FlukUlele

Tibor reel finishes

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

Anyone know what the actual difference is between the satin and frost finishes on Tibor’s standard reels?  Looked around and can’t find much info but assume it must be somewhat different to justify a price diff of $100 dollars when new.

Anyone have any experience with black vs gold and how they show wear?  Is there a preference amongst you purists out there?

Polished is shiny and frost is matte.  All the same process except the anodizing on the polished is well polished.  Takes more man-hours to complete so it's more expensive.

BTW, I would not get gold for the simple reason that if you ever want to sell it, gold will not sell as well.  Gold is considered old fashioned by many (including me). I have a gunmetal Tibor  - it's the prettiest reel I own.  I wish I didn't like the custom colors as much as I do.

I have a 5-6 in black frost. It’s cheaper and that’s good enough for me. As said above, it’s the same anodization, one is polished the other isn’t. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

Thank you sir(s).  I think the gold appeals as a classic color, however the silver to me looks nice and modern. I like that matte finish just hard to see in online pictures. 

Appreciate the insight on selling price. Though I’m not sure I’m getting one but I have been looking at them quite a bit since the weather turned colder. Going to be a long and  probably expensive winter.

Edited by FlukUlele
Typo

15 mins ago, FlukUlele said:

Thank you sir(s).  I think the gold appeals as a classic color, however the silver to me looks nice and modern. I like that matte finish just hard to see in online pictures. 

Appreciate the insight on selling price. Though I’m not sure I’m getting one but I have been looking at them quite a bit since the weather turned colder. Going to be a long and  probably expensive winter.

you only live once and those reels are easy to resell should you find yourself not using it.

The original colors of "champagne" gold and gloss black always seemed to have a gloss finish. The metal is a little softer than say an Islander and / or Abel ... even the Billy Pate.

So the reels do scratch. If left unattended after saltwater fishing you can get corrosion spots (as you can with most any metal reel). The gold does not show scratches as easily as the gloss black can.

Great reels! I have a family of them.

1 hour ago, Cpalms said:

Polished is shiny and frost is matte.  All the same process except the anodizing on the polished is well polished.  Takes more man-hours to complete so it's more expensive.

BTW, I would not get gold for the simple reason that if you ever want to sell it, gold will not sell as well.  Gold is considered old fashioned by many (including me). I have a gunmetal Tibor  - it's the prettiest reel I own.  I wish I didn't like the custom colors as much as I do.

It’s actually the the preparation of the  machined parts that is the difference. Before anodizing the aluminum needs to be polished to a mirror finish to get a polished finish. The part prep pre-anodizing for the frost is a much less labor intensive process.

I agree with the gold but was able to get a gold riptide at a steal and made it work by swapping spools and drag knobs with my black one. I am very happy the 2-tone effect.

32 mins ago, KironaFly said:

The original colors of "champagne" gold and gloss black always seemed to have a gloss finish. The metal is a little softer than say an Islander and / or Abel ... even the Billy Pate.

So the reels do scratch. If left unattended after saltwater fishing you can get corrosion spots (as you can with most any metal reel). The gold does not show scratches as easily as the gloss black can.

Great reels! I have a family of them.

Pretty sure they are all made of 6061 aluminum so there should be no difference in “softness”. The only thing that would make one scratch easier than another would be the type of anodizing ( type ll vs type lll), but again I believe they all use type ll anodizing. 

On 12/1/2019 at 0:16 PM, Drew C. said:

I don’t mind gold on a fly reel as long as it’s not NJ guido gold. The original gold tibor was a nice color. 

Love this and agree 

On 12/1/2019 at 1:07 PM, Dave T. said:

Pretty sure they are all made of 6061 aluminum so there should be no difference in “softness”. The only thing that would make one scratch easier than another would be the type of anodizing ( type ll vs type lll), but again I believe they all use type ll anodizing. 

Anodizing is over-rated.I have a 30 y/o reel w/ a bunch of the anodizing worn off and although it's my go-to reel for SW I've never seen anything resembling corrosion on it even when I don't rinse for a week.

have a a few old original TIBORS.  they are scatched and dented for a tough life of charter fishing.  Still work well but they have been retired for the most part. I still use a couple of Gulfstreams and Pacific when taking clients bill fishing.  what I have noticed and it is 100% my fault is corrosion when the handle is attached.  The backing has salt and has corroded the screw and removed the anodizing.  Like  said my fault.  When I get back from Central America I don't take time to wash the reels.  They are washed every day on the boat but need a little more TLC when I get home.