75 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, XBMX said:

Those are 100% Bob Hahn lures from late 1980's. Used to cost $6-8 each in all the Jersey Shore shops.

Agreed. I remember cringing when I’d lose one of the blue over white 1 1/4oz surfsters and needed to cough up the $7.49 to replace it :scared: It was worth it...those things caught fish :th: 

@CharlieK - hey Charlie, can you confirm that these are or are not Tony’s creations? Thanks old friend, hope your Thanksgiving was a good one :)

TimS

The position of the eyes does look a little high...not sure if his early stuff was like that. The many I’ve owned over the years all had the eyes more on the sides of the head. 

10 hours ago, IslandSurf said:

Heres more examples of a Beachcomber

20190729_193506.jpg

20190729_193449.jpg

20190127_163046.jpg

20190204_150608.jpg

I fished with Tony for twenty years, through the later years of Beachcomber and the entire Lex Lures adventures :) He’s made so many hundred of different kinds of lures with so many variations, colors, finishes, eyes, lips, etc. It would take CharlieK to convince me that the ones in the OP aren’t Bob Hahn’s :)

Posted (edited) · Report post

20 mins ago, TimS said:

I fished with Tony for twenty years, through the later years of Beachcomber and the entire Lex Lures adventures :) He’s made so many hundred of different kinds of lures with so many variations, colors, finishes, eyes, lips, etc. It would take CharlieK to convince me that the ones in the OP aren’t Bob Hahn’s :)

Ive never seen a Hahn without the eyes sunkin in....Ive never seen one where he just sticks the eyes on the lure and doesnt make the eye socket with the fostner bit.Looking foward to see what Charlie thinks about this.

Edited by IslandSurf

Just now, IslandSurf said:

Ive never seen a Hahn without the eyes sunkin in....Ive never seen one where he just sticks the eyes on the lure and doesnt make the eye socket with the fostner bit.

This is true - and perplexing :)

@CharlieK - you out there?

I notice on the Bob Hahn's, there are grommets. Did he use them in his earlier plugs as well? And, have you ever seen his plugs without the eyes recessed?

Are there grommets on the Beachcombers (hard to see in the pic)? I met Scott from Lex Lures years ago a few times staying with some mutual friends up in Mecca, and I thought they did then (early 2000's). It's also hard to tell, but the face of the Beachcomber seems to have more of a flat look than the ones I have.

Obviously, designs are always changing, so I realize there are no absolutes here.

12 hours ago, IslandSurf said:

Ive never seen a Hahn without the eyes sunkin in....Ive never seen one where he just sticks the eyes on the lure and doesnt make the eye socket with the fostner bit.Looking foward to see what Charlie thinks about this.

All of the early ones were straight on the plug, not set in. 

Paint says Hahn but eye placement is off. Too far to the top. I had/have many beachcombers but not in those colors. 

Hello everyone. 

Sorry for the late response, but all those 15 inch fish  have me worn out and tired and back home for a few days rest.

So here is my take on the OP's pics.  First I think we can all agree that some of the makers mentioned can be totally eliminated , that being Makati, Big Dons and McFadden. Another point to consider here is that plug building is not an exact science and you will find many slight variations of the same model plug from the same builder. 

The argument for Hahn or Beachcomber has valid points on both sides.  I have to say that I am not really familiar with the Beachcombers as they were out long before Tony and I started our personal relationship and formed Driftwood Lures in 1989.  

After knowing Tony and his habits and talent for plugmaking I have to say that he carried his ideas and designs from one endeavor to the next and to the next and to the next. That is Beachcomber with his partner John (Malone?????) not sure of the last name, Driftwood with me, Lex which he started alone and later sold to Scott Pullen, and after that he just produced the plugs out of his daughter"s garage and sold them privately to anyone who had a five dollar bill in their pocket.  The reason I say this is because my main answer to this puzzle is that the three pics by the OP are not Tony's work.  The paint is definately not his style or colors.  If they were his than I have no doubt that after Beachcomber and into Driftwood with me we would have used these colors and style and we did not ever come close.

After saying that I must agree that the paint is screaming Bob Hahn, but I am not qualified to agree with or dispute some of the points made by many of the posters here as to eye and lip placement, grommets etc. I do know that when Driftwood was started we did not use grommets until maybe 1990 .  

If I must cast a vote, than put me down for Hahn.

Islandsurf, I find the picture you posted of additional Beachcomber lures very interesting as to the black scale.  I never knew of Tony doing a scale finish, especially black scale, before he met me.  That color happens to be one of my favorite Creek Chub patterns as I am an avid collector of vintage Creek Chub lures. If you can not, in some way, prove that the black scale swimmer that you posted is indeed a Beachcomber, than I will have to say that I made it and Tony painted it for me.

Now I have to did thru some boxes in my garage to try to find some of my original Driftwood lures Unfortunately, I recently sold a lot of my old stock to an old friend who is building a collection of Jersey made striper lures. Hopefully I can post some pics later.

Edited by CharlieK
Typo