post.  Not that the green tubes are bad but I want to expand my horizons....maybe I’ll even go for a yellow tube next time ;)

Orange/red was a better color most of the time but alot of that sand eel bite has more to do with their feeding behavior than profile of your lure.  That also depends in large part to wind an surf conditions of the day, as well as tidal stage.  All of that effects sand eel behavior and if you can match that behavior well enough, the result is more consistent catch rates on all tides ....and all conditions, as long as the bait is present.  No doubt this last run was enjoyable on a lite rod, with a few better fish in the thick of the schoolies, things stayed interesting.... all over now.... and another year complete.

1 hour ago, DeepBlue85 said:

Orange/red was a better color most of the time but alot of that sand eel bite has more to do with their feeding behavior than profile of your lure.  That also depends in large part to wind an surf conditions of the day, as well as tidal stage.  All of that effects sand eel behavior and if you can match that behavior well enough, the result is more consistent catch rates on all tides ....and all conditions, as long as the bait is present.  No doubt this last run was enjoyable on a lite rod, with a few better fish in the thick of the schoolies, things stayed interesting.... all over now.... and another year complete.

Agree 100%. Color should be the last question to ask if it's asked at all.   More often than not I see people keep changing to a different color diamond jig until they get a fish, that'll be their hot color for the moment.  Never even bother to answer the proper questions like why? where? how?     

JJ2602,

is your first name Jon?  I had an amazon order for my book.  Just want to know if you’d like the book personalized.  
DZ

1 hour ago, hobobob said:

Agree 100%. Color should be the last question to ask if it's asked at all.   More often than not I see people keep changing to a different color diamond jig until they get a fish, that'll be their hot color for the moment.  Never even bother to answer the proper questions like why? where? how?     

The change of color comment I made was me being completely sarcastic...hoped the wink would show I was kidding sorry if that was not clear.  

I also agree about why where and how.  Looking to explore a lure and technique beyond the green tailed AVA a lot of people are fishing now. I spend every trip taking as many notes as possible on the conditions, structure, and catch to support the why where and how as my experience grows. 

I appreciate any insight on the why when and how....The initial post was to cut down on my anxiety at the bait shop needle plug wall with the small variance in weight between them all.  I was left scratching my head as to where to start. That has since been clarified with all of your help. Along with that came some great bits of info as to the why when and how.  

I’m new to this forum,  wasn’t sure how much I could ask before it would turn from education to ball breaking...although I do love me some good ball breaking. 

Thanks again guys!

Edited by JJ2602

47 mins ago, DZ said:

JJ2602,

is your first name Jon?  I had an amazon order for my book.  Just want to know if you’d like the book personalized.  
DZ

Wow that’s cool! After a recommendation on this thread I went and bought it....yes that’s me. (Jonathan)

Thanks!

1 min ago, JJ2602 said:

Wow that’s cool! After a recommendation on this thread I went and bought it....yes that’s me. (Jonathan)

Thanks!

Nice. Stick around and you might get to meet him someday. 

Sorry the comment was not toward you specifically.  It was a general statement. Usually when I am doing well, it's first two question asked is what am I using, and what color.  

1 min ago, hobobob said:

Sorry the comment was not toward you specifically.  It was a general statement. Usually when I am doing well, it's first two question asked is what am I using, and what color.  

All good....I can see the type and color question happening a lot.  I try to take time and listen to the salty old schoolers because in their priority list there are so many things that fall in line before type and color. 

Safe to say the easy OC bite on Wednesday last week was not based on green tailed AVA but on the fact of the tide/time/lunar/conditions/bait all came together? Im sure there is more but am I on the right track?