Case for air travel

Rate this topic

ChileIrish

43 mins ago, TopwaterPete said:

Yeah so a 1 pc or 2 pc rod will most definitely be "oversized" luggage, which will definitely cost you big bucks. You are way way way better off investing in a travel rod. Most good ones come w cases. Two that come to mind are a Tsunami Classic 3pc Travel Rod ($80-$90) or a St Croix Tidemaster Travel Rod. They also make their Triumph rods in surf/freshwater spinning. The St Croixs come w a hard case, the Tsunami a nylon bag.

I fly with a 9ft 2pc rod, it’s just charged as a regular checked luggage. I think I had to classify it as sports equipment when checking it. I’ve considered getting the Century Sling Shot travel rod, but I figured why bother?

For the price of checking/mailing a rod, you can buy a cheap travel-rod and just carry it on yourself. I have taken this combo to Florida, CR, and the Bahamas in the last year. 

Fiblink Surf Spinning Fishing Rod 4-Piece 9ft Rod, 15-30lb, 1-5oz - $59.99 (amazon)

HobbyLobby Expandable Artwork Storage Tube = $4.99

The storage tube is flimsy plastic, so you'd never want to check in in this thing. I just strap it to the side of my carry-on (standard North Face kids school backpack) and stow it in the overhead storage. Works great.

Here it is bow'd-up on a mutton snapper in Bahamas.

5ddecfedd252f_IMG-5179(1).JPG.e1a141313c78b2ccaebd9b9140e66620.JPG

If only I could cast into it, hook up, and be connected to it. My line would be attached to the chaos and, for a moment, I would mainline the power of nature.

Last time I flew back from Mexico, they made me check my flyrod at the counter after all my other luggage was already checked through which I did not have to do coming down... cost me $100.  Now I check the rods and tackle and carry on my reels.  Check with your airline what they consider "oversized" before buying a rod case because sometimes an inch can cost you (that's what SHE said...LOL)...

BTW, the Flambeu Bazuka case offers the most protection, the Planos can be telescoped smaller but are made of thinner plastic.  I have had a Plano Guide tube cracked in transit by American when they did not pull it as oversized when it went thru their conveyor system... rods didn't break but the case was shot.  For domestic, I try to UPS everything in advance now....

https://www.tackledirect.com/search.html?query=rod+case

I've traveled from Europe to the U.S. on multiple trips with multiple rods up to 11'. Rods have all been 2 pc though and are always checked in.

Typically, I ask the tackle shop for one of the heavier duty card board type tubes they get their rods in, that's what I've used and have never had any issues getting the rods state side without damage.

Regarding reels, those always go in the carry on, with the line on. I've never been asked to remove the line. No issues leaving the U.S. with them or leaving Europe to return home to the U.S. with them.

As some others have suggested, you may want to consider a 2, 3 or more piece rod to make your travels easier.

Hope this helps and good luck.