ASrod

Back Bay Rod Recommendations

Rate this topic

33 posts in this topic

Looking in to a new rod in time for the spring for throwing bombers, swimbaits and occasionally up to 2.5oz poppers. Either an 8’ or a 9’ and I’ll be pairing it with a 4000 sized reel.

I currently using a Van Staal 250 and a 10’ Avid Surf for basically all of my fishing and and I would like to grab a different rod just for the other portion of the fishing I do.

I’m currently looking at the 8’ Avid Surf and a few similar rods.

What’s everybody’s favorite “back bay” rod?

I absolutely love my 9'6 Airwave Elite paired with a shimano stradic 5k as a light budget build. Light, plenty of backbone and nice moderate action. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

I love my 7’6” Star Stellar Lite surf rod.  Use it in the back all spring.  Great rod at a reasonable price. I have mine paired with a vr50 but have also used it with a 4000 size Slammet 3. Have caught bass up to 30” or so on it and it even handled a bunch of big  blues.  

Edited by jesgord

Bat,
so funny, I was just about to recommend the same rod. I picked up the elite 8’8” this year and caught a ton of Bonita and stripers on it this summer. I had a day that a school of 10-12#ers came in and i caught one after another, and that rod worked like a champ. It casts 1/2 to 2 no problem, and it’s a blast to fish on. Guides are nice for the low price. I have the Avid 7’m, and it a great rod, but the 8’8” is a fun rod.

Edited by Jason B

I’ve got the previous version the red one, of the Avid surf in 8’. It’s been my back bay rod for a couple years now. I primarily use it throwing bucktails & sp minnows.

I keep it paired with a vr50 nowadays, pretty light weight setup. I would def recommend the rod. 

1 hour ago, ASrod said:

Looking in to a new rod in time for the spring for throwing bombers, swimbaits and occasionally up to 2.5oz poppers. Either an 8’ or a 9’ and I’ll be pairing it with a 4000 sized reel.

I currently using a Van Staal 250 and a 10’ Avid Surf for basically all of my fishing and and I would like to grab a different rod just for the other portion of the fishing I do.

I’m currently looking at the 8’ Avid Surf and a few similar rods.

What’s everybody’s favorite “back bay” rod?

I have the 8’ avid, I also cut a few inches off the butt because it was too long. If I needed another rod, I would look into the black hole rods.

53 mins ago, bayyaker54 said:

If I needed another rod, I would look into the black hole rods.

I've said it before and I'll say it over and over again. I absolutely love my blackhole Suzuki 10'. It's my go to rod for the bay and light stuff out front. Rated .5-2 oz, but can easily handle 2.5 oz without Problem. Actually, the other night I was casting a needle with a storm wild eye Sandeel as a teaser, combined they weigh about 2.4oz. I was laying into the casts pretty hard and the rod didn't even flinch. I've casted 3oz with it with no problem too. I know a lot of guys around here think it's a joke and are tired of hearing about these rods, but they're the real deal. It's by far my favorite and versatile rod. It can do everything I ask of it, and it does it all well.

I'd have to say, 9' ODM DNA. Very light, excellent build quality and it can be found at a very affordable price. It'll throw everything from lighter plastics and bucktails all the way up to Super Strikes. Its a very versatile rod, definitely a good choice in the back bays but with enough power to be fished out front too. I currently have mine paired with a 6000 Salt X.

2 mins ago, Sandbar1 said:

I'd have to say, 9' ODM DNA. Very light, excellent build quality and it can be found at a very affordable price. It'll throw everything from lighter plastics and bucktails all the way up to Super Strikes. Its a very versatile rod, definitely a good choice in the back bays but with enough power to be fished out front too. I currently have mine paired with a 6000 Salt X.

With that rod would you recommend a 4000 12-14oz reel or 5000 size around 18oz?

8 mins ago, ASrod said:

I think that's a personal preference. The SaltX I have mounted on it right now is slightly on the heavier side, around 18oz. I prefer a beefier reel with a larger spool and more stopping power. I did however test it with a 4500 Penn Slammer which is a little over 14 oz and it felt like a very balanced light setup. I think if your choosing to solely fish this setup in the back bay something like the smaller Slammer would be a good choice. I just always go heavier for personal peace of mind.

Edited by Sandbar1

8 mins ago, Sandbar1 said:

I think that's a personal preference. The SaltX I have mounted on it right now is slightly on the heavier side, around 18oz. I prefer a beefier reel with a larger spool and more stopping power. I did however test it with a 4500 Penn Slammer which is a little over 14 oz and it felt like a very balanced light setup. I think if your choosing to solely fish this setup in the back bay something like the smaller Slammer would be a good choice. I just always go heavier for personal peace of mind.

Yeah that’s the thing. I don’t think I need to buy another reel in the 6000 class because I already own a VSX250. If I had the funds, I bet a 150 would be perfect...

8 mins ago, ASrod said:

Yeah that’s the thing. I don’t think I need to buy another reel in the 6000 class because I already own a VSX250. If I had the funds, I bet a 150 would be perfect...

I'd agree with that. At right around 12 oz a 150 would be a nice pairing. Though there are definitely other good reel options for the back bay at a fraction of the cost.

8 hours ago, ASrod said:

I have a Penn slammer 3 4500 on mine.  Feel like a perfect match. 

Edited by 40shades-of-blue