flylikabird

Mass. House Votes Ban Cellphone While Driving

Rate this topic

139 posts in this topic

15 mins ago, alpha baiter said:

Crazy. I was driving my loaded dump truck down a very straight fairly high speed road lined by trees and no where to ditch when a car coming the other way veered over the line and was coming right at me. If I went off the road id be into massive trees there was no shoulder to speak of (no thanks I'm not dying cause someone else wants too) if I went on their side of the road and they corrected then it's my fault for whatever horrific crash happens. I was braking but made the conscious decision to hold my lane. I literally said to myself "this person is dead" . She finally looked up and swerved hard out of the way. Before she did I could see she was starring at her phone. I slowed to 35-40 and she was probably going 55. That's a pick her up with a mop situation. Absolutely insane! Hope she learned her lesson. She was a young girl. Would have for sure ended her life and ruined mine pretty good while she was at it. 10 wheel dump not a landscape dump. I was literally sick to my stomach after, it was that close. I remember screaming "are you f@$ing kidding me!!!!!!"  

Glad you and her ok bro

18 hours ago, alpha baiter said:

Crazy. I was driving my loaded dump truck down a very straight fairly high speed road lined by trees and no where to ditch when a car coming the other way veered over the line and was coming right at me. If I went off the road id be into massive trees there was no shoulder to speak of (no thanks I'm not dying cause someone else wants too) if I went on their side of the road and they corrected then it's my fault for whatever horrific crash happens. I was braking but made the conscious decision to hold my lane. I literally said to myself "this person is dead" . She finally looked up and swerved hard out of the way. Before she did I could see she was starring at her phone. I slowed to 35-40 and she was probably going 55. That's a pick her up with a mop situation. Absolutely insane! Hope she learned her lesson. She was a young girl. Would have for sure ended her life and ruined mine pretty good while she was at it. 10 wheel dump not a landscape dump. I was literally sick to my stomach after, it was that close. I remember screaming "are you f@$ing kidding me!!!!!!"  

I'm gonna go home and hug my girls... and then slap them right in the face.. just in case it was one of them.    

Scares the bejeebus out of me.

So I tried one of these Cellphone Car Phone Mounts today and it failed before I even got out of my driveway (800 ft.).

Fortunately I was just driving down to the end of it to get the mail and retrieve a trash bin.

I'm gonna say it was probably driver error in it's mounting.   Gonna do a little research on the mounting aspect or just find another one.  Doh!

giphy.gif

4 mins ago, flylikabird said:

So I tried one of these Cellphone Car Phone Mounts today and it failed before I even got out of my driveway (800 ft.).

Fortunately I was just driving down to the end of it to get the mail and retrieve a trash bin.

I'm gonna say it was probably driver error in it's mounting.   Gonna do a little research on the mounting aspect or just find another one.  Doh!

giphy.gif

Stick on kind? Needs to be a pretty flat surface and clean it good with the alcohol cloth they usually give you. Mine hasn't budged in a couple years.

Yes the stick on kind.   That's a good tip.   I'll try it.  Thanks.

I just returned from a trip to CVS and it was doing good but failed on the return run.   Where's Homer when you need him?

...oh there he is.

giphy.gif

Whether you favor the handheld ban or not the issue will come down to enforcement.  There are bans on this in states, counties, and cities across the US including where I live.  The issue still persists due to a lack of enforcement.  I drive I95 twice a day & the sheer number of idiots drifting lanes with a cell phone in their hand is STAGGERING.  It's not millennials, its not boomers, its not women, its not men, its not the libs or any one group.  It is EVERYONE.  I have almost been hit numerous times; I fear it is only a matter of time until one of these morons kills me.

18 hours ago, flylikabird said:

giphy.gif

I checked, mine is the iOttie brand. It's been stuck over a year, which might have surpassed my previous record using mounting tape instead of a suction cup.

I'm not having an issue with the suction cup, but the other end which holds the phone.   

