Thumb-Burner

Thinking about a used subaru

45 posts in this topic

I had a forester and bunch of years ago and really liked it.  Thinking about getting a new ride first of the year (new as in very used, budget probably around 10K) for hauling around my kayak on top and maybe once or twice a year doing some light beach driving to catch a fish or ten.

Likely will get another forester or an outback but might consider a cross trek or wax with a rack on top.   Thoughts on which engine is best, models I should stay away from etc??  

9 mins ago, Jimichanga said:

What kind of lesbian are you? Need more information before recommending. 

Please don't  post pics.

Knew that was coming.  Good friend of mine wanted an outback and his wife said no way for that very reason!

Posted (edited) · Report post

I've seen stock foresters make it through **** that most pickup trucks couldn't even dream of doing. Very impressive vehicles.

Edited by C.Robin

Foresters/Imprezas post 2004. The SH foresters went through an ugly phase but they’re alright. Plenty of guys have run foresters on the beach. Also a few lift options if you want to go that route. 

8 hours ago, fatbikerjoe said:

Great cars up until 100K, then you have to do a head gasket and timing belt.  That's big $$$$ to do it correctly.

I don’t think Foresters have used timing belts since about 2012. Prior to that it depends on the year and engine type. Something I researched prior to buying my first Forester. I have three of them in the driveway right now. One is my dedicated hunting and fishing vehicle and I treat it just like a truck. Foresters work for me.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Yea, they went to timing chains in  the 2.5 L in 2012 but they reportedly had oil consumption  and some leaking head gasket issues issues out to 2014. The other motors they offered did not.

There is a guy on Utube that walks through different years  and what to watch for.

I can also tell you that on the older ones, it is IMPERATIVE that all suggested routine maintenance is done on time. We had a 98' that had the rear end lock up due to lack of a scheduled fluid change. 

Great vehicles "do all" vehicles though. After some extensive research across all brands for small /mid SUVs , I just purchased a new ( turbo) outback for my main ride. I plan to use it pretty much the same way you are thinking. 

Edited by WeeHooker

On 11/28/2019 at 7:13 AM, Brdhntr47 said:

I don’t think Foresters have used timing belts since about 2012. Prior to that it depends on the year and engine type. Something I researched prior to buying my first Forester. I have three of them in the driveway right now. One is my dedicated hunting and fishing vehicle and I treat it just like a truck. Foresters work for me.

I had a 2008.  It had 80K awesome miles on it.  The car was a beast in the snow.  I tried getting it stuck and could not.  We had the 4 cylinder which was underpowered and I would only recommend the 6 cylinder.  Unfortunately, a growing family and the mandatory 7 year or 105K mile timing belt change did the car in and we traded it in for a Jeep Grand Cherokee.  I've recently looked at the newest third row model but they want big $$$ for it.

On 11/27/2019 at 10:29 PM, Jimichanga said:

What kind of lesbian are you? Need more information before recommending. 

Please don't  post pics.

what do you drive? Big gay truck with big gay rims and gay loud pipes 

4 mins ago, odiemike86 said:

what do you drive? Big gay truck with big gay rims and gay loud pipes 

^^^Angry lesbian

My daughter's 2016 Forester is a great car with the eye sight package

Subarus are great cars. Between my wife and I we have owned 4. I wouldn’t want one with high mileage though. Once you get around 100K miles things start to fail. 

23 mins ago, MitchellNJ said:

^^^Angry lesbian

My daughter's 2016 Forester is a great car with the eye sight package

Angry subarusexual i'm only attracted to subaru  

Got a 2019 Forester for the wife this summer.

Ran it all around Race Point this fall with no issues, actually as good as the Xterra and the 2 Grand Cherokees we had on the sand. So light it just floats along I guess.

Go anywhere, 30mpg.....not to bad.