Any flies with a spook action?

Rate this topic

BillyBallGame

I’m not positive here, but I want to say there are people who trim deer flies into that shape for the effect. I think it takes some fine tuning and test practice to get the shape to provide the exact effect that you want. 

I think another recommendation might be that you could do something similar to Popovics’ Siliclone with trimmed sheep fleece and a silicone coating...a pop lip gives an awesome wiggle action, for what it’s worth. 

Just the first things that came to thought. 

I've never tried making them, and have not bought any, but they say the "Pole Dancer" fly has a similar action. It's a side to side movement, but I'm not sure it's the same as a spook. IMO, it's more like a glide bait. Still, it's supposed to be a fish catcher. The video's I've seen look cool! Look up the Zaggin Zook too. Same fly, different name, a copy with different name to avoid trademark issues. There's Youtube video's that show how they move.

I've also seen some balsa "flies" made to be tossed with fly gear, but wouldn't call them a "fly". It's a fly rod lure, that's for certain. They're shaping them like a spook, but smaller, lighter versions. Again, I'm not sure they really get the same side to side, walk the dog action, simply because of how they're retrieved. They're interesting, and likely a bear to cast any distance. 

I've seen photo's on Facebook from a fellow who makes all kinds of "hard" fly rod lures, and have to say they're neat to see. Some look like spooks, some like flatfish, some like the various Arbogast lures & some like the old Heddon's. He's got some with props/propellers like the Tiny Torpedo, and some that are his own ideas too. I recall seeing similar lures made for fly tackle back when I was a kid, and in magazines or catalogs from before then. 

They're not my thing, as much as I love fishing fly gear, and tossing Spooks on other tackle.  If I have to go to such types of lures, I'd just as soon be using a baitcaster. I would toss most anything when I was younger, with fly tackle, if it meant catching, but not so inclined now. To each his own. 

Look to Jack Gartside / EZ Body / Corsair minnow bodies to easily tie a slider. You can put a float in them (cork or foam) to ensure they stay on top .... and just work it as a Spook. Another alternative would be a large Crease Fly.

Have fun making it happen and Catch a Big One!

RockfishOn!! :cool:

Using a long shank spinnerbait hook(5/0-6/0) tie in a healthy amount of flash and bucktail off the back but leave 3/4 of the shank empty.Tie a bulky deerhair head w/ a collar,like on a muddler but much bigger and longer,on that open shank and trim it tight leaving a large,flat front to the "face".There ya go,that simple.I use them all the time for pike and bass.On a floating line it stays just under the surface and keeps the action when you go to a sinking line.

You might also want to look up a guy named Gunnar Brammer on YT.Although he specializes in muskie/pike/bass he does a lot of big fish ties that work like you want.He's got a couple vids on head construction and how it affects action...easier to point you to that than try and explain in print.

Another thing I like to do is tie the fly onto an 80lb shock tippet w/ a loop knot.The loop knot rarely draws tight evenly and the offset of the knot imparts some crazy action to the fly.

10 hours ago, slip n slide said:

Using a long shank spinnerbait hook(5/0-6/0) tie in a healthy amount of flash and bucktail off the back but leave 3/4 of the shank empty.Tie a bulky deerhair head w/ a collar,like on a muddler but much bigger and longer,on that open shank and trim it tight leaving a large,flat front to the "face".There ya go,that simple.I use them all the time for pike and bass.On a floating line it stays just under the surface and keeps the action when you go to a sinking line.

You might also want to look up a guy named Gunnar Brammer on YT.Although he specializes in muskie/pike/bass he does a lot of big fish ties that work like you want.He's got a couple vids on head construction and how it affects action...easier to point you to that than try and explain in print.

Another thing I like to do is tie the fly onto an 80lb shock tippet w/ a loop knot.The loop knot rarely draws tight evenly and the offset of the knot imparts some crazy action to the fly.

This sounds good. Next project for me. Thanks for sharing.

On 11/30/2019 at 9:47 PM, BillyBallGame said:

Anyone have luck tying Or finding a fly that walks like a spook plug? Specifically something with some size? Just thinking about my success with docs and super spooks this year and trying to replicate it on the fly for next season. 

these are close to 8",left-to-right swim on retrieve...

large BTD's using a lot of thick,hollow bucktail toward the front half of the fly will swim side-to-side too

20191201_222023kkk.jpg