BrianBM

Best wood for a chronically wet set of steps

Rate this topic

49 posts in this topic

I spent a little time sticking the steps from my front door together with wood screws. There's enough ratty wood, on the steps and the risers underneath the steps, to lead me to conclude that a wholesale replacement is in order.

What kind of treated or synthetic wood is best at tolerating chronic moisture? I haven't looked at the state of that art in decades. 

Risers and posts look pretty ratty too. Lots of crumbly wood, big splits around the original nail holes ...  Trex doesn't do well in that use, it's best used for decks.  Hmmm.

Ipe, Brazilian Walnut. Extremely hard wood can withstand just about anything. Harder then an Irish man's head !

5 mins ago, PCstriper said:

Ipe, Brazilian Walnut. Extremely hard wood can withstand just about anything. Harder then an Irish man's head !

Friend of mine built his frame and deck out of this wood. In a 12 by 15 foot deck he used about 15 drill bits and 5 circular saw blades . We put a piece of 2x4 scrap into a roaring fire and it took an hour before it was burning and about as long for it to turn to ash.

Azek is a lot nicer than Trex. Trex has a thin skin of the desired color. The ends of each board will show this. If you hit it too hard with a shovel when it snows, the coating can chip off. The Azek is a lot more money, but for a set of steps I would recommend it heartily. Azek also makes flat white stock in various widths for the risers, and to cover the end stringers for a better finished look. There are also other brands of flat stock(boards) like Kleer. Also, for a scary price, you can get screw kits that have matching plugs. Very easy to use and they look great.

Ipe is so much trouble(and so frikkin heavy) that I'll never do another deck out of it.

3 mins ago, Stewie said:

Ipe is so much trouble(and so frikkin heavy) that I'll never do another deck out of it.

Yeah, I'm getting old too ....