FlatWing

Need Help from SOL members regarding Bunker Reduction Overharvest

Rate this topic

20 posts in this topic

My fellow SOL members:

I received this today and am asking all of you to step up and participate in this issue:

Holding Cooke Seafood/Omega Protein Accountable

Sign the letter to uphold non-compliance finding against company ignoring Chesapeake Bay conservation measures

Hello

Omega Protein, the sole industrial harvester of East Coast menhaden, has brazenly announced that it knowingly went over its menhaden quota by almost 35 million pounds. The foreign-owned company harvested 67,000 metric tons (147,668,000 pounds) of menhaden from Virginia waters of the Chesapeake Bay and has been unapologetic about its intentions to no longer abide by the harvest cap lawfully set by the Atlantic States Marine Fisheries Commission (ASMFC).

For this reason, the ASMFC voted unanimously in October to find the state of Virginia out of compliance with its menhaden fishery management plan. Virginia is the only East Coast state that still allows reduction harvesters in state waters. This fishery harvest of menhaden in the Chesapeake Bay has been under intense scrutiny for decades due to its concentrated removals of a critical food source for striped bass and other important sportfish in their primary spawning grounds on the East Coast. Some studies indicate the menhaden fishery could be reducing striped bass populations by as much as 30 percent.

Conservationists have applauded the ASMFC for its decision to find the State of Virginia out of compliance due to the careless actions of Omega Protein and are now calling on U.S. Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross to uphold that finding. This will ensure that no company is allowed to willfully ignore U.S. laws and regulations.

By signing this letter, you will be joining thousands of other conservationists in their call for Secretary Ross to defend the marine resources of the United States and shut down the menhaden fishery in Virginia until Omega Protein comes back into compliance with the fishery management plan.

CLICK HERE TO SIGN THE LETTER 

Cheers,
Paul
www.menhadendefenders.org/

Better to write your own letter or email as a as in the AMFSC discounted many of the form letters re the recent striped bass addendum 6

18 mins ago, frazerp said:

Better to write your own letter or email as a as in the AMFSC discounted many of the form letters re the recent striped bass addendum 6

Yes. Don’t bother with chain letters or petitions. They are worthless. 

17 hours ago, frazerp said:

17 hours ago, Drew C. said:

Yes. Don’t bother with chain letters or petitions. They are worthless. 

Can you post any email address, or should letters go to general inbox ASMFC address?

I get that Frazerp and Drew are understandably bitter over ASMFC's discounting of the letters that they received, but having been involved in many environmental issues since 1981, I can state unequivocally that letters and petitions provided by environmental organizations for member and/or general public signature have proven to be a very effective means of bringing about change.

One of my first involvements was signing the petition that John Bushell Sr. had on the counter of Betty and Nicks B&T in the early 80's.  The situation it addressed was the ACOE environmental impact report vis-à-vis the proposal to construct "West Way" as an elevated highway parallel to the then crumbling West Side Highway, in lieu of repairing the latter.  The subject report falsified data to show that the wetlands proposed for landfill were not a nursery for fingerling Striped Bass.  We won the fight, and the colonel in charge of generating the false report lost his position of authority.

As regards my OP - if you read what I posted, ASMFC has already unanimously voted to find Virginia out of compliance - in response to which Omega Protein "brazenly announced that it knowingly went over its menhaden quota by almost 35 million pounds. The foreign-owned company harvested 67,000 metric tons (147,668,000 pounds) of menhaden from Virginia waters of the Chesapeake Bay and has been unapologetic about its intentions to no longer abide by the harvest cap lawfully set by the Atlantic States Marine Fisheries Commission (ASMFC)."  Therefore the purpose for collecting signatures on the letter (actually a petition) is to petition Wilbur Ross to "defend the marine resources of the United States and shut down the menhaden fishery in Virginia until Omega Protein comes back into compliance with the fishery management plan."

I personally am once again disappointed in my fellow SOL'ers lack of response to this issue - as of this response, at least 81 members have viewed this topic and only 1 has posted that they took action to sign the letter.  In my opinion, no one should complain about an issue when they did not get involved in the effort to rectify it.

Thanks for the post. Didn't realize that it was now a foreign owned entity. That fact alone may make some difference with the right wingnut politicos that dominate the Northern Neck of VA. Then again ... maybe not.

37 mins ago, NedRyerson said:

Read and signed.  Why debate whether it's an effective strategy or not?  It takes 10 seconds to do.

There’s no debate. It’s not an effective strategy. It’s a waste of time. Take 5 minutes and write a real one. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

1 hour ago, NedRyerson said:

Read and signed.  Why debate whether it's an effective strategy or not?  It takes 10 seconds to do.

That's EXACTLY the point that other members have made, signing an electronic partition carries little weight with regulators because it takes so little effort. 

I've sent a personal email to Wilbur Ross expressing my dissatisfaction with Omega Protein's disregard for menhaden regulations.  My letter got rid of the "foreign company" references and emphasized the critical nature of menhaden's impact on coastal commerce,  I sincerely doubt The Secretary of Commerce has great concern about Striped Bass, but reminding him that menhaden drive the commerce of all commercial and recreational activities of the entire Atlantic Coast may certainly catch his lackeys' eyes; I'm sanguine enough to know he's won't be reading my email...

Think about it, what gets a bigger rise from a politician, one email/or message containing a partition signed by 1000 people or 1000 emails from people?

VOLUME is the key...

For you lazy azz folks, here's the email address for the Grand Poobah himself: WLRoss@doc.gov

Edited by Roccus7

4 hours ago, FlatWing said:

I get that Frazerp and Drew are understandably bitter over ASMFC's discounting of the letters that they received, but having been involved in many environmental issues since 1981, I can state unequivocally that letters and petitions provided by environmental organizations for member and/or general public signature have proven to be a very effective means of bringing about change.

I want to add one more thing - I'm in no way bitter or even slightly upset about that - it's the correct thing to do. Any form letter, any petition should go straight to the trash can.