pigsticker

Christmas Island (Kiritimati) questions...help!

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

Hello all, 

A friend of mine and myself are very interested in fishing CI in the next year or so. I have found a few detailed reports on here but they are significantly older. Has anybody been lately and whats the most recent experience? Also, we would like to stay with a reputable outfit and a place that isn’t “run down”, so what would be the best outfit to book with?

I’m also aware that CI is well known as a fly fishing destination but what about conventional tackle? I have found very little to no information about their offshore fishing for bigger gamefish including pelagics. Is offshore only a seasonal thing at CI? I do enjoy surfcasting as well, is this possible on this island? I understand the purist fly approach, and so be it, I can fling a fly just fine, but I really just enjoy catching fish and would not be opposed to conventional gear, just wondering if it would work here. 

Our trip would be in early December, is this a good time to fish the island? Thanks in advance for your help and opinions!

6 hours ago, pigsticker said:

Hello all, 

A friend of mine and myself are very interested in fishing CI in the next year or so. I have found a few detailed reports on here but they are significantly older. Has anybody been lately and whats the most recent experience? Also, we would like to stay with a reputable outfit and a place that isn’t “run down”, so what would be the best outfit to book with?

I’m also aware that CI is well known as a fly fishing destination but what about conventional tackle? I have found very little to no information about their offshore fishing for bigger gamefish including pelagics. Is offshore only a seasonal thing at CI? I do enjoy surfcasting as well, is this possible on this island? I understand the purist fly approach, and so be it, I can fling a fly just fine, but I really just enjoy catching fish and would not be opposed to conventional gear, just wondering if it would work here. 

Our trip would be in early December, is this a good time to fish the island? Thanks in advance for your help and opinions!

Call Yellowdog flyfishing. they book more trips there than anybody.  I heard its great flyfishing spot especially you need to lose 20 pounds.  The accommodations are awful.

Other then wanting to go to Kiritimati, sounds like you are looking for a trip that CI isn't really gonna provide you.  You might be better off checking out no boundaries and fish Oman or the Andaman Islands.  Might even hit New Zealand.  Lots of amazing fishing opportunities in exotic places which will meet your trip and experience needs.

Posted (edited) · Report post

If your interested in a DIY trip then get a hold of this guy. I was hoping to do a trip there this month but things fell thru. I'm not sure if there is any place that is not run down. He has contacts for local guides that you can use whenever to do lagoon or off shore. Diy is around $3000/each and an outfitter is $6000/each. And if money is no problem, yes I would check out Oman or Panama kayak fishing.

Edited by TimS
commercial contact info removed

Posted (edited) · Report post

Contact member Wicked Dan. I’m told it’s similar to Panama fishing, speed jigging from a kayak, which is crazy fun.

Edited by cheech

23 hours ago, Cpalms said:

Call Yellowdog flyfishing. they book more trips there than anybody.  I heard its great flyfishing spot especially you need to lose 20 pounds.  The accommodations are awful.

I was going to make the same recommendation.  Yellow Dog is a top-tier operation, and probably the only one that I'd think of booking if I was making the trip.