Thumb-Burner

Thinking about a used subaru

45 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, bospa357 said:

:squid: :wag: We're not living in the '80's any longer.

What are you driving that doesn’t have issues at high mileage?  A lot of parts are engineered to wear out quickly. There aren’t even grease fittings on any steering components anymore. So things like ball joints and tie rod ends don’t last like they used to. Then you have wheel bearings that die around 100K, catalytic converts that wear out soon after that and your monthly repair bills start to add up to as much as a new car payment. 

3 hours ago, z-man said:

What are you driving that doesn’t have issues at high mileage?  A lot of parts are engineered to wear out quickly. There aren’t even grease fittings on any steering components anymore. So things like ball joints and tie rod ends don’t last like they used to. Then you have wheel bearings that die around 100K, catalytic converts that wear out soon after that and your monthly repair bills start to add up to as much as a new car payment. 

Toyota Tacoma. Currently a 2010 with 106k. Just a couple general wear items like front brakes, shocks and struts, and new tires. I don't rack up the miles any longer since retirement. My good friend I worked with had the same identical truck. He traded it in last year with 287k miles and it still ran great with very few troubles. Mostly just general maintenance. No "monthly repair bills". These are not isolated cases either. Most well maintained quality made vehicles last way more than 100k miles. 100k was the norm up until the 80's. That's a thing if the past.

16 hours ago, Jimichanga said:

Chevy 2500 utility body 4x4

Ladder rack and snowplow.

Install crew truck

New dodge crew cab 4x4

Service truck

Dodge ram 4x4 reg cab 

Reynolds rack and kayak in the bed

Fishing/backup truck

All stock rims no lifts.

All of my customers in Rehoboth 

drive subarus and really enjoy them.

Work in that area and can say Camp Rehoboth events are like a Subaru car show.  Could be great I don't know.  But the "Ladies" love em'.

11 hours ago, bospa357 said:

Toyota Tacoma. Currently a 2010 with 106k. Just a couple general wear items like front brakes, shocks and struts, and new tires. I don't rack up the miles any longer since retirement. My good friend I worked with had the same identical truck. He traded it in last year with 287k miles and it still ran great with very few troubles. Mostly just general maintenance. No "monthly repair bills". These are not isolated cases either. Most well maintained quality made vehicles last way more than 100k miles. 100k was the norm up until the 80's. That's a thing if the past.

I also drive a Tacoma. I’m at 125K. I just replaced the front wheel bearings a couple months ago and also have a rear axle seal that’s leaking into the rear brake drum. The diff was over a quart low on oil. That’s not going to be a fun repair. 

8 mins ago, z-man said:

I also drive a Tacoma. I’m at 125K. I just replaced the front wheel bearings a couple months ago and also have a rear axle seal that’s leaking into the rear brake drum. The diff was over a quart low on oil. That’s not going to be a fun repair. 

I don't know what to say. I have nothing but good to report with my experiences. My previous Tacoma had 185k when I traded it on the current one. No issues there either.

55 mins ago, z-man said:

I'd be more worried about the front pinion bearing,a qt low  is enough to expose that bearing with nothing but splash oiling. That'll be the expensive no fun repair,can't go into a diff and replace that bearing alone even on a truck with 1/4 of miles you have  on yours.

Have to wonder where that truck is living its life,both wheel bearings/axle seal is not common at that mileage.

On 12/4/2019 at 1:53 PM, modelcitizen said:

I'd be more worried about the front pinion bearing,a qt low  is enough to expose that bearing with nothing but splash oiling. That'll be the expensive no fun repair,can't go into a diff and replace that bearing alone even on a truck with 1/4 of miles you have  on yours.

Have to wonder where that truck is living its life,both wheel bearings/axle seal is not common at that mileage.

It’s pretty much all highway miles with around 10 days on the beach each year. It’s a 2014. Both the wheel bearings and axle seal are common problems.  The axle seals were supposedly never seated properly from the factory. 

Went from an 04 forester to an 02 4runner 2 years ago, the Subaru was way better in the snow, but my wallet is fatter now. If you do get one go without a turbo, they like to die. My brother got a 99 forester up past 200k, I think he bought it at 125k for 3 grand, they can last but seems like you need to get lucky with a good one.

5 hours ago, z-man said:

It’s pretty much all highway miles with around 10 days on the beach each year. It’s a 2014. Both the wheel bearings and axle seal are common problems.  The axle seals were supposedly never seated properly from the factory. 

