75 posts in this topic

7 mins ago, Fishinbubs 1953 said:

Looks like a full size!. As Tim mentioned about the weight, the owner put the weight on or maybe Bob it did on some. I'm no pro who knows and just trying to help! Bubs 

The original owner was a collector more than a fisherman, and it is unlikely that he did any work on these, based off of the other gear he left behind.

13 hours ago, CharlieK said:

HH,

The FatBoy was my design because when Tony and I got together with Driftwood, most of his designs were pretty standard Danny style and I wanted a much fatter profile.  We made it in a 1 oz. and a 2 oz..  The one you show looks to be a 2 oz and that is  a custom color.  I have never seen that one before and I love it.  The 1 oz was very popular with the guys from the Connecticut Surfcasters and I remember a few of them coming down to Jersey just to pick up a special order we did for them.

The  white and red head swimmers look like his later works probably after he sold Lex.  The rainbow was our standard rainbow pattern.

The larger White with red head does look like Driftwood but the hook hangers are different. We used the black Rosco swivels all the time.  The larger plastic eye on that one tells me it is one of the earliest , probably 1989.

As I said, it is not hard to tell a Spina plug from the many other builders, but it can be difficult at times to separate a Beachcomber from a Driftwood and a Lex and a Spina individual from each other. 

Hi CharlieK,,

the large Rudolph was dewired and delipped because it would not swim.

I tried to tune it so I could fish with it 3 separate trips and it would not do anything.

so it was disassembled and the hangers you see are actually screw eyes that I use in my builds.

now it swims very much like a creek chub giant pikie which is what I was shooting for.

the gang of rudolphs are about 5 inches long and very light.

the rainbow is light but swims great.

I have another for you to look at even though it is in a fishes mouth.

it was given to me by tony as a gift for buying a batch.

he called it his golden danny.

this plug caught me the first bass of the season on top that year.

have a looksee.

HH

5de7366f12424_HHPlugWerxLDP1255.JPG.2259a109384c5be806add19fa9a898e9.JPG

13 hours ago, CharlieK said:

HH,

The FatBoy was my design because when Tony and I got together with Driftwood, most of his designs were pretty standard Danny style and I wanted a much fatter profile.  We made it in a 1 oz. and a 2 oz..  The one you show looks to be a 2 oz and that is  a custom color.  I have never seen that one before and I love it.  The 1 oz was very popular with the guys from the Connecticut Surfcasters and I remember a few of them coming down to Jersey just to pick up a special order we did for them.

The  white and red head swimmers look like his later works probably after he sold Lex.  The rainbow was our standard rainbow pattern.

The larger White with red head does look like Driftwood but the hook hangers are different. We used the black Rosco swivels all the time.  The larger plastic eye on that one tells me it is one of the earliest , probably 1989.

As I said, it is not hard to tell a Spina plug from the many other builders, but it can be difficult at times to separate a Beachcomber from a Driftwood and a Lex and a Spina individual from each other. 

if you look closely at the belly of the big eyed Rudolph you can see where the original hanger holes were,I filled them in and added the screw eyes slightly aft of where they were.

also the drillhole through the entire piece was filled in with epoxy to act as anchor point for the tail screw eye.

it swims killer now.

HH

11 hours ago, CharlieK said:

The first pic is the same plugs as your red head/white and should be about 8 or 9 inches long.  

The second pic shows the comparison of the Driftwood eye to the Hahn eye.  We did use a smaller eye on some smaller models.

IMG_4291.JPG

IMG_4295.JPG

love the top piece.

HH

11 hours ago, CharlieK said:

These three I believe are some of Tony's later works shortly before his passing.  All about 7 inches with surfster lip or z-lip.

IMG_4294.JPG

I have 3 of the top ones but,without the shaved head,they are more like Dannies or cigars.

also I have one of the middle one as well.

same colors on both of what I have.

HH

Charlie 

I believe this is an early one I bought from you at Highstown Firehouse fishing flea market , it always been in my stash of Driftwoods/Lex/Spina which I keep together 

some other plugs from you and Tony over the years and a Hahn sparkle Blue up top in last picture

FBB5A80A-4033-4785-B5BC-082BEC61DC81.jpeg

579A731C-0FC9-416D-8506-310F565BFC00.jpeg

B3F5BFA1-A610-4DED-982B-F253557D6B1E.jpeg

01F0B8C0-E960-4BB6-B71C-F60DDECB622F.jpeg

37 mins ago, jimmy z said:

When plugs look alike, all that tells us is that they look alike. We still don't know who the builder is. I never had a Hahn with numbers on the chin.:howdy:

I had a small pikie in a beachcomber package like the ones pictured on page one..Im still not convinced there Hahns.I have to find that pic...They probably are Hahns but they are to similar to tell apart

Edited by IslandSurf

7 hours ago, connman said:

Charlie 

I believe this is an early one I bought from you at Highstown Firehouse fishing flea market , it always been in my stash of Driftwoods/Lex/Spina which I keep together 

some other plugs from you and Tony over the years and a Hahn sparkle Blue up top in last picture

FBB5A80A-4033-4785-B5BC-082BEC61DC81.jpeg

579A731C-0FC9-416D-8506-310F565BFC00.jpeg

B3F5BFA1-A610-4DED-982B-F253557D6B1E.jpeg

01F0B8C0-E960-4BB6-B71C-F60DDECB622F.jpeg

The top black over white was one of our best sellers, especially if the peanuts showed up that year. I still have my sales kit with all of the colors that were available for that model.  I will be home in a few days and I will post a pic.

The one you show there is a very early one, probable 1989.I can't see the belly, but I would think that there are not belly grommets.

Also the earlier ones all have a hand painted epoxy clear coat that is very obvious compared to the later spray on clear coat, but may be hard to distinguish in a picture.

My guess is that they are Bobs plugs. The lip seems a little thick to me but that could be from the pic. Swim them, yell his name when you make your cast. If you have a fish on the first cast you will have confirmation. 

I received a lure like this from and older gentleman back in the mid to late 80’s . I was fishing in the deal area and he gave me the plug it was probably 4 or 5 Iong . I remember I thought he was in his late 60 or 70 back then. For some reason  Beachcomber  or Driftwood comes to mind . I’ll try to dig it out and take a picture of it. It’s been on my mind for a long time to know who he was because I was a novice at the time.