BrianBM

Best Long Island wine

Rate this topic

30 posts in this topic

that isn't cabernet franc.

Cab franc seems to be the wine grape that grows best on LI.  I like it o.k. with a cheese platter, or chicken, but usually I like something with more body: cab sauvignon, merlot, etc. I see some increasingly pricey rose wines on the market, but they're even lighter. Does L.I. produce a red with a fuller body that's any good?

I think that climate/region is not good for  Cabernet and Merlot. Our winter may be to harsh on those grapes.

That's the reason you will mostly see in our vineyards sort of grapes that like cool weather like Sauvignon Blanc, Pinot Noir and Reisling.

Try any of Chile or Argentina Cabernet, Merlot or Malbec.

You may, also, like Carmenere wine from Chile

There are a few that I enjoy.

Try the Merlot at Clovis Point, and the Meritage at Coffee Pot Cellars.  Coffee Pot also makes a blend that started out as an inexpensive "hamburger" wine, but has turned into something pretty good, which they call "Beasley's Blend" but that is predominantly Cab Franc.  One of the owners at Coffee Pot, which is a husband and wife botique winery--is the winemaker at Osprey's Dominion, where the "Flight" merigage might be what you're looking for,

Clovis also makes a decent Malbec, although it's quite a bit more expensive than what you can typically get from Argentina.

Cabernet Sauvignon is unpredictable on Long Island; some years it's good, many years it isn't.  I've had good ones from both Bedell and Lenz, but right now, don't have any from either winery on hand.  Also had a couple of decent ones from Clovis.

Wolffer Estates on the South Fork have had some good Cabernet Sauvignons and Merlots.  The winemaker there is very good, but the tasting room was redone over the winter ofn 2017, and the atmosphere has changed.  They seem to be focused on the Hamptons and Brooklyn Hipster crowd now, and the tasting room has a very commercial feel, with too much attitude and not enough flexibility.  Too bad, because they make some very good wines.

The other South Fork winerly you might want to explore is Channing Daughters.   It's a very unique place, that does a lot of experimental winemaking and makes limited runs of wines from some grapes that we don't normally see on Long Island, such as Balufrankish and Dornfelder, along with the grapes more usually encountered locally.  You might want to try the "Over and Over" blend there, along with the "Research Cab," a blend which often has very little Cabernet Sauvignon in it, but is good nonetheless.

Finally, you may want to try the "Dos Aguas" blend at Macari; if you try that, remember that Macari doesn't do tastings at its Main Road tasting room; for that, you need to go upt to the Sound Avenue facility.

Those are a few ideas.  My wife and I spend quite a bit of time onn the North Fork (and go to the South Fork wineries in Mid-Winter when the Hamptonites are all back in Manhattan where they belong), and try to hit almost all of the wineries on a two or three year cycle.  Any of them can produce a good wine in any decent year.  However, we usually depend on Clovis Point, Coffee Pot and Paumanok/Palmer (which are now under common ownership); Winemakers Studio (Anthony Nappi Wines), Osprey's Dominion, Lenz and Lieb  also get regular visits.  And then there's Channing Daughters and, until recently, Wolffer every winter.  I'd recommend trying all of those, and would bet that you'll find at least one red that you like among them.

We're headed out this Saturday, after I get back from the pheasant fields.

57 mins ago, BrianBM said:

That joke is older than dirt. Usually heard as a Jewish girl's favorite whine joke.  Gaaaahhhhh.

I heard it as "I wanna go to Miaaaamiiiiii ! " 

Mully,

In the 80’s I liked the white wine from the Bedel vineyard.  CWietk is a man for all Seasonsi. My son Tom is moving into  new Apartment in Patchoge in a week.

Whilst visiting my son,you and I will get together in January and follow Chuck’s advice and sample the wine’s on both Forks during the week.  

Long Island wines ? There are plenty of nice wines. My issue with the entire category is price. That problem likely arises from the cost of doing business in NYS and the cost of land and taxes on the Island. It does not take much effort to to find equivalent to better quality from just about anywhere else ( major wine regions ) at a lower price. I'm not talking about a $2 difference. That said I still buy them to support the regional Long Island producers.

There are some great wines being made on Long Island. A few wineries I might suggest might be worthwhile.  Roanoke recently had a wine rated 95 if you put any value in that. Mccall's 2014 Pinot Noir and Ben's blend. Anthony Nappa (Winemakers Studio and Raphael) makes some tasty offerings. Adam Suprenant's (Coffee Pot and Osprey's Dominion) Meritage and Beasley's blend won't disappoint. Paumanok winery also has a nice portfolio. These are just a few. Part of the fun is exploring,  go and enjoy!