flylikabird

Mass. House Votes Ban Cellphone While Driving

Rate this topic

139 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Steve in Mass said:

First off, with the new law, the fines are much too low. Do you really think that someone irresponsible enough to be texting/surfing/talking while driving is gonna give a **** about $100 fine? even $500 and the insurance surcharge is not enough of a deterrent.

The place to start (this is only a blueprint, but should be considered, vetted an explored, and improved upon) is with the insurance companies. They can offer you the option of being a hands free driver or not. When you apply for your insurance, you have to state which you would prefer to be. Of course, you insurance premium will reflect your choice. (And you would be surprised how quickly actuaries can, with the assistance of the free marketplace, be able to calculate the proper cost involved.)

So, if you choose to be hands on, along with your policy, you get a sticker that you must attach to your license plate signaling to the police that you are a hands on driver. It has to be this way, as if it were the other way around, people would just not attach the tag. The default position has to be hands-free.

Now, if you do not have a tag, you can be cited if caught, and it is the INSURANCE COMPANY that levies the "fine." And I am talking something like $10,000, not the measily hundred bucks, plus 10 years worth of sharply increased premiums.

Also, if you are hands free and are involved in an accident while being on the phone, the insurance company would be able to not pay any damage that you as the policy holder suffer (they would still be obligated to the not-at-fault driver.)

This approach would be much more effective, and keep the government (other than the police enforcement) out of it, and therefore cost the taxpayers much less.

Are you joking?  Can drunk drivers and drug users get a sticker too?

Okay, whatever.....it is evident that you all are cornered into the government box, and as such, strike back with the most SENSATIONAL comparisons you can find. That is the usual SOP of folks that look to government to solve all the problems in the world .

If you are going to continue to do that and not even start to look at other, more fair, and more effective solutions, well then I can't help you.

And that is sad, because it boxes us into a corner, and makes us less free.... :(

And come back to me in a year  - 18 months and let me know how this works out for ya, cause I think you are gonna be pretty disappointed.

39 mins ago, Steve in Mass said:

And come back to me in a year  - 18 months and let me know how this works out for ya, cause I think you are gonna be pretty disappointed.

CT has been hands free since 2005. No issues there. I drive there all the time. 

3 hours ago, FizzyFish said:

Call it what you like, plenty of information online, with sources, that back up the article.

Does everything that  doesn't "align " with your opinion become  "Fake news"  ?

Here's the funny thing...ironic is actually more correct than funny - Myth Busters did a whole show on this - BOTH hands free AND holding your phone to talk are EXACTLY as dangerous :read: Yes...whether you are talking into the air or holding the phone and talking into the phone, you are equally distracted...and equally dangerous. BOTH should be banned or neither should be banned. Distracted driving has been proven to be very similar to driving while under the influence - and it's the conversation that distracts you, not the holding your phone to your ear.

Texting while driving or reading texts while driving or watching videos or looking through pictures - all should not be allowed while driving, for obvious reasons - but hands free talking is no more or less dangerous than holding the phone to your ear.

In NJ it's been illegal for many years to look at your phone or hold it to your ear...anything that reduces the numbers of morons from texting while they are driving is a start...

TimS

5 hours ago, Steve in Mass said:

This approach would be much more effective, and keep the government (other than the police enforcement) out of it, and therefore cost the taxpayers much less.

What government is involved, other than the police enforcement, now?

1 hour ago, Steve in Mass said:

Steve, do you still have the dinosaur phone, incapable of hands free? 

Gotta be honest, I'm happy about this. I know multiple people (my wife included) that just do not possess the ability to talk on the phone and drive safely.

I heard on the radio that there is, or will be, an app that knows when you are in your car and causes your phone to answer calls and texts with " I am driving and will see that you called when I park". Your phone doesn't buzz or ring. I want this, even though my kids will have to download it and teach me how to use it, over and over again

48 mins ago, TimS said:

What government is involved, other than the police enforcement, now?

The courts, and all the paperwork that goes into that, and the DMV. Likely other things I am presently not htinking of.

37 mins ago, John O' said:

Steve, do you still have the dinosaur phone, incapable of hands free? 

Doesn't matter, when my cell rings while I am driving, it goes un-answered. And frankly, I don't want all that crap in my car to begin with. Computers are for work or home use.

33 mins ago, Stewie said:

I heard on the radio that there is, or will be, an app that knows when you are in your car and causes your phone to answer calls and texts with " I am driving and will see that you called when I park". Your phone doesn't buzz or ring. I want this, even though my kids will have to download it and teach me how to use it, over and over again

This does in fact exist for Smart Phones.

While it sounds appealing, I would be a bit skeptical of the , ah never mind, I will just catch more crap that I should deal with in this forum, better left to elsewhere.... ;)

Posted (edited) · Report post

1 hour ago, TimS said:

Here's the funny thing...ironic is actually more correct than funny - Myth Busters did a whole show on this - BOTH hands free AND holding your phone to talk are EXACTLY as dangerous :read: Yes...whether you are talking into the air or holding the phone and talking into the phone, you are equally distracted...and equally dangerous. BOTH should be banned or neither should be banned. Distracted driving has been proven to be very similar to driving while under the influence - and it's the conversation that distracts you, not the holding your phone to your ear.

Texting while driving or reading texts while driving or watching videos or looking through pictures - all should not be allowed while driving, for obvious reasons - but hands free talking is no more or less dangerous than holding the phone to your ear.

In NJ it's been illegal for many years to look at your phone or hold it to your ear...anything that reduces the numbers of morons from texting while they are driving is a start...

TimS

Yeah, true enough but lets also remember that some people can't walk and chew gum at the same time. These people will never be safe drivers no matter what the laws say. OTOH you can't stop people from talking while they are driving. 

Edited by MakoMike

22 hours ago, flylikabird said:

I'm calling it the Idiocracy Law.

This law was made because of people who can't walk and chew gum at the same time.   

There's a reason most people get cut from sports teams when they tryout for them at the basic entry level.....other than being stupid, it''s because they are uncoordinated as all get out.      

I gotta disagree man....... It's way beyond that.  People get sucked into what's on screen and quite a bit can happen in 5 seconds of not paying attention.

These aren't star taks from 20 years ago.  They're HD TV's and people are ADDICTED to.

It should be a law, it should be enforced.

If you can afford a thousand $ smartphone you can afford a way to go hands free.

I remember 20 years ago  nokia car kits were THE thing to have.....Back then people knew it was a distraction....and nobody even texted back then becase $$ per text.

20 mins ago, Steve in Mass said:

The courts, and all the paperwork that goes into that, and the DMV. Likely other things I am presently not htinking of.

The DMV won't be involved unless they have to start issuing the stickers and administrating the whole sticker program. The courts would be involved regardless of why people are getting the tickets - using their phones or not having their sticker. Not following how your plan would involve less government?