TBYRD

2019 shotgun deer season

Rate this topic

30 posts in this topic

For the first time in recent memory, we will have a great base of snow for shotgun season.

Who is going out Monday in the blizzard? 

I'll be still hunting hemlock stands and spot/stalk tracking.... my favorite way to hunt!  :shaky:

Took a walk up behind my house this morning, awesome amount of deer sign, couple of decent rubs and a mother and cub bear tracks.

Gathering up the makins for Christmas decorations, (hemlock boughs) no help from the grand daughters this year.  Tomorrow I'll go to another wood lot for holly, red berries, tiny pine cones and maybe some acorns.

Flushed 2 patridge on the hill, scared the crap out of the mighty Jax (130 lb. Great Pyraneese)         

1 hour ago, b-ware said:

Took a walk up behind my house this morning, awesome amount of deer sign, couple of decent rubs and a mother and cub bear tracks.

Gathering up the makins for Christmas decorations, (hemlock boughs) no help from the grand daughters this year.  Tomorrow I'll go to another wood lot for holly, red berries, tiny pine cones and maybe some acorns.

Flushed 2 patridge on the hill, scared the crap out of the mighty Jax (130 lb. Great Pyraneese)         

I've been thinking I need to head north to find huntable amounts of partridges. Maybe south instead!

We have practically zero here. Never even hear them drumming in the spring anymore.

14 mins ago, Eagles Dare said:

I've been thinking I need to head north to find huntable amounts of partridges. Maybe south instead!

We have practically zero here. Never even hear them drumming in the spring anymore.

This area was logged off a couple of years ago a lot of low brush berries and bugs.  I would imagine a four legged predator would find it difficult to stalk the birds.  This are also has some springs and seeps and gravel too.

Back to the OP . . . 

I'm hoping we only get 6" or less. Much more than that and I'll be plowing opening day instead of hunting.  :banghd:

3 mins ago, Eagles Dare said:

Back to the OP . . . 

I'm hoping we only get 6" or less. Much more than that and I'll be plowing opening day instead of hunting.  :banghd:

Nothing is more exhausting than dragging 150 lbs. of venison through 12+ in. of powder, up hill...…………..

I actually saw a surprising number of partridge this fall, in spite of Charlie. Pleasant surprise. Saw some tiny birds that must have been a late brood.  

11 hours ago, Eagles Dare said:

Back to the OP . . . 

Looking at the projections......I think you should hope it's not up to your waist..... :squid:

They'll probably hole up for a couple days after this, Wednesday /Thursday... :th: 

This will be the first opening day that im going to miss since i started.

I cannot miss work, I was out of work 7 months this year and i need to get as many hours in as possible. 

If I get a layoff in December I will hunt then. And of course this guy is behind my house. 

Oh well i had my fun earlier in the year.

To all those hunting be careful out there and use caution getting in and out of your treestand.

Good luck, 

CDY_0038.JPG

was walking around conservation land in my town yesterday to beat the snow. saw no fewer than 4 wireless trailcams. i waved to all of them. :p

Only bumped one small doe today.

For the first time ever I saw more human tracks than deer tracks!! 

Word travels fast in a small town and after 3-5 years of harvesting quality deer from "my" spot, it seems the other guys want a piece of the action.

Time for plan B.

No action for me but my buddy jumped a few doing a push. At least we moved a few. Pretty quiet today, heard 2 shots. Wet, cold, and in the truck by noon

2 mins ago, TBYRD said:

Only bumped one small doe today.

For the first time ever I saw more human tracks than deer tracks!! 

Word travels fast in a small town and after 3-5 years of harvesting quality deer from "my" spot, it seems the other guys want a piece of the action.

Time for plan B.

That happened to us about 15 years ago when New England Fish and Game practically named our town as ground zero.  Anyone who knows the area could look at a topo map and see exactly where to go based on their description.   

The following fall, there were guys putting tree stands up within spitting distance of ours.   Packs of guys driving deer through woods we never saw another hunter in (that we didn't know already)

The coup de grace was when my buddy shot a doe during archery season and it died up against this new guys stand.  Ran right into it and expired.