mattlav18

South Florida in February..Bringing a rookie in the salt...

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Hey all,

Planning on taking my brother-in-law on a 2 day burner trip from here in NH to South Florida (Say between Jupiter down to Key West) in Mid February for two guided days fly fishing for.....anything. Besides the obvious big 3 ( I have an annual Andros trip in May chasing them)- I love Jacks, spanish macs, Albies..ehh... "Bonito". Anything oddball that eats flies. My brother-in-law is a Fly/trout guy, and hasn't ever hooked anything saltwater. If you were bringing someone Mid Feb to their first time fly fishing salt water down there and wanted the best possible shot at hungry fish- where would you go? I've been looking at Jupiter inlet with Capt. Scott Hamilton (who was very pleasant and patient with me on the phone), or maybe Key West/ Marquesas trip with a flexible guide not hyper focused on Tarpon, Permit, and Bones. Thanks for your input!

Edited by mattlav18

Posted (edited) · Report post

Any trout fisherman can become adept at SW fly-fishing, once they forget about the way to hook a trout mind set.

A decent well presented 40 foot cast is the basis of success and it goes from there.

Some career ff guides in Florida have an arrogance about them and they have the knowledge to back their attitude up, I throw it back at them and when they know that you are half as good as you think you are, they will give you great service and allow you to enjoy your trip.

Captain Tim Carlisle, Sugarloaf.

FT

Edited by Fishin Technician

I end up in Jupiter around that time for Christmas pretty often and end up fishing the inter coastal areas without a guid and catch a random assortment of fish ranging from snapper to snook. 

If you’re looking for a guide, I do know that Dino, I think he goes by Only on the Fly, should be a good resource if he’s around this time of year. I stumbled into him on the beach and we fished a bit one morning. I think he mentioned he has a boat that’s worthy and he seemed like he knew what he was doing. He very well could be worth contacting, it’s fun to explore on your own as well. Just my two cents but I bet I still owe ya a nickel. 

On 11/28/2019 at 6:31 PM, mattlav18 said:

Hey all,

Planning on taking my brother-in-law on a 2 day burner trip from here in NH to South Florida (Say between Jupiter down to Key West) in Mid February for two guided days fly fishing for.....anything. Besides the obvious big 3 ( I have an annual Andros trip in May chasing them)- I love Jacks, spanish macs, Albies..ehh... "Bonito". Anything oddball that eats flies. My brother-in-law is a Fly/trout guy, and hasn't ever hooked anything saltwater. If you were bringing someone Mid Feb to their first time fly fishing salt water down there and wanted the best possible shot at hungry fish- where would you go? I've been looking at Jupiter inlet with Capt. Scott Hamilton (who was very pleasant and patient with me on the phone), or maybe Key West/ Marquesas trip with a flexible guide not hyper focused on Tarpon, Permit, and Bones. Thanks for your input!

I know Scott well, probably on his boat 15+ times over past few years. His catamaran is great as it is very stable and cuts through waves much better than a traditional V. His is nominally "fly only" though he's allowed me to bring a spinning rod on when my youngest is with us. 

Mid-February could still be in the middle of the blacktip shark migration, though the fishing can be hit or miss. Scott is quite adept at getting blacktips to take a fly, presuming they are around to be caught. Just know that Scott calls them spinner sharks which is arguable. Great articles here on sharks and albies:

http://www.flyfishingextremes.com/articles.html

February might be too early for albies, though there are always smaller ones around (small ones in Florida can run to 10-12 pounds). Spanish can also be here. Plenty of runners, blue, rainbow, etc. And if you stay inshore due to wind, there are jacks and lady fish. Also, there should be some bluefish here at that time and then can be inshore or out off the beach. 

One issue the February is whether he can net live chum for the albies. Makes a big difference. 

If you end up in the Jupiter/Juno area, let me know and we can meet up for a meal or something. 

BTW, Scott usually runs his boat out of Palm Beach Inlet out of Phil Foster Park in Riviera Beach. Only once did we ever meet him up at Burt Reynolds park and go out of Jupiter. 

Man It's all about the weather , I would wait 3 days before a booking charter to see how it looks , been there done that  with my son 2x's 

I would fly to Miami ( cheap flights and plenty of them  remember snow delays coming from the north  ) rent a car drive to Islamorada , if weather is crap then fish back in Flamingo to get out of it = Bud n Mary's marina  , then if it passes you can go out front .I would not be picky as your going to have fun and just catch , all the guides are good & you can dock bargain in mid Feb.