ASrod

Back Bay Rod Recommendations

Rate this topic

33 posts in this topic

7 hours ago, bayyaker54 said:

I felt the same way about the hook set in the fall last year, so I cut my 10’ down to 9’ this spring and enjoyed catching 20-30lb bass and 16lb blues. I have no regrets what I did. Awesome rod.

Did you cut it off the tip or the butt? I'm assuming the tip. If so, did you put a new tip guide on or just cut it at a guide and leave it?

I have the 8' Avid Surf paired with a 5K CertateLT and after over 100 fish, I would highly recommend it for back bay, inshore...etc it's a very light and capable rod and like Scooby said, the new Certate is next level.

9 mins ago, chitala383 said:

Did you cut it off the tip or the butt? I'm assuming the tip. If so, did you put a new tip guide on or just cut it at a guide and leave it?

Because of the split grip, I cut it just below one of the guides and added a tip. It made it a different rod for sure. The rod performed great in the spring with the big bass, and it handled those monster blues up to 16lbs. I actually blew up my VR125 on these fish, and the rod held strong.  In hindsight I guess I should have bought the 9 foot 6 inch to begin with but I have no regrets of what I did this rod is excellent . I now have it paired with a VS150