mann2

Pushing Ugly Stik maximum weight ratings

Rate this topic

17 posts in this topic

I have seen a few comments here from some in the past about the Ugly Stik's surf rod's ability to throw bait and sinkers.

What actually happens negatively (if anything) when a fisherman pushes his Ugly Stik to the high end of its rated weight ?

For example if the weight of the sinker plus bait used  on a  10'  Ugly Stik (rated for 1-6 ounces) totals 5 or 6 ounces.

Or if if the weight of the sinker plus bait used on an 11' Ugly Stik (rated for 2-8 ounces) totals 7 or 8 ounces.

I can't imagine these  rods would break (or am I wrong?).

What is the downside ,if any,of pushing the Ugly Stik surf rods to the top of their rating?

Thanks,

mann2

Edited by mann2
clarification

Not really a direct answer to your question but... I have an ugly stick rated to 3/4 oz that is regularly used to cast lures up to 1 1/2 oz with no ill effects. That same rod has been used in a pinch to toss 2 oz plus a chunk, so figure about 4 oz total. It didn’t cast well, but it also didn’t break and we were able to catch fish.

1 hour ago, c7272 said:

On the 12' surf rod I've had trouble casting the upper range.  The rod doesn't break, it nearly collapses on itself and the distance is miserable.

The newer 12' conventional has two models:Heavy and Extra Heavy.The Heavy is rated  is rated 4-10 oz.The Extra Heavy is rated  is rated 6-12 oz.

The newer 12' spinning is  rated 3-8 oz

The older (pre-2017?) 12' conventional has two models:Heavy and Extra Heavy.The Heavy was rated 2-12 oz.The Extra Heavy was rated  6-24 oz ,which seems extremely high.

The older 12' spinning was  rated 2-12  oz.

Which rod were you using (casting or spinning; new vs old;and if casting ,H or XH) and if you can remember,what was your sinker weight plus estimated bait weight?

On the older rods the recommended maxim lure/bait rig weights were often not printed on the blank,so if you buy a new one and the recommended maximum lure/bait rig weights are not printed on the blank check the new catalog/website,because on some rods there have been significant changes.

Thanks,

Mann2

Edited by mann2
typo

Spinning, I used as little as 3 ounces of lead and a 3-5 ounce chunk and up to 6 ounces of lead and 12 ounces of bait.  On the larger payload I could only lob it (understandable given its beyond the stated range) but even with the lighter payload I couldn't get a proper cast without feeling like the rod was working against me.  I've relegated it to my closet since and have switched to the Team Daiwa Surf 12' spinning rod, I'm very happy with the switch.

1 hour ago, c7272 said:

Spinning, I used as little as 3 ounces of lead and a 3-5 ounce chunk and up to 6 ounces of lead and 12 ounces of bait.  On the larger payload I could only lob it (understandable given its beyond the stated range) but even with the lighter payload I couldn't get a proper cast without feeling like the rod was working against me.  I've relegated it to my closet since and have switched to the Team Daiwa Surf 12' spinning rod, I'm very happy with the switch.

I assume you were using the older ( pre-2017)   12' spinning Ugly Stik rated 2-12 oz.,not the newer 12' spinning Ugly Stik  rated 3-8 oz. Is that correct?

Thanks c7272. This is very interesting information.

The newer version of the Ugly Stik 12 foot spinning rod  (#USBWSF2040S122) is rated at 3-8 oz so it should have been able to give you a decent cast with your lower payload between 6 and 8 oz,especially when you were slinging the lighter end of that range.

At least its "unbreakable" blank allowed you to lob payloads of up to 18 oz ,though. From what have I read many more expensive surf rods would have broken under that stress,but I guess this is one of Ugly Stik's  major selling points,

I wonder if anyone can offer information on what happens when a fisherman pushes an pre-2017 Ugly Stik surf rod  to the high end of its rated weight ?

There must be a lot of stories out there as these surf rods have been around a long time.

On 11/26/2019 at 6:02 PM, mann2 said:

I wonder if anyone can offer information on what happens when a fisherman pushes an pre-2017 Ugly Stik surf rod  to the high end of its rated weight ?

There must be a lot of stories out there as these surf rods have been around a long time.

Anybody?

My buddy took my 8' Ugly Stik on a party boat. I think it is rated to 6. He used it to throw 12 oz and bait and said he got about 40 feet with it. I wasn't impressed.

There is a video on Youtube of a guy using a freshwater Ugly and throwing a gallon milk jug filled with water across his back yard. 

I have only owned one Ugly Stik, and while it is no longer with me, it still fishes. It has an Alvey reel on it and is used by my son for backtip sharks with his grandfather. 

Edited by Sweetwater

2 hours ago, Sweetwater said:

My buddy took my 8' Ugly Stik on a party boat. I think it is rated to 6. He used it to throw 12 oz and bait and said he got about 40 feet with it. I wasn't impressed.

I don't know how much freedom of movement your friend had on the party boat,but he would probably would have more on a beach or jetty,and that might have improved his casting distance.

That said,12 oz of lead plus an additional couple ounces of bait is more than twice what you believe the Ugly Stik was rated for.That's hardly ideal, so 40 feet of casting distance sounds pretty good , especially compared to some stories I've read about various graphite rods that break because they are casting only slightly more weight than they are rated for. 

I think this story makes a pretty good case for the Ugly Stik.

Thanks for your response,

Edited by mann2
typo

Pushing the weight rating of any Ugly stick I had in the past did nothing to the rod but Casting distance/performance is lessened. Frankly, this goes for just about any rod but the Ugly usually can take that punishment whereas higher content graphite will fail. All these years and they are still very tough rods like them or not.