75 posts in this topic

6 hours ago, CharlieK said:

Hello everyone. 

Sorry for the late response, but all those 15 inch fish  have me worn out and tired and back home for a few days rest.

So here is my take on the OP's pics.  First I think we can all agree that some of the makers mentioned can be totally eliminated , that being Makati, Big Dons and McFadden. Another point to consider here is that plug building is not an exact science and you will find many slight variations of the same model plug from the same builder. 

The argument for Hahn or Beachcomber has valid points on both sides.  I have to say that I am not really familiar with the Beachcombers as they were out long before Tony and I started our personal relationship and formed Driftwood Lures in 1989.  

After knowing Tony and his habits and talent for plugmaking I have to say that he carried his ideas and designs from one endeavor to the next and to the next and to the next. That is Beachcomber with his partner John (Malone?????) not sure of the last name, Driftwood with me, Lex which he started alone and later sold to Scott Pullen, and after that he just produced the plugs out of his daughter"s garage and sold them privately to anyone who had a five dollar bill in their pocket.  The reason I say this is because my main answer to this puzzle is that the three pics by the OP are not Tony's work.  The paint is definately not his style or colors.  If they were his than I have no doubt that after Beachcomber and into Driftwood with me we would have used these colors and style and we did not ever come close.

After saying that I must agree that the paint is screaming Bob Hahn, but I am not qualified to agree with or dispute some of the points made by many of the posters here as to eye and lip placement, grommets etc. I do know that when Driftwood was started we did not use grommets until maybe 1990 .  

If I must cast a vote, than put me down for Hahn.

Islandsurf, I find the picture you posted of additional Beachcomber lures very interesting as to the black scale.  I never knew of Tony doing a scale finish, especially black scale, before he met me.  That color happens to be one of my favorite Creek Chub patterns as I am an avid collector of vintage Creek Chub lures. If you can not, in some way, prove that the black scale swimmer that you posted is indeed a Beachcomber, than I will have to say that I made it and Tony painted it for me.

Now I have to did thru some boxes in my garage to try to find some of my original Driftwood lures Unfortunately, I recently sold a lot of my old stock to an old friend who is building a collection of Jersey made striper lures. Hopefully I can post some pics later.

Thank you Charlie :th:

4 hours ago, Fly By Nite said:

Those look like Bob Hahns that someone may have re-finished.  Strange to see a Hahn with painted hangers.

I have a few with painted hangers. Bob wasn’t the neatest builder. 

11 hours ago, CharlieK said:

Hello everyone. 

Sorry for the late response, but all those 15 inch fish  have me worn out and tired and back home for a few days rest.

So here is my take on the OP's pics.  First I think we can all agree that some of the makers mentioned can be totally eliminated , that being Makati, Big Dons and McFadden. Another point to consider here is that plug building is not an exact science and you will find many slight variations of the same model plug from the same builder. 

The argument for Hahn or Beachcomber has valid points on both sides.  I have to say that I am not really familiar with the Beachcombers as they were out long before Tony and I started our personal relationship and formed Driftwood Lures in 1989.  

After knowing Tony and his habits and talent for plugmaking I have to say that he carried his ideas and designs from one endeavor to the next and to the next and to the next. That is Beachcomber with his partner John (Malone?????) not sure of the last name, Driftwood with me, Lex which he started alone and later sold to Scott Pullen, and after that he just produced the plugs out of his daughter"s garage and sold them privately to anyone who had a five dollar bill in their pocket.  The reason I say this is because my main answer to this puzzle is that the three pics by the OP are not Tony's work.  The paint is definately not his style or colors.  If they were his than I have no doubt that after Beachcomber and into Driftwood with me we would have used these colors and style and we did not ever come close.

After saying that I must agree that the paint is screaming Bob Hahn, but I am not qualified to agree with or dispute some of the points made by many of the posters here as to eye and lip placement, grommets etc. I do know that when Driftwood was started we did not use grommets until maybe 1990 .  

If I must cast a vote, than put me down for Hahn.

Islandsurf, I find the picture you posted of additional Beachcomber lures very interesting as to the black scale.  I never knew of Tony doing a scale finish, especially black scale, before he met me.  That color happens to be one of my favorite Creek Chub patterns as I am an avid collector of vintage Creek Chub lures. If you can not, in some way, prove that the black scale swimmer that you posted is indeed a Beachcomber, than I will have to say that I made it and Tony painted it for me.

