squandel

Sandeel bite, night fishing

Rate this topic

16 posts in this topic

When fishing areas that are clearly benefitting from the presence of Sandeels, it seems to me that once it gets dark, the bite turns off. I'm wondering if others find this. Knowing the habits of Sandeels, they tend to be burrowed in at dark, coming out at dawn. This is counter to the traditional thinking that Striper fishing turns on at night. Any thoughts?

10 hours ago, squandel said:

When fishing areas that are clearly benefitting from the presence of Sandeels, it seems to me that once it gets dark, the bite turns off. I'm wondering if others find this. Knowing the habits of Sandeels, they tend to be burrowed in at dark, coming out at dawn. This is counter to the traditional thinking that Striper fishing turns on at night. Any thoughts?

Sandeels generally produce fantastic night bites, this is honestly the first time I've ever heard the opposite.

13 mins ago, The Rappin One said:

Needle fish work great at night when sand eels are present. 

I have a couple of needles. But never had success using them.  It looks like a stick on surface of water.  Don´t get how to use them.  Heard slow but its difficult to keep contact line gets too slack at times.  

My experience catching on a night sandeel bite has been tide and wind dependent.  Last hour of incoming through about 1.5 hrs of the drop when the water fills cuts and bowls and is moving.  Winds during these sessions were either non-existent or very light making the surf relatively calm, but there was some white water to work with.  Those nights also happened to be on either side of a full moon and there was some light out.  Not totally dark.  This has been a consistent find for me going back to 2012 where it was true in long island and NJ.  Since then, there have been night sand eel bites that I have hit at these tide markers and conditions in long island and other parts of the striper coast.  I just haven't heard about or seen sandeels in any great number in NJ for some time.  But, before the NE blow a few weeks back in MOCO -- at night where sandeels were present -- the fish were there just the same.  Schoolies and some fat keeper size that have clearly been eating well.  

Note:  This has just been my experience in noticing the patterns.  Others may have caught at night in totally different scenarios.

3 hours ago, jpiercy13 said:

I have a couple of needles. But never had success using them.  It looks like a stick on surface of water.  Don´t get how to use them.  Heard slow but its difficult to keep contact line gets too slack at times.  

picture a bucktail at the end of your line. Much like any other plug/bucktail theres a time and place for each plug. You cant assume SS is the perfect fit for every conidtion.

If theres slack you may need to go a tad bit heavier or you need to time up your retrieve with the motion of the ocean. Wave pulls, slow down; wave pushes, speed up.

Just as with bucktails there are many ways to fish a needle. Most involve slowwwwww and an occasional twitch, but there are guys working them "walk the dog" or like pencil poppers. That's the beauty of a needle. You are not locked in by the plug's configuration.

I usually start slow as above, then go a bit quicker, accentuate the twitch, maybe throw in a straight retrieve. It's all good. The fish will tell you what they want.

From my personal experience, there’s an hour and half hour window after it becomes dark for fish to adjust to the darkness before they start biting again.  So I’ll usually relax for an hour or so after darkness sets in before I start fishing again.  

The black SS sinking worked in the dark again last night on IBSP.....I'm starting to gain confidence in it. The Boone was my go to so I was leary about sinking, but I just needed to learn how to fish it.  As stated above there's many ways....last night dragging off the bar into the trough med-slow using rod tip to place a bit under the surface got strikes. 

IMO the SS sinking is more versatile, but it can't do what the Boone can.  I have a blk Boone but it's hammered......would prob blow apart if fished so it's "vintage" man cave decor.  I need to find nice floater....recommendations?  

On 11/26/2019 at 8:31 AM, Drew C. said:

Generally, dusk is good, then a lull but not should pick back up in the dark. Sometimes it takes a few hours. 

I agree. Usually you get a good dusk bike and then it dies for a while. We used fish sunset and then go out from midnight on. That always seem to produce. But for whatever reason as soon as it gets dark those fish stop biting for a little while in most cases. To be honest I quit trying to figure them out years ago.