flylikabird

Mass. House Votes Ban Cellphone While Driving

Rate this topic

139 posts in this topic

12 mins ago, TimS said:

The DMV won't be involved unless they have to start issuing the stickers and administrating the whole sticker program. The courts would be involved regardless of why people are getting the tickets - using their phones or not having their sticker. Not following how your plan would involve less government?

Hey boss how goes the battle of life? If this bill saves a life and it might be yours then why not give it a shot and actually see how the enforcement of this bill goes forward. Hopefully they will catch a few more of these folks under the influence of drugs no matter what they smoke or swallow with this bill as well.  

18 mins ago, Angler #1 said:

Hey boss how goes the battle of life? If this bill saves a life and it might be yours then why not give it a shot and actually see how the enforcement of this bill goes forward. Hopefully they will catch a few more of these folks under the influence of drugs no matter what they smoke or swallow with this bill as well.  

Carl, I'm all for it, like I've said, anything that reduces the number of idiots texting while driving is worthwhile :th:  

TimS

There was no need for this law. Mass already had existing texting and distracted driving laws. I do not know one person that has been pulled over for distracted driving or texting. I have seen many people texting and reading a paper next to police details and they don't get a ticket. I can point out 50 drivers that are texting or distracted on any given morning during my commute, they are not hard to spot, and I have never seen one get pulled over. As with other things, there is no enforcement of existing laws but the course of action, so the government can take care of us, is to make new laws.

It is now illegal to hold a cell phone if you are the operator of a motor vehicle. How is holding a cell phone while driving more dangerous than holding a cup of coffee, a cookie, or your pecker?

1 hour ago, z-man said:

CT has been hands free since 2005. No issues there. I drive there all the time. 

Same here, I drive an hour on 95 every day. Never once have I heard of a cop using phone-use as an "excuse" to pull someone over.

If they outlaw "hands free" conversation, I'll be able to carry more groceries where the passenger seating was, or can we have passengers so long as we ignore them?

30 mins ago, Stewie said:

If they outlaw "hands free" conversation, I'll be able to carry more groceries where the passenger seating was, or can we have passengers so long as we ignore them?

Muzzles will be included with seatbelts from now on

Posted (edited) · Report post

Just now, nateD said:

Same here, I drive an hour on 95 every day. Never once have I heard of a cop using phone-use as an "excuse" to pull someone over.

That's not true.

A couple of months ago on the news they had a reporter riding with a CT State Trooper that was on patrol specifically targeting cell phone users.

Easy to spot and no shortage of violators pulled over and cited. 

Edited by Gotcow?

6 mins ago, Gotcow? said:

That's not true.

A couple of months ago on the news they had a reporter riding with a CT State Trooper that was on patrol specifically targeting cell phone users.

Easy to spot and no shortage of violators pulled over and cited. 

That's great, I meant as an excuse, like they pull someone over because they look "suspicious" but claim it is because they saw them on their phone.

7 hours ago, Steve in Mass said:

First off, with the new law, the fines are much too low. Do you really think that someone irresponsible enough to be texting/surfing/talking while driving is gonna give a **** about $100 fine? even $500 and the insurance surcharge is not enough of a deterrent.

The place to start (this is only a blueprint, but should be considered, vetted an explored, and improved upon) is with the insurance companies. They can offer you the option of being a hands free driver or not. When you apply for your insurance, you have to state which you would prefer to be. Of course, you insurance premium will reflect your choice. (And you would be surprised how quickly actuaries can, with the assistance of the free marketplace, be able to calculate the proper cost involved.)

So, if you choose to be hands on, along with your policy, you get a sticker that you must attach to your license plate signaling to the police that you are a hands on driver. It has to be this way, as if it were the other way around, people would just not attach the tag. The default position has to be hands-free.

Now, if you do not have a tag, you can be cited if caught, and it is the INSURANCE COMPANY that levies the "fine." And I am talking something like $10,000, not the measily hundred bucks, plus 10 years worth of sharply increased premiums.

Also, if you are hands free and are involved in an accident while being on the phone, the insurance company would be able to not pay any damage that you as the policy holder suffer (they would still be obligated to the not-at-fault driver.)

This approach would be much more effective, and keep the government (other than the police enforcement) out of it, and therefore cost the taxpayers much less.

The only thing that would accomplish is having more people driving uninsured. 

Massachusetts has a seat belt law yet insurance still pays injury and damage claims if you were not wearing a seatbelt.

Besides, the state will never allow anything like that to be implemented if the state cannot get it's share of the take.

Just now, nateD said:

That's great, I meant as an excuse, like they pull someone over because they look "suspicious" but claim it is because they saw them on their phone.

They don't need to.

They just say you were weaving and drifting.

If they want to pull you over..........they will just do it.

3 hours ago, TimS said:

Yes...whether you are talking into the air or holding the phone and talking into the phone, you are equally distracted...and equally dangerous. BOTH should be banned or neither should be banned. Distracted driving has been proven to be very similar to driving while under the influence - and it's the conversation that distracts you, not the holding your phone to your ear.

Damn. That Cash Cab guy should've been having multiple accidents per season.  

22 mins ago, Gotcow? said:

They don't need to.

They just say you were weaving and drifting.

If they want to pull you over..........they will just do it.

"I have zero problem with this, it's the fact that police are gonna target anyone they want no matter what color they are, for what ever reason they create to pull humans over.   They will eff with you at their convince.   

You could be traveling to your next fishing trip and they see you looking at a phone for directions and they don't like your hair cut then BANG!   

You lost a half hour and your late for the captain  or you're possibly in jail."

I don't know what your point is, I was responding to this increased paranoia based on the cell phone driving laws.

Well, I can tell you that the laws in CT have not done squat as far as I'm concerned. I see people talking and texting on their cell phones every day when I'm on the road.

Can’t read through this whole thread right now.

Did they address the issue with the bill requiring cops to track the ethnicities of those people involved in traffic stops?