I'm currently dealing with a GripGo.  The iPhone keeps sliding off the pad.   

I'm thinking of getting one of those vent mounts so it'll be lower and has the clip to hold the phone in place.   

On 11/26/2019 at 7:43 AM, Steve in Mass said:

First off, with the new law, the fines are much too low. Do you really think that someone irresponsible enough to be texting/surfing/talking while driving is gonna give a **** about $100 fine? even $500 and the insurance surcharge is not enough of a deterrent.

The place to start (this is only a blueprint, but should be considered, vetted an explored, and improved upon) is with the insurance companies. They can offer you the option of being a hands free driver or not. When you apply for your insurance, you have to state which you would prefer to be. Of course, you insurance premium will reflect your choice. (And you would be surprised how quickly actuaries can, with the assistance of the free marketplace, be able to calculate the proper cost involved.)

So, if you choose to be hands on, along with your policy, you get a sticker that you must attach to your license plate signaling to the police that you are a hands on driver. It has to be this way, as if it were the other way around, people would just not attach the tag. The default position has to be hands-free.

Now, if you do not have a tag, you can be cited if caught, and it is the INSURANCE COMPANY that levies the "fine." And I am talking something like $10,000, not the measily hundred bucks, plus 10 years worth of sharply increased premiums.

Also, if you are hands free and are involved in an accident while being on the phone, the insurance company would be able to not pay any damage that you as the policy holder suffer (they would still be obligated to the not-at-fault driver.)

This approach would be much more effective, and keep the government (other than the police enforcement) out of it, and therefore cost the taxpayers much less.

Every one of these remedies, proposed as an alternative to government intervention, is still a government intervention. 

A fine, whatever the price point, is a government intervention.

Insurance is a highly regulated industry. Having the insurance companies operate a price premium system based on your choice of phone makes the insurer a state agent. It's a creative idea; points to Steve for thinking of it; but it would require a change of regulation, probably at the statutory level as well as in Massachusetts regulations, and that = state action. 

I politely disagree that a $100 fine is not going to deter anyone.  I also think that $10,000 as a fine might stretch the State Constitution's ban on excessive punishment (if it has one.)

On 11/26/2019 at 1:33 PM, Sea Flat said:

Gotta be honest, I'm happy about this. I know multiple people (my wife included) that just do not possess the ability to talk on the phone and drive safely.

Distraction is the issue.  And most people, not just many, are easily distracted.  They don't like to acknowledge it. 

1 hour ago, BrianBM said:

Every one of these remedies, proposed as an alternative to government intervention, is still a government intervention. 

A fine, whatever the price point, is a government intervention.

Insurance is a highly regulated industry. Having the insurance companies operate a price premium system based on your choice of phone makes the insurer a state agent. It's a creative idea; points to Steve for thinking of it; but it would require a change of regulation, probably at the statutory level as well as in Massachusetts regulations, and that = state action. 

I politely disagree that a $100 fine is not going to deter anyone.  I also think that $10,000 as a fine might stretch the State Constitution's ban on excessive punishment (if it has one.)

As I said, Brian, it is an alternative that I admit would need to be explored and tweaked.

The main sticking point and basis of your argument above is "Insurance is a highly regulated industry." and, as usual, THAT is the problem.

I don't know how many issues drive me nuts because folks can not understand that 99% of the time, if you got the government OUT of it, the void gets filled with creative ideas and the particular problem gets solved, Works all the time, every time. But folks can't grasp that concept. :(

Edited by Steve in Mass

4 hours ago, flylikabird said:

I'm not having an issue with the suction cup, but the other end which holds the phone.   

I'm currently dealing with a GripGo.  The iPhone keeps sliding off the pad.   

I'm thinking of getting one of those vent mounts so it'll be lower and has the clip to hold the phone in place.   

Try to find a mount that has little tabs in the bottom that fold out and support the bottom of the phone. I’m currently running a vent mount and like it. It puts the phone right near the steering wheel on my truck.