MooseJuice

New Member Intro - Cape Cod

Rate this topic

32 posts in this topic

Hey all,

I just wanted introduce myself as a new member on the forum. I am an experienced trout fly fisherman, having spent the last 10 years fishing year-round in Colorado and Wyoming. I was born and raised on the south coast of MA, and am returning to the area permanently after the new year. While I still intend to trout fish in New England, I am going to be doing a lot of saltwater fly fishing in the Cape Cod area. I am very new to fly fishing the salt and am really excited to learn from all of you and this forum.

I picked up a 9' 9wt and a 9' 10wt and am doing a lot of studying on how to target stripers, blues and albies on the fly. I will mostly be fishing on foot, as I do not have a boat.

Anyway, thanks for having me on the forum and I look forward to learning with you all!

-John

Welcome aboard :)  Ninety five percent of what you need to know to catch bass on flies the trout have already taught you :read: When they are eating shrimp or spearing that are drifting in the current everything you already learned about dead drifting nymphs or dries comes into play. When they are ambushing baitfish disoriented but the waves and currents everything you learned about fishing streamers comes into play :)

With stripers about the single most important thing is that you need to convince them that they have the element of surprise. Trout will chase down a fast moving streamer like a cat chasing a mouse...most time bass won’t bother :)

TimS

I've seen it all over the years, when clients switch from fresh to the brine.

My best advice, get rid of the nymph mentality of short twitches and pauses.

Pauses are good in the salt, but make those strips as long as possible.

That's the hardest concept for some to overcome.

Edited by Capt.Castafly

Welcome! Saltwater fly fishing is very addictive. I used to surf cast 80-90% of the time and over the last few years almost entirely fly fishing from the beach or back bays on Long Island. Also started tying my own and most all fish I’ve caught on my own flies. If you really want to have some fun fishing from shore check out the two hand thread. 

Welcome to the site , catching stripers are easy, they are not smart fish to get the line tight . The most difficult part in recent decades is the ability to find them . Yes there are residential SB , structure changes on the east coast from major storms have made the fishing on foot , beach most difficult and access to fish frustrating . If you can get a boat do so it’s the way to go . Not many bait presentations needed simple basic , Clouser , olive blue , chartreuse don’t forget pink over white . One thing that is important I learned over many decades of Striper targeting . Pick an area close to home and learn that beach / estuary’s  seasonal pattern . Join a club some good guys on this site also .  Tight Lines 

Thanks for the nice reception and striper tips, they are much appreciated! 

I had a question about lines; I was thinking of going for a spool of floating line and a spool of intermediate line for the 9wt and a full sinking line for the 10wt. Does this make sense? 

I have read that AirFlo makes some nice casting, long lasting lines that don't seem to have much memory and avoid tangles better than most. I am considering the AirFlo Ridge Striper for the 9wt in both floating and intermediate and the AirFlo Sniper Sink 7 for the 10wt. This is purely based on some positive reviews that I have read and could easily be persuaded to something else if you have better recommendations. 

Thanks for the help!

Not everyone agrees with me. Nothing new there. My go to general purpose single hand fly rod for the NE Coast is the 10 wt. mind a real 10 wt not one which has a 10 wt label but which is really a 12 wt.

Having a 9 and a 10 is nice. Many times you are going to appreciate having the 10 wt to cast not just fast sink lines but an Intermediate and floating lines to.

Mostly on the Cape the Intermediate and floater are going to be fished a lot. The fast sink is useful from shore at times on steep beaches or fast current inlets.

Key for you having come from fresh to salt is the need to understand the tide phases. The importance of dawn and dusk. The need to fish at night if you wish to catch much bigger fish. It is like comparing chalk to cheese.
 Casting takes more effort and a double haul is really a necessity. 
Your catches will be better if you will  elect to cast into a wind rather than chase wind at back. 

Rich Murphy’s book is very useful as is Lou Tabory’s book.
Cape is pretty easy to read and it will not take you long to find good marks.

Bass love current.

Mike

4 hours ago, Mike Oliver said:

Not everyone agrees with me. Nothing new there. My go to general purpose single hand fly rod for the NE Coast is the 10 wt. mind a real 10 wt not one which has a 10 wt label but which is really a 12 wt.

