Belmo

Should I Hook Up My Old Hi-Fi

Rate this topic

115 posts in this topic

I've been clearing crap out of my basement -- look for some giveaway stuff here soon :howdy: -- and one of the last things I'm supposed to do is hook up the old Kenwood stereo. It's a receiver, tape deck, DVD player, and 200-CD changer. I've had the damn things since the early 1990s, and have probably 500 CDs and a bunch of tapes (I started listening to music right when CDs were coming out, and never got into vinyl). 

I've been intending to hook it up for a couple of years, but now that I'm close, I'm thinking.... why? I got Amazon music unlimited, which can play almost every CD I have (the only stuff it can't play is the weird and/or rare stuff, like the EP Mudhoney did with Jimmie Dale Gilmore), and I got a decent speaker to stream the music through. I can save a lot of space getting rid of this crap -- the system itself, as well as the CDs, tapes, and all the rest. 

Should I dump it? Should I keep it? What would you humps do? And why? 

10 mins ago, fish'nmagician said:

you should stick your head in the oven.

thanks in advance.

Are you on the rag? Or has that moran Raider managed to make you go on tilt? 

13 mins ago, Belmo said:

I've been clearing crap out of my basement -- look for some giveaway stuff here soon :howdy: -- and one of the last things I'm supposed to do is hook up the old Kenwood stereo. It's a receiver, tape deck, DVD player, and 200-CD changer. I've had the damn things since the early 1990s, and have probably 500 CDs and a bunch of tapes (I started listening to music right when CDs were coming out, and never got into vinyl). 

I've been intending to hook it up for a couple of years, but now that I'm close, I'm thinking.... why? I got Amazon music unlimited, which can play almost every CD I have (the only stuff it can't play is the weird and/or rare stuff, like the EP Mudhoney did with Jimmie Dale Gilmore), and I got a decent speaker to stream the music through. I can save a lot of space getting rid of this crap -- the system itself, as well as the CDs, tapes, and all the rest. 

Should I dump it? Should I keep it? What would you humps do? And why? 

Will it fit in your unfinished tear drop doohickey thing?

Have you tried to turn it on?  Most of this vintage, need to be re-capped..  

My Denon from the 80's is that way.  I just bought a new amp and speakers.  I still have a chitload of vinyl and I like listening to.  I may get a new CD player as I have an equal amount of them as well..

4 mins ago, makomakoman said:

Have you tried to turn it on?  

It works. 

If I had more space, I wouldn't even question it: I'd just hook it up. Buy are flop is small, about 1,400 square feet, and ma basement is small too. I am trying to maximize every inch of space i can, and I can free up a lot of it by getting rid of this crap. 

I'm torn. :shrug:

10 mins ago, Belmo said:

Are you on the rag? Or has that moran Raider managed to make you go on tilt? 

I read it took some asian chick 47K texts to push a guy to off himself,

I think I can do it in much fewer......

Do it Belmo, make the world a better place.

2 mins ago, fish'nmagician said:

I wouldn't give you the satisfaction. I'll keep on livin' just to piss you off. :th:

2 mins ago, fish'nmagician said:

2 mins ago, RiverRaider said:

I think he should draw himself a nice warm bubble bath first

When our you two cupcakes going to consummate this bromance?