Now I have to did thru some boxes in my garage to try to find some of my original Driftwood lures Unfortunately, I recently sold a lot of my old stock to an old friend who is building a collection of Jersey made striper lures. Hopefully I can post some pics later.

The lip,wire,eyes were a match to other Beachcombers i had in the package..I never had the package for that one though and its long gone its an older picture.Thanks for the info

10 mins ago, IslandSurf said:

The lip,wire,eyes were a match to other Beachcombers i had in the package..I never had the package for that one though and its long gone its an older picture.Thanks for the info

Yes , the lips wire and eyes would be a match because Tony made both of them, but show me any other Beachcomber with a black scale finish!

The plastic "doll eyes" could be purchased at most craft stores. I don't consider myself an authority on Bob Hahn plugs, but I think that most of the ones that I may have owned thru the years had a smaller diameter eye than the ones we used on the Driftwood Lures.  As I said before, I am not too familiar with the Beachcombers.

Heres a test for charlieK

bought these from Mr. Spina.

this one he called the fatboy I believe,,,

5de5e476257d3_2013plugpix027.JPG.0069aff9027fca7227b5200003e36ebc.JPG

these below are very light like for LMB all made by Tony.

I put his name on them so I would not forget who made them.

5de5e4833b04b_2013plugpix025.JPG.117f617a5819135de073390d7f0ff213.JPG

I have a few more but,they are buried right now,some that look like his style of danny/cigar with yellow scale pattern.

also I have what I was told was a driftwood plug,it didn't swim well and I modded it it now swims like I wanted it to.

gotta find a shot of it.

HH 

On ‎11‎/‎30‎/‎2019 at 5:24 PM, XBMX said:

Those are 100% Bob Hahn lures from late 1980's. Used to cost $6-8 each in all the Jersey Shore shops.

+1

Early one on the bottom with a later one

IMG_0917.JPG.cd0b76cf80d98e34c2189c6434268d73.JPGIMG_0915.JPG.0dbd58d3b6ee932feae10380e3d10b1b.JPGIMG_0918.JPG.2af979fad75975bc27f32bd6fd12a05d.JPG

10 hours ago, CharlieK said:

The plastic "doll eyes" could be purchased at most craft stores. I don't consider myself an authority on Bob Hahn plugs, but I think that most of the ones that I may have owned thru the years had a smaller diameter eye than the ones we used on the Driftwood Lures.  As I said before, I am not too familiar with the Beachcombers.

That matches what I have of both makers. Hahns had smaller eyes, beachcomber were bigger. 

HH,

The FatBoy was my design because when Tony and I got together with Driftwood, most of his designs were pretty standard Danny style and I wanted a much fatter profile.  We made it in a 1 oz. and a 2 oz..  The one you show looks to be a 2 oz and that is  a custom color.  I have never seen that one before and I love it.  The 1 oz was very popular with the guys from the Connecticut Surfcasters and I remember a few of them coming down to Jersey just to pick up a special order we did for them.

The  white and red head swimmers look like his later works probably after he sold Lex.  The rainbow was our standard rainbow pattern.

The larger White with red head does look like Driftwood but the hook hangers are different. We used the black Rosco swivels all the time.  The larger plastic eye on that one tells me it is one of the earliest , probably 1989.

As I said, it is not hard to tell a Spina plug from the many other builders, but it can be difficult at times to separate a Beachcomber from a Driftwood and a Lex and a Spina individual from each other. 

The first pic is the same plugs as your red head/white and should be about 8 or 9 inches long.  

The second pic shows the comparison of the Driftwood eye to the Hahn eye.  We did use a smaller eye on some smaller models.

IMG_4291.JPG

IMG_4295.JPG

1 min ago, CharlieK said:

The first pic is the same plugs as your red head/white and should be about 8 or 9 inches long.  

The second pic shows the comparison of the Driftwood eye to the Hahn eye.  We did use a smaller eye on some smaller models.

IMG_4291.JPG

IMG_4295.JPG

I remember buying a gazillion of those eyes from Tony :)