jason colby

Spring Plymouth Flounder?

Rate this topic

21 posts in this topic

Anyone here willing to share some "flounder intel" for The Plymouth Area? As the Boston Harbor flounder population has been decimated (over worked by draggers), I'm looking for new turf for Spring 2020 and I'm very seriously considering starting the year (04/15 to 07/15) in Plymouth Harbor before my move to Westport for the rest of the year. I have a chart of the harbor and the structure looks great with lots of places to fish on virtually any wind (which is one of my criteria). For that reason, I believe Sesuit and Barnstable Harbors are "out" as any wind out of the north would make fishing tough...

Please answer here or PM me if you like, I am already over 90% sure this is going to happen as I can't justify the fishing I had in 2019 for my customers coming up from NY which is about 75% of my spring business.

Thank you!

Captain Jason Colby

Little Sister Charters 

Posted (edited) · Report post

I would stay in Quincy. I fish  Plymouth Kingston and Duxbury along with Scituate and the N/S river. Fishing for flounder has sucked for the past 3 years. I haven't caught a limit in two years  . I will say the cold springs the last 3 years with lots of rain/clouds and spring  Nor'easters and pounding surf never allowed the harbors to heat up properly. Without warm water the worms don't come out of the mud .The excess fresh water sinks to the channel bottom that the fish and worms don't like and the pounding surf and dirty water flowing across the mouth of the harbors is also not inviting to the fish . Lets  hope for some sun and wind out of the west this spring

Edited by boulderdash

i have talked with a couple local experience draggers and they said...."stay in Quincy".They said there is not enough fish to keep charter after charter on the fish.

but.... i don't know anyone with your flounder skills and i don't know anyone that fishes hard for flounder in plymouth,duxbury,marshfield.

46 mins ago, hotfishgirl said:

i have talked with a couple local experience draggers and they said...."stay in Quincy".They said there is not enough fish to keep charter after charter on the fish.

I remember as a kid driving along Wollaston Beach and seeing hundreds of boats out there.  Didn't get to experience until about 20 years ago, fun and great eats!

52 mins ago, John O' said:

I remember as a kid driving along Wollaston Beach and seeing hundreds of boats out there.  Didn't get to experience until about 20 years ago, fun and great eats!

I can recall dead sticking right up on the beach at Blacks creek and filling the buckets with nice flattys We never failed back in those times with catching them in numbers , just as good as those using boats to fish for them Moon and Long island was also just as good as was the Hummocks and Squaw Rock. 

12 mins ago, Angler #1 said:

I can recall dead sticking right up on the beach at Blacks creek and filling the buckets with nice flattys We never failed back in those times with catching them in numbers , just as good as those using boats to fish for them Moon and Long island was also just as good as was the Hummocks and Squaw Rock. 

Must've been great back in the day Carl. I've always heard Quincy Bay was known worldwide for its flounder fishing. Then the combined sewer overflows did a number om them, in the 70s maybe?

Posted (edited) · Report post

40 mins ago, Angler #1 said:

I can recall dead sticking right up on the beach at Blacks creek and filling the buckets with nice flattys…... 

And understandably so. 

Dropping water flushed out all sorts of "edibles" from the salt marsh across the road into open water.  Like ringing the dinner bell for flatty's and others.      

Edited by Joe G

Sold one and a half fish boxes of black back from pleasant bay back before the lovely seals came along.

Now I have to travel off cape to fish with Jason in Quincy for black backs 

4 hours ago, John O' said:

Must've been great back in the day Carl. I've always heard Quincy Bay was known worldwide for its flounder fishing. Then the combined sewer overflows did a number om them, in the 70s maybe?

John Quincy Bay was known world wide as the capitol city to catch flounder. Bus loads would travel from all over to fish the bay for flounder. They would stay two or three days and leave on the bus with loads of nice fillets . It was a well known pilgrimage event that was well attended. The same good have also been said of the Cod and Haddock fishing back in those times. Unfortunately many of those paying for the bus ride [Mostly to Rhody ] Gail Frances Fleet, would drink all the time they got on the bus and in some cases never ever got to go on the trip as a result . I some cases they still insisted on going , only to regret getting sever sea sick from the lack of no sleep and over indulging and not eating right. It never made it nice for those of us who came to fish and having to deal with a drunk chumming all the time we were out. I still think that some of the local flounder locations back in those times could still hold flounder from a boat.  

15 hours ago, Angler #1 said:

John Quincy Bay was known world wide as the capitol city to catch flounder. Bus loads would travel from all over to fish the bay for flounder. …..  

Yep.  Houghs Neck.  Hurleys and Harveys.     :th:

Back in the day, for a reasonable cost, I could rent an outboard, buy a flat, and soak seaworms off Rainsford  or Hangman's, have a youngster at dockside fillet my flatties for 10 cents a piece, and go back to Boston a happy man..

20 hours ago, Joe G said:

And understandably so. 

Dropping water flushed out all sorts of "edibles" from the salt marsh across the road into open water.  Like ringing the dinner bell for flatty's and others.      

"Edibles"?  I imagine there was plenty of corn back then as well....

19 hours ago, 27conch said:

Why are there dragges in Boston Harbor?  Who thought this would be a good idea and sustainable? :banghd:

There have been no "legal" draggers inside Boston Harbor in decades (I have heard reports of some small boats towing at night though)  BUT the local dragger fleet (all of about a dozen boats) know exactly what paths the flounder take when they are entering and departing The Harbor so very few fish are able to escape their incessant towing...,.