Having a 9 and a 10 is nice. Many times you are going to appreciate having the 10 wt to cast not just fast sink lines but an Intermediate and floating lines to.

Mostly on the Cape the Intermediate and floater are going to be fished a lot. The fast sink is useful from shore at times on steep beaches or fast current inlets.

Key for you having come from fresh to salt is the need to understand the tide phases. The importance of dawn and dusk. The need to fish at night if you wish to catch much bigger fish. It is like comparing chalk to cheese.
 Casting takes more effort and a double haul is really a necessity. 
Your catches will be better if you will  elect to cast into a wind rather than chase wind at back. 

Rich Murphy’s book is very useful as is Lou Tabory’s book.
Cape is pretty easy to read and it will not take you long to find good marks.

Bass love current.

Mike

Thanks Mike, lots of good info there, I appreciate it!

I have asked for Rich Murphys book as well as Lou Taborys for Christmas. Thanks for the recomendations!

Noted on the 10wt. My 10wt is an Orvis Recon that is supposed to be pretty true to weight rod, though I have not given it a cast yet. I'll look into some extra spools and lines for my 10wt when the 9 won't cut it. 

Thanks again for all of the feedback, I can hardly wait until spring!

On 12/1/2019 at 4:33 PM, MooseJuice said:

Thanks for the nice reception and striper tips, they are much appreciated! 

I had a question about lines; I was thinking of going for a spool of floating line and a spool of intermediate line for the 9wt and a full sinking line for the 10wt. Does this make sense? 

I have read that AirFlo makes some nice casting, long lasting lines that don't seem to have much memory and avoid tangles better than most. I am considering the AirFlo Ridge Striper for the 9wt in both floating and intermediate and the AirFlo Sniper Sink 7 for the 10wt. This is purely based on some positive reviews that I have read and could easily be persuaded to something else if you have better recommendations. 

Thanks for the help!

Welcome Aboard!  You are going to like it here.  RJ

The Air Flow Ridge lines are perfect for the Cape.

Here is a reading list to get you head in the game.  Ed Mitchells, "Flyrodding Estuaries" Is the best Primer for fishing New England.

Amazon should have some of those in stock.  I recommend the books lines on sale.  Most of them a books who's shelf Life ran out in book stores all over the nation. They will 30 or 40% cheaper than the New books. Alan Caolo's Sight Fishing Striped Bass.is excellent. Both book have lots of pictures and drawings.  Both Authors are Noreasters.

Merry Christmas

There is a Fly Show in Marlboro, MA in mid January.  Goggle 2020 Fly Fishing Show for directions.  Will you be living on the Cape?  If maybe one of the CC Guys who are going to the Show might offer to let you ride with them to the Show.  Keep sending SOL messages to hit 15 sent.  That will open the window for private messages to & from  individuals who will send you tips.

PS I recommend you pick up Rich Murphy's Book at the Fly Fishing Show.  It's a little cheaper and Rich Murphy will autograph it.  You are 12 messages away from getting 15 posts.  When you get to 16 I'll PM you

Don't order Murphy's book on line..

Edited by RJ

Welcome!

9&10wts are a great start. Then once you get into it you will want an 8wt, then a 7wt lol. pretty soon you will need an addition to your house for all your gear!

I fish int 80% floating 20% depending on spot and tides. Love bucktails and  deceivers with some flat wings and clousers. Oh almost forgot the bunny flies! I always have a few white tan grey black with me

On 11/30/2019 at 5:25 PM, TimS said:

Welcome aboard :)  Ninety five percent of what you need to know to catch bass on flies the trout have already taught you :read: When they are eating shrimp or spearing that are drifting in the current everything you already learned about dead drifting nymphs or dries comes into play. When they are ambushing baitfish disoriented but the waves and currents everything you learned about fishing streamers comes into play :)

With stripers about the single most important thing is that you need to convince them that they have the element of surprise. Trout will chase down a fast moving streamer like a cat chasing a mouse...most time bass won’t bother :)

TimS

Nice break down Boss!

Welcome back to the Mass....Moose!   You're gonna love it here!!!!