flylikabird

Mass. House Votes Ban Cellphone While Driving

Rate this topic

139 posts in this topic

The latest from Masslive...

Massachusetts House votes to ban handheld cellphone use while driving

This was the first time that the House has voted in favor of a ban, a policy that has passed the Senate in prior years and has the support of Gov. Charlie Baker, a Republican. The Senate is expected to take up a version of a hands-free bill next month.

The House bill would ban drivers from using any mobile electronic device while driving unless the device is being used in hands-free mode. Drivers would be barred from viewing texts, images or videos while driving. The only exception would be viewing a map or navigation system on a device that is affixed to the windshield or mounted on a dashboard or console.

A driver could not hold a phone and put it on speakerphone; it would have to be in a hands-free mode, according to Transportation Committee Chair William Straus, D-Mattapoisett.

There would be exceptions made for emergencies — if someone needs medical assistance, has a disabled car, witnesses a car crash or otherwise needs to call emergency personnel for a safety reason.

Violating the law would be punishable by a $100 fine for a first offense, $250 fine for a second offense and $500 fine for a third or subsequent offense. A ticket would not result in an insurance surcharge.

What are some of your thoughts?

Taking away their phones and their menthol ciggs.

Gonna be some nervous shaky drivers out there.

All kidding aside no one needs to be holding their phone while driving. Lots of cheap handsfree options out there.  

Posted (edited) · Report post

I'm calling it the Idiocracy Law.

This law was made because of people who can't walk and chew gum at the same time.   

There's a reason most people get cut from sports teams when they tryout for them at the basic entry level.....other than being stupid, it''s because they are uncoordinated as all get out.      

Edited by flylikabird

Posted (edited) · Report post

While the spirit of the law is certainly worthwhile, the government should not be involved. There are other free market ways to deal with this problem ten times more effectively at at a lower cost, and preserve liberty and freedom as well.

Edited by Steve in Mass

2 hours ago, troutworm said:

It's about time they finally addressed this serious issue.

I can agree with imposing such a restriction on how a cell phone gets used while those driving a potential death trap get to be on a phone talking and chewing gum, with no clue what is around them going on and the hands needed to steer it are wrapped around a phone . Long over due .

There should be a multitasking test during the driving test and if you fail you can't get your licence.   

Implement it in such a way that if you can't overcome this failure you simply can't drive....young or old.

3 mins ago, flylikabird said:

There should be a multitasking test during the driving test and if you fail you can't get your licence.   

Implement it in such a way that if you can't overcome this failure you simply can't drive....young or old.

total bull**** , it's been proven to be about that same as OUI. 

1 hour ago, Steve in Mass said:

While the spirit of the law is certainly worthwhile, the government should not be involved. There are other free market ways to deal with this problem ten times more effectively at at a lower cost, and preserve liberty and freedom as well.

You are trolling I hope or you don't understand the situation. My wife and I have both been rear ended driving with  somebody texting. 10 times more effective? You are in denial! Your post is absurd!

Hey....I understand people are getting killed and it makes sense to implement some structure to stop the texting accidents....this makes sense. Yet you have to agree that the driver who causes these accidents are distracted enough because they can't multitask. 

If this is not the issue what is it?  Let's try and have an intelligent discussion here.   

No yelling....and please detail your answer.  :D       

Source: https://crashstats.nhtsa.dot.gov/Api/Public/ViewPublication/812700

Distracted Driving in Fatal Crashes, 2017

Fatalities in Distraction-Affected Crashes

In 2017, there were 34,247 fatal crashes in the United States involving 52,274 drivers. As a result of those fatal crashes, 37,133 people were killed.

There were 2,935 fatal crashes that occurred on U.S. roadways in 2017 that involved distraction (9% of all fatal crashes). These crashes involved 2,994 distracted drivers, since some crashes involved more than one distracted driver. Distraction was reported for 6 percent (2,994 of 52,274) of the drivers involved in fatal crashes. In these distraction-affected crashes, 3,166 fatalities (9% of overall fatalities) occurred. Table 1 provides information on crashes, drivers, and fatalities involved in fatal distraction-affected crashes in 2017.

Much attention across the country has been focused on the dangers of using cell phones and other electronic devices while driving. In 2017 there were 401 fatal crashes reported to have involved cell phone use as a distraction (14% of all fatal distraction-affected crashes). For these distraction-affected crashes, the police crash report stated that the driver was talking on, listening to, or engaged in some other cell phone activity at the time of the crash. A total of 434 people died in fatal crashes that involved cell-phone-related activities as distractions.

I hope they make it a MOVING violation and they take a hit on insurance. Was on a 25 mile round trip as a passenger and counted over 20 folks on the phone. Way past due. WE almost got hit twice by the idiots.

2 hours ago, FizzyFish said:

total bull**** , it's been proven to be about that same as OUI. 

Talking with a phone on your ear or texting? I agree texting is probably worse than dui. I drive a large truck full of flammable liquid all day every day I'm all to aware of these morons and their phones. I watch people all day come within inches of their lives starring at their phone to see how many people liked the latest picture of what they had for lunch. Ridiculous. I see far less problems with people having a phone to their ear. The texting / reading your social media while driving is out of control!