TBYRD

2019 shotgun deer season

Rate this topic

30 posts in this topic

22/24 inches the last couple days will mostly shut it down around here for a while.

Not many guys want to do the snowshoe thing, and what would you do with a dead deer a mile from the road in 2 feet of powder...:why:

1 hour ago, Plug and teaser said:

22/24 inches the last couple days will mostly shut it down around here for a while.

Not many guys want to do the snowshoe thing, and what would you do with a dead deer a mile from the road in 2 feet of powder...:why:

Heard a few shots yesterday morning while shoveling snow, was outside for about an hour already today (broken hose on snowplow) and it was pretty quiet...………...

Maybe the millennials and the entitled will demand another couple of days for deer season seeing it's just to hard and uncomfortable to hunt in weather like this...………...  

Posted (edited) · Report post

18 mins ago, b-ware said:

Heard a few shots yesterday morning while shoveling snow, was outside for about an hour already today (broken hose on snowplow) and it was pretty quiet...………...

Maybe the millennials and the entitled will demand another couple of days for deer season seeing it's just to hard and uncomfortable to hunt in weather like this...………...  

They need the skidder roads plowed for their Quads.....:)

Edited by Plug and teaser

Day two was more difficult to get around, but still had shot opportunities on several does, and one big one that turned out to be a nice buck. 

No shots taken. 

Haven’t seen anybody in the woods the past couple days. Only a truck here and there parked. I think this snow put a damper on anybody that’s lazy or just not healthy enough to trek through the woods. I am loving it. Slows you down; but it also slows the deer down. I had one in my cross hairs Monday I had been tracking for about an hour. Only 75 yds but when I realized he was there I put my scope on him and couldn’t see his head. I have no doe tags for where I was hunting and don’t plan to shoot any small bucks right now so I had to wait. Caught glimpse of tall antlers as soon as he stepped out but quickly went into the laurel before I could make the decision if he was what I was looking for. 0E4B2294-465B-4B2E-A02D-1FA57F064EAD.jpeg.3ea7180077751d7448125e7429d629cd.jpeg

Without an anterless permit this year, ofcourse I'm seeing big beautiful doe everytime I go out! :banghd:

Oh well.... thankful I can still enjoy hunting for now.

People I know, that do big deer drives, have been doing well in this snow!!

flZo3kCL-25633076.jpg

Resized_bJIxo9w3-38917634.jpeg

4 hours ago, TBYRD said:

Without an anterless permit this year, ofcourse I'm seeing big beautiful doe everytime I go out! :banghd:

flZo3kCL-25633076.jpg

Whoa that bottom one is a donkey. Nice!!!!!

4 hours ago, TBYRD said:

flZo3kCL-25633076.jpg

Great deer! Both of those are studs.

I’m heading out in the morning with the bow. I just can’t get into the shotgun hunting. Personal preference, but deer drives aren’t for me. I could sit in the stand with a shotgun, but personally, I’d much rather challenge myself with a bow. I’ve got busted a few times this year and there’s some stuff that I’d like to work on for next year. 

1 hour ago, JTR said:

Great deer! Both of those are studs.

I’m heading out in the morning with the bow. I just can’t get into the shotgun hunting. Personal preference, but deer drives aren’t for me. I could sit in the stand with a shotgun, but personally, I’d much rather challenge myself with a bow. I’ve got busted a few times this year and there’s some stuff that I’d like to work on for next year. 

:th:   Got a nice little buck with a bow in shotgun one year, always glad I brought the bow that day.

On 12/3/2019 at 7:14 AM, Plug and teaser said:

Drag it. Most of the day. Without snowshoes. Wasn't the most fun I've ever had.  :laugh:

20191204_094658.jpg

Nice buck. I have a jet sled on standby for long drags through snow. Got out for a couple hours this morning; if this doe had a nice set of antlers on her she would have been toast. 73759DF1-C837-4CEB-AC1B-05FA09AD61FB.jpeg.572120c40465d079cb0de3f1779dcf58.jpeg