BrianBM

Best Long Island wine

Rate this topic

30 posts in this topic

Brian, I know you asked about red, but our West Coast relatives raved about the Rose at Kontokosta in Greenport. Plus you can check out the Albies blitzing below their bluff.

I tried some Paumanak (sp?) over the summer.  Not bad for a LI cabernet sauvignon.  Little lighter than California C.S., but drinkable.  I find the red blend/meritages from LI to be the best drinkers.  Heavy Merlot base in most of them, but still solid.  Price is definitely over-priced for these wines, but it is what it is.  

On ‎12‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 5:45 PM, BrianBM said:

It's winter, subjectively speaking. There are worse ways to spend time and money than nibbling through different wines, cheeses, sausage, etc.

This thread bought back memories of my good friend , wine maker and a hell of an emt/firefighter, Jason Damianos. Jasons family owns Pindar and Duckwalk vinyards. Jason also owned Jasons Vinyard. He was one of the winemakers at the familys two vinyards and sole winemaker at his dream and vision Jasons.

My favorite all time red wine from Long Island is Pindar s Mythology. A blend of their best red grapes. It doesn't come cheap at 28 bucks, but I like it.

Sadly Jason who was one time married to Jackie Entemann of the bakery family and Martha Clara vinyards died way to young. Jason took me interior on my first real house fire.

Raising my family in the middle of vineyard country sourounded by beautiful beaches and water gives me great memories.

19 hours ago, joetackle said:

No one diggin' Pindar? Too commercial?

Pindar occasionally puts out a good wine, but you have to sort through a lot of mediocre to bad wines to find it.

Worst wine I ever had--not just on Long Island, but anywhere (college days not included)--was a Pindar Sauvignon Blanc.  Honestly tasted like I was siphoning out a camper's holding tank, and kept the hose in my mouth just a little too long. If I hadn't gotten to the spit bucket when I did, I might have created a mess on the floor.

12 hours ago, CWitek said:

Pindar occasionally puts out a good wine, but you have to sort through a lot of mediocre to bad wines to find it.

Worst wine I ever had--not just on Long Island, but anywhere (college days not included)--was a Pindar Sauvignon Blanc.  Honestly tasted like I was siphoning out a camper's holding tank, and kept the hose in my mouth just a little too long. If I hadn't gotten to the spit bucket when I did, I might have created a mess on the floor.

Yeah, they're not all winners. They've had a couple good Merlots.

On ‎2‎/‎13‎/‎2020 at 1:29 PM, joetackle said:

No one diggin' Pindar? Too commercial?

So you didn't read my post right above this one?

3 mins ago, reelfire said:

So you didn't read my post right above this one?

I was reading thru all these posts and don't know how I missed yours. I'm familiar with the Duckwalk connection from a stop we made at Pindar a while back. Pythagoras was one of the blends I got a few bottles of. Nice to get some background on the family ties. Sorry to hear about your friend Jason. Thanks for sharing.

14 hours ago, mike3dr said:

Who the hell would read one of your posts? :)  Hows it going Reel?  When you coming back?

You re right. I don't even want to read what I write. Aint coming back except to fish next October .

My sister-in-law loves Macari Vineyards and her husband wouldnt stop talking their Dos Aguas a summer or two ago. Im really a beer guy but even I couldnt forget how much he raved about that wine.