Disagree about the above being common problems. Yes they do go bad usually with fair amount more miles than you’re listing. History sometimes explains early bearing failure. 

Lift,aftermarket different offset wheels,larger tires,misalignment,strut/shock faults,carrying heavy loads long term,really bad roads,aggressive driving all factors.

One of my brothers has a 2012 with 165k on it. I’ve serviced it since new. Tires,brakes only maintenance concerns.

My own Tacoma has 211k. One hub bearing changed170k. No noise,caught it way early. Happened to have rotor off and noticed barely perceptible notchiness at a couple spots in rotation. It would have gone easily another 20k before it got noisy. Big on preventative maintenance,I replaced it when I found it. Other side no problem and still in place.

Rear brake shoes,wheel cylinders,drums,axle bearings all seals original as is the clutch.

2 hours ago, modelcitizen said:

Disagree about the above being common problems. Yes they do go bad usually with fair amount more miles than you’re listing. History sometimes explains early bearing failure. 

Lift,aftermarket different offset wheels,larger tires,misalignment,strut/shock faults,carrying heavy loads long term,really bad roads,aggressive driving all factors.

One of my brothers has a 2012 with 165k on it. I’ve serviced it since new. Tires,brakes only maintenance concerns.

My own Tacoma has 211k. One hub bearing changed170k. No noise,caught it way early. Happened to have rotor off and noticed barely perceptible notchiness at a couple spots in rotation. It would have gone easily another 20k before it got noisy. Big on preventative maintenance,I replaced it when I found it. Other side no problem and still in place.

Rear brake shoes,wheel cylinders,drums,axle bearings all seals original as is the clutch.

What year is your Tacoma?  Sounds like you guys got lucky.  Sone people’s bearings are only lasting 70K. Google it. 120K life span seems pretty common for 2nd gen trucks. 

I’ve owned several Tacoma’s and serviced many of them with long term customers that allows me to track their history.

The trucks that get”worked” and used beyond their capacity tend to exhibit accelerated wear on all suspension components-like any make.

Compared to other brands they are more solidly built and tend to withstand use/abuse better and why many Toyota owners have replaced them with another after wearing previous one out.

You see more of these with 2-300k miles and more than you see on all domestic trucks.

Googling info on wear trends of parts doesn’t address individual history of the trucks..I have no problem purchasing one that’s been maintained well with 150k+ miles on it.

3 hours ago, bospa357 said:

I checked a couple YouTube videos. Tacoma front hub/bearing change looks like an easy job.

Yes. Pretty easy if you replace the whole hub. It took me about 2.5 hours to do both front hubs. 

I think we derailed this post enough about Tacoma’s. 
Back to Subaru’s and problems to look out for.

We owned a Legacy and an Outback Sedan. Both had check engine light issues related to O2 sensors and catalytic converters needed to be replaced. Parents has an outback with same issues. 

WRX had a failed air pump system, valves stuck closed. Ended up leaving it as is and used a tuning program to eliminate the related check engine light codes so it could still pass inspection. 
had power steering issues related to a leak under the steering rack.

Also corroded connector in the wiring harness that was a nightmare. When that car was running well it was my favorite car I’ve ever driven. 
Forester XT got a crack in the upper coolant tank near the inter cooler. Was out of commission for a few days while waiting for a replacement tank.  There is also a mesh filter in the oil line that can clog up and cause turbo failures. We traded that car in around 60K before any issues. Other than those items that’s a great SUV and very fast. Best ski trip vehicle ever. 
My brother has a new Crosstrek and the thing burns oil like crazy. Low oil like comes on after only a couple thousand miles. 
All of these Subaru’s burned through brakes like crazy. Needed full brakes every 20 to 30K miles. 

So on our 3rd Subaru- 1 wagon long ago and 2 Foresters since 2006- only reason we g6to the second was my wife was in a serious accident that totaled the 2006-  Subaru's safety record was well deserved based on her experience.  Her 2013 does burn oil-  Soobs aren't alone here-  Use of very low viscosity 0W-20 helps the mpg but it they burn it.  The newer ones are reportedly better.  Wife's got about 75k miles on it and we have had to do a full brake job, deal with a rattling heat shield and replace one tie-rod end.  Otherwise just routine maintenance.  The oil consumption is annoying and was big enough that they there was a class action suit on it a while back.  We love them-  the 2006 wasn't as comfy for my 6'2' frame as the newer one.  They are truly awesome in the snow