ASrod

Back Bay Rod Recommendations

Rate this topic

33 posts in this topic

11 hours ago, ASrod said:

Looking in to a new rod in time for the spring for throwing bombers, swimbaits and occasionally up to 2.5oz poppers. Either an 8’ or a 9’ and I’ll be pairing it with a 4000 sized reel.

I currently using a Van Staal 250 and a 10’ Avid Surf for basically all of my fishing and and I would like to grab a different rod just for the other portion of the fishing I do.

 I’m currently looking at the 8’ Avid Surf and a few similar rods.

What’s everybody’s favorite “back bay” rod?

Century 8' Weapon. Throws 3/8 to a legit 2.5oz.

Casts like a much longer rod, but time distance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, AFMike said:

Century 8' Weapon. Throws 3/8 to a legit 2.5oz.

Casts like a much longer rod, but time distance.

For $650 it better attract 50lbers all day long.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ASrod said:

For $650 it better attract 50lbers all day long.

That's with Ti Torzite guides. Can be had for less.

Rod is fun on schoolies but has the power to handle big fish no problem.

Distance of a 9'-10' rod.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Personally, I don’t think of a 2.5 oz popper as a back bay lure butmaybe your back conditions are different from mine.  For me a back bay rod is one that throws 2 oz tops and can throw 1/2 oz soft plastics well.  If that range, I love the 8’ Blackhole Suzuki or 9’ FSC 1086 (if you can find one).  If you want to throw over 2 oz or work a pencil, the 9’6” Suzuki is a killer rod and probably the best bargain in rods I’ve ever encountered. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, chitala383 said:

I've said it before and I'll say it over and over again. I absolutely love my blackhole Suzuki 10'. It's my go to rod for the bay and light stuff out front. Rated .5-2 oz, but can easily handle 2.5 oz without Problem. Actually, the other night I was casting a needle with a storm wild eye Sandeel as a teaser, combined they weigh about 2.4oz. I was laying into the casts pretty hard and the rod didn't even flinch. I've casted 3oz with it with no problem too. I know a lot of guys around here think it's a joke and are tired of hearing about these rods, but they're the real deal. It's by far my favorite and versatile rod. It can do everything I ask of it, and it does it all well.

How moderate is it?  I've been fishing a 108-3 but I wanted something with just a little more backbone in a similar weight range and was thinking either a Suzuki or a 1081l.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

12 hours ago, AFMike said:

Century 8' Weapon. Throws 3/8 to a legit 2.5oz.

Casts like a much longer rod, but time distance.

 

I hear they cast like a much bigger rod, as you’ve said. I’m hoping to check them out at one the shows this winter. You really enjoy the rod tho? Is it the Jr, or regular weapon 8’?

Edited by MattieG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 mins ago, MattieG said:

 

I hear they cast like a much bigger rod, as you’ve said. I’m hoping to check them out at one the shows this winter. You really enjoy the rod tho? Is it the Jr, or regular weapon 8’?

The Weapon is rated 3/8-2.5oz

The Jr is 1/4 - 1.75oz

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, CoffeeHangover said:

How moderate is it?  I've been fishing a 108-3 but I wanted something with just a little more backbone in a similar weight range and was thinking either a Suzuki or a 1081l.

It's a pretty moderate rod, id say about the same as my  9' st croix mojo 3/4 - 4. Maybe even slightly more moderate. People have complained about weak hooksets with the 10' Suzuki, but I haven't really seen much of a problem. Except for the night a Few weeks ago when I hooked 4 fish but dropped them all. I think that night was a fluke though, and not the fish fluke. My buddy I was fishing with dropped 2 out of 4 that night too. I'm blaming it on half committed strikes, not the rods fault.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, HKJonathan said:

Personally, I don’t think of a 2.5 oz popper as a back bay lure butmaybe your back conditions are different from mine.  For me a back bay rod is one that throws 2 oz tops and can throw 1/2 oz soft plastics well.  If that range, I love the 8’ Blackhole Suzuki or 9’ FSC 1086 (if you can find one).  If you want to throw over 2 oz or work a pencil, the 9’6” Suzuki is a killer rod and probably the best bargain in rods I’ve ever encountered. 

For whatever reason, this summer the best producing lure was the 2 3/8 super strike so I’m not going to question it. It was a pretty calm back bay with maybe 5-6 feet of water at the end of the cast.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Okuma Rockaway, either 8' or 9'

Rated 0.5 to 1.5 oz, very light rods, less than 8 oz

Can throw plug a mile, with a great back-bone.

Less then $100

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Popasilov said:

Okuma Rockaway, either 8' or 9'

Rated 0.5 to 1.5 oz, very light rods, less than 8 oz

Can throw plug a mile, with a great back-bone.

Less then $100

Forgot to mention,

They also make those rated 3/4 to 2 oz.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/29/2019 at 10:47 PM, chitala383 said:

I've said it before and I'll say it over and over again. I absolutely love my blackhole Suzuki 10'. It's my go to rod for the bay and light stuff out front. Rated .5-2 oz, but can easily handle 2.5 oz without Problem. Actually, the other night I was casting a needle with a storm wild eye Sandeel as a teaser, combined they weigh about 2.4oz. I was laying into the casts pretty hard and the rod didn't even flinch. I've casted 3oz with it with no problem too. I know a lot of guys around here think it's a joke and are tired of hearing about these rods, but they're the real deal. It's by far my favorite and versatile rod. It can do everything I ask of it, and it does it all well.

Was looking into getting this myself. I don't see it on the BST forum often though. Heard good things about it.

Edited by kyleeng

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you're not looking to spend a ton, I bought a - 8 ft 3/4-3oz - tsunami trophy 2 for $80 paired with a spinfisher 4500, i'm pretty impressed. Used it on rocks alot in the early fall and it performed awesome. Very light. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/30/2019 at 9:25 PM, chitala383 said:

It's a pretty moderate rod, id say about the same as my  9' st croix mojo 3/4 - 4. Maybe even slightly more moderate. People have complained about weak hooksets with the 10' Suzuki, but I haven't really seen much of a problem. Except for the night a Few weeks ago when I hooked 4 fish but dropped them all. I think that night was a fluke though, and not the fish fluke. My buddy I was fishing with dropped 2 out of 4 that night too. I'm blaming it on half committed strikes, not the rods fault.

I felt the same way about the hook set in the fall last year, so I cut my 10’ down to 9’ this spring and enjoyed catching 20-30lb bass and 16lb blues. I have no regrets what I did. Awesome rod.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.