Basswiper

Surf Clams.

Rate this topic

42 posts in this topic

8 hours ago, Sudsy said:

Pallone would certainly be on that list

 

5ddfdc7846391_GreatlakesDredging.jpg.85365397212eb3e4de207e137c18d806.jpg

That’s a great investment for them considering I was told replenishment cost $5 million/mile...in 1996. It’s probably $15 million by now. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All of this arguing, it's obviously a combination of the clams near shore getting buried by beach replenishment, clam habitat changing (there have been a billion studies showing ocean temperatures are higher than they were 30 years, it's not like that information is hard to find), and overharvesting. It's the same things that affect every other species in our waters and why fishing has declined so much and we have strict limits on most fish. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, stranded1 said:

All of this arguing, it's obviously a combination of the clams near shore getting buried by beach replenishment, clam habitat changing (there have been a billion studies showing ocean temperatures are higher than they were 30 years, it's not like that information is hard to find), and overharvesting. It's the same things that affect every other species in our waters and why fishing has declined so much and we have strict limits on most fish. 

This is spot on.

 

However there are two of those three things that are under human control. And blaming one third of a three part problem is purely stoopid. And is typical human arrogance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 mins ago, Ben Lippen said:

This is spot on.

 

However there are two of those three things that are under human control. And blaming one third of a three part problem is purely stoopid. And is typical human arrogance.

Who do you think was blaming 1/3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted some time ago that army Corp funded 100% of beach replenishment after Sandy but state would be in the hook for more and more to maintain beaches. NJ funds it’s share by charging 1 percent tax on u if u sell your home. U sell ur home in hopatcong and never go to beach u still help homeowners at beach. U want to do something other than whine tell ur congressman u don’t like this. Studies show building up dunes and pumping sand only really protects rich beach front homes. Back bay flooding still affects most of others. The guys with lots of money smart get tax payer to protect their home sorta like pro team owners get taxpayers build their stadiums.

 

i fish ibsp no beach replenishment no clams. Year after replenishment mole crabs back and doxan back. Do an are the tiny clams that are purple orange and white. These guys come back because they are more tolerant of warmer water. 
 

whining on here does no good need to educate yourselves and fight smart if you want something.

 

also I have picked up four bundles of braid fishermen threw or dropped. Perception is everything. If u want public on your side don’t look like slobs that don’t care.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Clams do migrate but in a different way from what most of us think migration is. Most animals get up and move during migration but not clams. When they spawn they release countless eggs into the water that are dispersed by winds and currents in all directions. When they do settle on the bottom it's the luck of the drift. If they end up in warm waters that aren't ideal for them then they usually die off. The ones that ended in cooler waters thrive making it look like the beds have moved north or east. 

The commercial industry is strictly regulated and there is no screwing around with that. Each cage of clams has to be tagged so it can be traced back to it's point of origin. Every commercial clam boat or company has a portion of the yearly quota and are given tags for the quota and no more. A commercial clam company won't touch a cage without a tag. 

An owner of a large clam company once told me. "I want the coldest winter we can have because the colder the winter water temps the better it was for the surf clam. He has over forty years in the industry and I figure he knows what he is talking about. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, DoorGunner said:

Clams do migrate but in a different way from what most of us think migration is. Most animals get up and move during migration but not clams. When they spawn they release countless eggs into the water that are dispersed by winds and currents in all directions. When they do settle on the bottom it's the luck of the drift. If they end up in warm waters that aren't ideal for them then they usually die off. The ones that ended in cooler waters thrive making it look like the beds have moved north or east. 

The commercial industry is strictly regulated and there is no screwing around with that. Each cage of clams has to be tagged so it can be traced back to it's point of origin. Every commercial clam boat or company has a portion of the yearly quota and are given tags for the quota and no more. A commercial clam company won't touch a cage without a tag. 

An owner of a large clam company once told me. "I want the coldest winter we can have because the colder the winter water temps the better it was for the surf clam. He has over forty years in the industry and I figure he knows what he is talking about. 

I'm all for having cold Winters and more moderate Summers. We had a huge die off up this way of soft, hard and razor clams in 2018.  Probably didn't help that everyone was telling everyone about the spots.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gents, thanks for all of your comments! I apologize if I started an argument with this topic but sometimes thats the way it goes for all of us passionate anglers. We show emotion. All good!

 

I also gained some knowledge and seen points that confirm some of my initial thoughts/curiosities and in part the reason why I started this thread. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.